My migraine miracle

Finally, after years of trying many dozens of preventative meds, I asked my pdoc to give me some wellbutrin to add to my lexapro since it was the only AD I haven't used in a while and the lexapro wasn't cutting it at first. I read here that wellbutrin is used off label for headaches. Within a week I have gone from complete misery to almost completely headache free. I'm only taking 100mg SR. It's awesome. 9/10 of headaches that have broken through have been taken care of easily with 2-3 excedrin.

By the way it seems like most people don't realize this but there is no difference in the ingredients or dose between 'migraine' formula OTC drugs and the regular versions. Read the labels.

• 2 months later...

Wow, really? During my brief sojourn on Wellbutrin (wherein I lost my job, nearly lost the love of my life and felt suicidal pretty much constantly) I would get a migraine every time I neglected to eat, which was often as I had no appetite on it and was too depressed to think of eating...

Yeah, needless to say I've gone running back to the SSRI's.

That's great!!! I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm ever put on an anti-depressant again. I get awful migraines, but I have to say while I was on Depakote (much as I hated the other side effects) I did not get any migraines. Then when I went off it...I've had atleast 2 migraines a week since then. My brain must be fried.

I did know about the migraine strength excedrin being the same stuff as the regular only more expensive...they did manage to fool me when it first came out, I just assumed it was something different, HAHA joke was on me.

• 2 weeks later...

I did know about the migraine strength excedrin being the same stuff as the regular only more expensive...they did manage to fool me when it first came out, I just assumed it was something different, HAHA joke was on me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought *all* Excedrin was supposed to be for "migraines"?  Of course, we don't get the "real" Excedrin up here, have to go to the US for that, but even there I thought it was all labelled for that?

I can't understand how any company can advertise an OTC drug as being for migraines and not find the company president mysteriously bludgeoned to death outside his car one day by zillions of angry people that still have headaches because the pills didn't work...if your headache will go away with taking *only* OTC medication at anything less than approximately four times the maximum recommended dosage, *it's not a migraine*...  *growls at drug companies*

• 2 weeks later...

YOu know,...it never occurred to me before that peraphs my wellbutrin (150mgs SR) might be the reason my migraines have decreased.  At first it seemed to increase "reg h/a's",..but that has gone away, and so has my migraines.  I never thought that maybe that is why.

Archived