CrazyBoards.org

how much lexapro?

Guest spiderman

Hey Spiderman.

30mg is within the range of commonly prescribed.

What are you taking it for? Depression, anxiety, other?

Here's a link to the official prescribing info

that will download as a pdf document.

Are you wanting more because it's not doing its job well, or are you wanting to know if you're getting into toxic ranges? Just curious.

Peace,

Wooster

Guest spiderman

I was given it for anxiety and ocd. I am just wondering how much is safe and how much I will end up on.

Hey Spiderman.

Here's a link to the official [link=http://www.frx.com/pi/lexapro_pi.pdf" target="_blank]prescribing info

[/link] that will download as a pdf document.

Are you wanting more because it's not doing its job well, or are you wanting to know if you're getting into toxic ranges? Just curious.

Peace,

Wooster

I was given it for anxiety and ocd. I am just wondering how much is safe and how much I will end up on.

Usually, the prescribing range is well within the safe limits (some people are just wierd or can't otherwise tolerate that range,) but most doctors will want to switch to a different med or try a combination if you reach the top of the range and it's just not working. You have to give it all time to work though.

Serotonin syndrome is rarely a problem when you are on only one medication. For people on multiple medications that affect serotonin levels, synergistic effects and metabolism issues could come into play. That's one reason we always harp about making sure that all of your doctors know what you are taking. With a very few medications, even first responders need to be informed.

Guest spiderman

Hi,

What is the prescribing limit for LExapro? MY doc is at a top hospital in Boston and he tells me that 10mg of Lexapro is like 2.5 times that amount of Celexa which he believes is close in dose to prozac. I am wondering how much lexapro is about 120mg of prozac?

Usually, the prescribing range is well within the safe limits (some people are just wierd or can't otherwise tolerate that range,) but most doctors will want to switch to a different med or try a combination if you reach the top of the range and it's just not working. You have to give it all time to work though.

Serotonin syndrome is rarely a problem when you are on only one medication. For people on multiple medications that affect serotonin levels, synergistic effects and metabolism issues could come into play. That's one reason we always harp about making sure that all of your doctors know what you are taking. With a very few medications, even first responders need to be informed.

Hi,

What is the prescribing limit for LExapro? MY doc is at a top hospital in Boston and he tells me that 10mg of Lexapro is like 2.5 times that amount of Celexa which he believes is close in dose to prozac. I am wondering how much lexapro is about 120mg of prozac?

You still haven't read the link that Wooster posted, have you?

Guest spiderman

Hi Wooster,

I did read the guide, so it says that 20mg is the max? But I think I have noticed 30mg works better to help with the OCD. So what is the real story of how much is safe to take? The only thing I am worried about is how much is toxic and about the serotonin syndrome. I used to take 120mg of prozac a few years back and that was OK, but not great.

So far I don't seem to have any big issues from the lexapro at all. I am just tired so the pdoc added 100mg in the morning of wellbutrin sr.

Something that concerns me is that before xmas I got a stomach bug like the rest of the family and it went away, but I threw up far more than anyone else and had to go to the er for fluids. I was better in couple days.

Now last week I got that sort of again on a trip and ended up getting more fluids and some stomach med called phernigan. It works great and knocks me out so I sleep good, takes out the nausea. But anyway, I am still not feeling good in my stomach as it still feels lousy and it has been over a week now. So I was wondering if the lexapro could do it? But I started that back at the very beginning of november and was at 20mg for a while and I think even thirty for a bit before I got sick.

Hey Spiderman.

Here's a link to the official [link=http://www.frx.com/pi/lexapro_pi.pdf" target="_blank]prescribing info

[/link] that will download as a pdf document.

Peace,

Wooster

So far I don't seem to have any big issues from the lexapro at all. I am just tired so the pdoc added 100mg in the morning of wellbutrin sr.

Something that concerns me is that before xmas I got a stomach bug like the rest of the family and it went away, but I threw up far more than anyone else and had to go to the er for fluids. I was better in couple days.

1. There's no way to tell if Lexapro made you feel worse longer, or not, than you would have been at the exact same level of health and exact same bug. It's very unlikely that it did, but still you are asking for a definitive statement that no one can honestly give you. You were sick. Period. For all I know, you haven't given yourself time to recover, so you still feel bad. That happens all the time to people who aren't on SSRIs.

2. Wellbutrin slows down the metabolism of several medications, including OTC meds, by a separate mechanism (And no, you won't get develop serotonin syndrome by combining it with Lexapro, so don't even ask.) That can make a person feel bad as well.

Instead of trying to find out how much more Lexapro you can take, try giving your body time to recover from the holidays and being sick, an give your current dose time to take effect.

Archived