CrazyBoards.org

Murdered Marine

Fox News

This makes me sick. Have ya'll been following this?

Laurean supposedly slit her throat, dug a shallow grave in his backyard, dumped her body in it, and set her on fire to destroy evidence. Of course the baby is dead.

What really sickens me is that the Marine Corps did nothing to protect this woman. She had already charged him with rape and a trial date was set. Yet he was allowed complete freedom to roam on base with her.

THIS is one reason why women don't go to the police after a rape or sexual assault!

This guy needs to be caught, have his balls cut off, shoved up his ass and have his throat slit and be set on fire. Barring that, I hope he gets caught and raped daily in jail while awaiting his execution.

Croix

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeesh - police are looking for a guy driving a truck in Texas? That dude looks a lot like someone I dated from TX and I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like this...and Croix, I know it's NOT him, but your assesment of punishment could be applied to him as well...and the worst part? This dude was MARRIED. I'm sure they'll find him dead somewhere...not nearly a fair enough punishment.

Well, the military did more to protect her than Walmart or IBM would have as employers!

There was a Military Restraining Order (equivalent to a TRO) against him for 5 months, ending last fall. He never violated it. Not that a piece of paper will stop anyone who wants to do harm to another. She could have requested a continuance or reissue of the MRO anytime if she felt threatened. She didn't. Additionally, if she had resources that she never asked help from: her senior NCO, commanding officer, the sex crime advocate on base, the Jag officer prosecuting her case, the base military police and the NCIS agents. Off base she could have called a women's crisis shelter or the local sheriff. Nobody around her had any indication this would end so horribly.

It always amazes me that people think the military should be responsible for every action of its members, but they don't expect civilian employers should be. If this had happened off-base, he would have been arrested, posted bail and been back at work as well. No difference. We still don't know the story of how she got mixed up with him to begin with, or how the final involvement occurred.

He is obviously a low down, evil snake.

a.m.

there are lots and lots of reasons why she may not have done any of the above, even if she still felt threatened.

people don't embrace you in that situation. even those who are supposed to.

can't write any more about this too triggering :/

-lysergia

I'm sorry lysergia, I know.

From what I understand AM, after she filed the rape charges, she was continually harassed by fellow marines. I would be scared to talk about it or ask for more help too.

I lived at Camp Pendleton a couple of years. There are a bunch of marines who feel that women shouldn't even be allowed in the service. There are tons of accounts of sexual harassment. And the Corps doesn't do enough to protect them, imho. And Yes, I believe the Marine Corps should be held to a higher standard than civilian law enforcement because,

1. You already know you have a larger number of people there that are somewhat hostile to having women there in the first place.

2. The Marine Corps prides themselves on higher standards for everything else. Honor, courage, commitment. Ring a bell?

But I also believe that rape charges are more serious than the court deems. Rape is a Violent crime. I don't think bail is appropriate. If there is any evidence at all, keep em locked up until the trial. But I don't run things.

Dangergirl, I hope they find him dead somewhere. And I hope he suffers.

Croix

Aw man. I just tripped upon this thread... can't watch the news link, I have a hard enough time sleeping when I hear stories like this one sounds. What a bastard. Getting raped daily in jail? Let's find the biggest guy to do it!

There is no such thing as a "fair punishment" here.

Nothing will make this right. Nothing will restore her to her family.

As someone who is often the only person willing to perform evidentiary exams on men reporting SA in the state corrections system (the very few who are willing to report, usually only because of the severity of internal injury), and who also has more than a fair share of personal experience with the subject, I will not wish rape on an inmate.

I'm appalled by the original crime. It is nauseating and it is yet another reminder of how malicious and evil and cruel humans can be.

I'm sorry. Repeating a crime doesn't make it right somehow. There isn't a balance sheet that gets checked off and neutralizes the evil. The law of the talion has its time and place, and it is oh-so-appealing in its simplicity... and it is of limited value. We've developed the legal code quite a bit since Hammurabi, for better or for worse.

People say this and the desire seems to be to "make him [i will assume the male pronoun here, stipulating there are female offenders, blah blah] learn his lesson," "make him know what it feels like," et cetera. I respect that it's motivated by intensity of experience and torture and suffering and violation. Believe me. I'm all about the violent revenge fantasies sometimes.

But "rape the rapist" isn't the answer.

First, why assume that someone who would violate the rights of another person - especially in the sort of gruesome crime that often provokes this response - would have any capacity to empathize? That's always struck me as odd and rather a waste of time.

Second, why provide another rapist with the experience and reinforcement of their own pathology? That's a reward for him. So, what, only the good rapists get to violate the really bad ones? How's that work again?

Third, behaving as badly as the original perpetrator is not what the "white hats" do. Just as McCain - the only candidate who's undergone torture - says the US shouldn't torture, I'll say it: we don't promote and encourage rape. (Note: not a McCain endorsement. Although I'd really like to see the candidates all volunteer to undergo the hell of waterboarding.) Really hard to define yourself as the good guys when you're pushing the rape.

Fourth, where would you like the correctional officers to stop drawing the line for rape? It's hard enough to get them to acknowledge it as it is. It happens anyway, often enough, when COs are casually absent when certain inmates are in isolated areas. If it makes any of you, heaven forbid, feel any better, and I can't think it would, the majority of the male sex offenders I've met (110ish) were raped in prison. And a history of rape was not correlated with meeting the standards for rehabilitation in that program.

If he's so twisted he can't function in society - and rape and premeditated murder would certainly suggest that to me - then do whatever his system does with people who are considered too damn dangerous to be around the rest of humanity. [Once he's convicted. Because I'll also support his right to due process. That could be me. That could be any of us.]

