CrazyBoards.org

people who just won't SHUT UP!

mel1

I have started a new job. Right now i'm training and most of it is useless because i am getting paid full salary. But I shouldn't complain but i'm gonna! Every day, the training is at an end, but I can't leave because people want to talk, talk, talk. I just want to go home. Yesterday, I had to drive two and a half hrs. away for training and the "training" lasted for about two hr., half of which was spent waiting for the pizza to come. In the meantime, blah, blah, blah. Then we were all done and it was one more hour of blah blah blah. i had a panic attack because there were about four to five different conversations going on and i am not involved with any of them. i'm just looking at the clock tick tick away for an hour wanting to tell everyone to shut the hell up. it's not like i can't engage in conversation, it's just that everyone seems excessively talkative and it is driving me so crazy. i can't stand all the wasted time that happens when everyone is going blah, blah , blah. I have to look professional and i don't think i can help from looking bored out of my mind. i have another month of this. I am basically a quiet person who likes to be alone. i like to read. i like to take naps. i like animals. and some people.

end rant. i know, i'm a whiner.

I apologize for myself and for the rest of the people who cannot bear silence. It drives me insane to be in a room full of people who are ignoring each other. I'm a social animal by nature and just feel this overwhelming desire to interact. Even though I'm a loner by nature, if I'm in a room full of people I just want to talk to *someone*. I don't mind silence if I'm the only one in the room, or in some circumstances, but to have a room full of people just ignoring each other... I see the downfall of society.

That's just me though.

Oh, just to be clear, I don't initiate conversation with someone who clearly does not want to talk. I'm not that pushy. I sometimes don't know when to shut up - but that's a failing I'm attempting to overcome. :-) And for some reason, if I'm in a room full of talking people, I keep to myself. Weird huh? Sometimes, I'll get the ball rolling and fade into the background...

Mel - aren't you commuting with someone? Can you tell them that you need to get home to pick up your kids or to take them to some sort of practice or something? I'm split on this one...I hate the shit that DR mentioned - people who talk just to hear their own voices - SHAT UP AWREADY! I'm also with Path - would someone please SAY something?? And I'm with you - most of that BS those people were talking about was some stupid reality TV show, no doubt? Am I right? I just don't have the time or energy to talk about stupid things...so I don't and it irritates me to no end that people have no idea about what's going on in the world, or engage in the arts or read books. I'm an arrogant fuck - what can I say? (oh, and my tdoc enjoys taking the piss outta me for it too)

Even though I'm a loner by nature, if I'm in a room full of people I just want to talk to *someone*. I don't mind silence if I'm the only one in the room, or in some circumstances, but to have a room full of people just ignoring each other...

---

...Oh, just to be clear, I don't initiate conversation with someone who clearly does not want to talk. I'm not that pushy. I sometimes don't know when to shut up - but that's a failing I'm attempting to overcome. :-)

I'm exactly the same way patheral--

I love my space and my silence and alone time, BUT,

hatehate that awful silence that sometimes covers a room full of people like a blanket..an ichy blanket..it's so uncomfortable and unnatural feeling to me to be sitting around a table not making eye contact or anything with a dozen people in the room, 'somebody say SOMETHING!'

am the same way in class (college) when a professor asks a really easy question, and is standing in the middle of a room of 20 semi-intelligent people who KNOW the answer, and

((crickets))

nobody says anything!

I'm that annoying person who always raises her hand because I find it so so painful to hear the teacher say "anybody? come-on, what do you all think?" -- "really? nobody has an idea?" -- "I know that one of you has the answer, don't be afraid to shout it out.."

((BEULER?))

and yes, sometimes I get on a blahblahblah roll and don't know when to shut up.

like in my posts. this is a good example of me blahblahblahing.

blah,

m

When things were really bad, I wore ear plugs when I didn't have to hear everything; it was the only way I could stand being at work because otherwise I was so distracted...I had problems with everything echoing in my head...hearing things once was bad enough, hearing them repeatedly was WAY TOO MUCH.

I don't know if earplugs would work for you. I have very sensitive hearing, and even with the earplugs in, I could still make out what I had to hear, and I didn't wear them when I really had to hear what was going on, but they certainly made the rest of the time at work more bearable. I owed the idea to my therapist; fortunately, she had problems with "noise" sometimes too, and she used them herself (not in my sessions, I hope).

Sophia

Archived