panic attacks, allergies and deep breaths

Okay, even though I am on seroquel, lamactil, and klonopin, I still have regularanxiety attacks. I have been trying really hard to breath through them, you know-smell the rose, blow out the candle, smell the rose , blow out the candle. This sometimes actually works! But, alas, I have allergies, with a stuffy nose and I refuse to take anything because I take enough pills thankyouverymuch! So, can you imagine the shortness of breath and feeling like you can't breath panic attacks when you actually CAN'T  breath because of your freakin' allergies! Anyone else have this problem? mel

well there are a few options here. CBT and self help books can help to an extend because some of the exercises adjust you to breathing with difficulty without panicking (restricted breathing exposure).

Otherwise, depending on your cocktail, there are meds you can take.  Just ask your dr. It is winter here right now and I have had sinus for the past week.  Pseudoephredine works for me and is safe with my cocktail, but for others sometimes there are anti-hystamines and nasal sprays which are safe and effective.

Talk to you dr about your options - no point suffering in silence.

This is very interesting, because I find that when I take loradatine/pseudoephedrine (claritin/sudafed) it seems to help with my anxiety. It seems to have a bit of a sedating effect that takes the edge off. As always, YMMV.

Yes, I have had allergies all of my life and being stuffed up sometimes leads to worse panic attacks. I get frantic when I can't breathe very well anyway and having a panic disorder has NOT helped this tendancy, to say the least. For me, trying to take slow deep breaths usually leads to me hyperventilating I have not mastered the calm breathing thing very well. I can't take most allergy meds because they raise my bp dangerously for some reason, so I use steam and tigers balm to help with decogestion. I have used Nasacort (triamcinolone acetonide) before and it helped somewhat. However it IS a steroid and should be used with caution if at all.

Anyhoo, you have my complete sympathies  ;)   allergies are evil.

Archived