I agree re: bail for rape charges, by the way; at a minimum, third party custody with an approved third party should be added to bail conditions. This is more and more common, probably because of the pressure of jail overcrowding (because of all the drug-related arrests, but anyway...) The local judges reject third parties routinely for inappropriateness. It's a nice change to see.

ETA: remove redundant phrases, clarify another one

There is no such thing as a "fair punishment" here.

Nothing will make this right. Nothing will restore her to her family.

This is true...so what do we do? What do we do for the family? What do we do with a man like this? I don't deny that sending him to prison to be raped (which he surely will be) is going to "teach" him anything...bc as Null said, we don't know what the circumstances were in which the rape charges were brought (how they met, what actually happened, etc.). Prison is meant to rehabilitate some...and to hold those who can't be rehabilitated...I don't have an answer for this but I think about it a lot...especially bc I'd really like it if life were like the wild, wild west again...of course, that would mean I'd be dead for sure, but eh, c'est la vie.

But I also believe that rape charges are more serious than the court deems. Rape is a Violent crime. I don't think bail is appropriate. If there is any evidence at all, keep em locked up until the trial. But I don't run things.

There's a reason for bail. It's called "innocent until proven guilty".

Evidence? Used only to determine amount of bail and any rstrictions placed on freedom while on bail.

What, you've never heard of false accusation, or maybe even falsified evidence? Sure, lock someone up and throw away the key, unly to find out at trial a year later (if they're lucky!) that the accuser lied and the evidence was all drummed up. Anyone remember the Duke rape case? Those three boys were tarred, feathered, and found guilty by the media and public--yet a year later the D.A. that crucified them, well, he's disbarred and up on charges himself. The accuser has no credibility. Three lives are severely damaged.

Thank God they could at least afford a good defense! BUT noooo now we want them locked up, no bail, no trial, eh?

Disgusting.

Just remember--I know DAMN WELL what it's like to be locked up too. Unless you got someone on the outside who can get you a lawyer, it's damn hard to get representation or bail. (well for me at least)

It's easy to go all nuts and say these things when such a crime has been committed--but down that vengeful road lies a path of rights violated and even, one could rightly say, surrendered. But s'all good, they're on the other side of the bars and you don't ever have to think about them.

Good point.

I'll modify my last para: I'd like to see third party considered much more often as a condition of release on bail for sexual assault charges.

Which the local judges are doing, it seems. (And heaven help the defendant who contacts or is perceived to harass the witness. Go directly to jail, do not cross go...)

Standing corrected,

Silver

Hi,

im gonna talk about the military having higher standards than private employers.

I completely agree with everything croix said.

PLUS...isnt the military supposed to protect us? (im not gonna discuss the difference of military vs local police, fbi, etc). my god, we are in "war" and how can we feel protected when members of the same military are hurting each other?

I realize that is a very broad statement. and i could go on and on and on. no, this is not like a IBM employee sexually assaulting another IBM employee.

db

Silver, for what it's worth, i agree wholeheartedly. i'm not a rapist, but i've been raped, by more than one person, in more than one kind of relationship (stranger, date, boyfriend, family).

while i have entertained sick violent revenge fantasies about all of these people (which is why victims and families should never have to make sentencing decisions), i don't wish those things on them. you're right. there would be no point whatsoever.

i don't know what the answer is, but letting someone be tortured in prison isn't it.

and about the media? you're right too VE. we shouldn't have heard about this until after the trial.

-lysergia

(still sickly interested)

OK, to clarify.... I did NOT say let him get raped to teach him a lesson, or that it would be a fair punishment or anything like that. It is strictly for revenge. Let him feel the same pain he caused that poor woman. My opinion. Make him hurt. Bad. Repeatedly.

And yes Silver, it makes my heart smile to know that most sex offenders get raped in prison. They deserve it, especially if their victim was a child.

CNS, no offense, but you are wrong. They deny bail all the time for murderers. I said they should be denied bail if there is any evidence first. Let them sit in jail until their trial so they can't harm the public anymore. That woman might be alive today had they held him.

Her body was found burnt and buried IN HIS BACKYARD and this sick fuck is still on the loose!

As far as torture goes, in the Marine Corps they simulate torture on the marines so they will know what it's like and be prepared for it during wartime. I'm not exactly sure how far they go, but my husband has said they all had to go through it. I'll ask him to explain more.

Croix

Croix, my hubby was a marine too and confirmed as much about the torture. We saw this on the news today and it appears that this man was murdered on or about Dec 14th or 15th so we can all rest easy and not worry about what the justice system will or will not do to him....which brings me back to my original conclusion: the wife did it.

Um, I've looked and found nothing stating that the man was killed. They are assuming SHE was killed around Dec. 14. He has fled the state, leaving behind a note saying she committed suicide, he just buried the body.

The wife may have something to do with it. You never know.

ETA: Allegedly

Croix

I looked too....my hubby had to tell me things ten times today...I don't think my brain is working very well ;) ...the TV must've said SHE and not HE...died...but I still think the wife did it and he fled for his life...especially after the fun conversation hubby and I had over lunch about what life is really like "on base".

CNS, no offense, but you are wrong. They deny bail all the time for murderers. I said they should be denied bail if there is any evidence first. Let them sit in jail until their trial so they can't harm the public anymore. That woman might be alive today had they held him.

Once again I bring up the Duke three.

There WAS "evidence". So said the D.A. BUT said "evidence" was all false. Those boys would have sat in jail a year or more--on nothing but trumped up charges! What justice is THAT???

It's been a while. I don't remember the "evidence" they had. Was it physical? Like the woman went to the hospital and had a rape kit done? It is unfortunate that that happened to those boys. I just wish there were a way to ensure a man can't have contact with a woman once he's been accused of rape. Bad guys don't honor restraining orders. There has to be a better way.

Croix

Archived