CrazyBoards.org

dexedrine and sleepiness?

ldo

I've always had problems with getting sleepy during the day at odd times, and with Dexedrine I at least don't drop off during business meetings, but I feel that at other times it does occasionally make me sleepy. Anyone else have this problem? I'm not sure how to deal. Fortunately, it's not too severe. I'm able to drive through it ok. (I"ve been having the same sleepy problems, to some extent, all my life but my driving record is clean the last 20 years or so.) Anyway, it comes and goes, I think Dexedrine may aggravate it somewhat, and I'm hoping I can find a way to deal. I've been sleeping sort of ok, doesn't seem to be all THAT closely related to sleep deprivation.

hey ido,

I can't speak to the dexedrine, but I've been taking adderall for 8 months or so (?) and one of the first things I noticed about it was that it makes me sleepy. not unbearable sleepy, but since it calms my thought process down (if you can call a billion unrelated things bouncing around in my head at once a 'thought process'), I think that it just makes me feel calmer over all and for me, quiet mind=calm=sleepy. I'll be fine and not tired if I've got something to concentrate on (class or work for example) but just down time or in between tasks I definitely feel a sort of calm sleepiness.

heck, the first time I took adderall I fell asleep for 4 hours, lol.

I don't know if this has any bearing on what is happening to you, but just wanted to share my sleepy-by-stimulant-story since they seem to be a lot less common. The best thing I can do for myself to combat the sleepy is to keep my mind focused on something. for instance, I listen to NPR or a book on cd, or something random like 'learn spanish quickly!' cds when I'm driving so I have that stimulus as well as driving (this is for highway driving, I don't usually need the distraction when in the city, lol)

goodluck on figuring this out, it's an odd SI/problem/thing to pin down,

m

IIRC, one of the theories is that with the stimulant medicine in the system, the brain no longer needs to self-stimulate itself as chaotically.

And the first coherent signal out of the frontal lobes is "Ah, peace and quiet. Now I can turn off the lights and take my nap."

Eventually the medication wears off, the mental circus goes walkabout, and if you hadn't gotten to bed yet, there's thousands of web pages that *could* be interesting, ready to be hunted down... Which clowns are in charge of which mental hobby trains is left as an exercise for the reader.

Thanks for the responses. I've had the problem with Adderall too. I remember when first taking it a strong urge to either nap or do work, which is a strange pair of urges to get at the same time. I can't always actually fall asleep on the stuff, but when I do, the resulting naps seem more effective than most. Sometimes at lunchtime I'll take the midday dose (if I was up early for the first one) and doze for a while in the car as it takes effect.

Archived