CrazyBoards.org

I can't believe I did that

withing

So, I was in the computer lab today, trying to write a paper and was *nearly* finished when suddenly this guy about two rows over starts talking loudly on his cell phone. I wait for him to end this inane conversation, but it just goes on and on. I really didn't want to hear about his lunch, and what he was going to have for dinner, but I guess I had no choice. The woman next to me started complaining under her breath, and heads were popping up all over (gophers anyone?). A couple of people made rude comments and left, and the air was full of tsks, giggles, and heavy sighs. This guy just jabbered on, oblivious to everything. When he started talking about the hole in his yard - that was surrounded by rocks for some reason - I lost all train of thought - probably trying to figure out why the hole was surrounded by rocks... Then I just lost it.

I wanted to stand up, lean over the computers and tell him to hang the fuck up so the rest of us can concentrate on our school work, but I didn't. No, I got up and walked around and politely said, "Could you either lower your voice or take your conversation outside? I'm trying to concentrate over here."

The idiot had the audacity to look surprised, "Oh, I'm sorry." He told the person on the phone that he was disturbing people and he would have to call them back. About five minutes later, he got up and left. If he were a younger guy, I'd have blamed it on youth, but he was at least in his thirties... He should have known better.

The woman next to me thanked me, but it took me a good twenty minutes to stop shaking over my nerve... Never before have I had the guts to confront someone like that. But really, he's not even supposed to have his phone on in the computer lab, let alone carry on a conversation. I don't know why the attendants didn't say something to him. He was loud enough even for them to hear. I wonder if I'm getting feisty in my old age.

I think you did the right thing. You weren't rude, and some people are either oblivious or like the attention...negative included. Librarys/labs should have a ban on cell phones.

I wanted to stand up, lean over the computers and tell him to hang the fuck up so the rest of us can concentrate on our school work, but I didn't. No, I got up and walked around and politely said, "Could you either lower your voice or take your conversation outside? I'm trying to concentrate over here."

You wanted to say it, but you didn't. That shows maturity and wisdom. ;)

Good for you! If it would have been me in there, I would have gotten so frustrated and angry with this guy that I would have just yelled "shut the hell up!" from my computer. You're lucky you were able to handle it well! I'm surprised no one else in the entire room said anything... I'm sure everyone was grateful you did it, too!

I know how you feel... that story reminds me of a similar situation that happened my freshman year in college. All our dorms have study lounges in them, which everyone who lives in the dorms usually does their homework at. There was this one girl who would sit and talk loudly on either her cell phone or with her boyfriend as if no one else was in the room, EVERY time she was in there (EVERYONE else who had a phone call to make or take would politely leave the room... but not this girl, I guess she was the queen and got to do whatever she wanted?). People would make snarky comments about her or the conversation in a voice clearly meant for her to hear, they would mimic her laugh and try to make HER feel disrupted, and she was constantly given dirty looks by those who could not think over her constant yapping. She KNEW these things were directed at her, yet she would continue day after day!

One day only a few people were in the study lounge, and she started talking on her phone again. Two of my male friends were sitting about two or three couches away from each other and as soon as this girl was done on the phone, one of my friends picked up his phone, called the other one, and they started having an incredibly loud, boring conversation with each other! It was hilarious, they mimicked her exactly, pretending like they weren't in the room with each other.. didn't make eye contact or anything, kept a straight face... talking about what they were doing on the coming weekend, what kind of homework or tests they had coming up, and there was a point where one guy said he was "in the study lounge" and the other said "yeah, me too"! The rest of us were all cracking up, and that girl definitely got the hint. I didn't have to hear her talking on the phone for pretty much the rest of the year!

• 1 month later...

i do a similar thing with people who smoke. it really bugs me when they smoke too close to the entrance/exit of shops - there is a rule here about that. or when they choose to smoke right in the middle of a group of people - so rude!

so i ask them politely to move away, or if they are scary looking, i talk loudly to people near me about how rude it is when people smoke in the wrong place or how bad smoking is for you or how dangerous it could be to someone with severe asthma.

i get weird looks... ;)

and the phone thing - well in australia its illegal to be on your phone in the car - well holding your phone anyway. my aunt winds her window down and politely yells (if thats possible) for them to get off their phone and start driving responsibly. that....is interesting.

It's interesting that someone replied to this today because something else happened with a cell phone that just really annoyed the hell out of me. A classmate of mine asked me to help her with a paper she was writing for another class. She waited for me after our class, but as soon as we got out of class, she got on her cell phone! She stayed on her cell phone for a good long time too! I waited for her to conclude her conversation, I even excused myself to go to the bathroom, and came back and waited some more (trying not to eavesdrop on her conversation). I went and bought some coffee, and hinted that she might *want* to get off the cell phone, and eventually she hung up.

Here's the thing, while she was yammering away on her cell phone, she pulled out her books from the other class and pantomimed to me what she expected me to help her with. I don't think so!

Does anyone else think that was totally rude of her? I almost got up and walked away saying, "Let me know when you're done talking, and I'll think about helping you out." She must have finally caught on that I was getting irked because it was seconds before I did that she hung up.

Does anyone else think that was totally rude of her?

Yes.

Anything along the lines of "You go ahead and take care of that. Call me or leave a message if you still need help." would be perfectly reasonable. Miss Manners might disagree, but that would be a useful question to submit for review.

Yes, that was rude. Technology makes some people stupid and lazy IMO. I always said that if I ever got a cell phone I would end up smashing it to pieces. Now I have one of those prepaid ones for emergencies. I got it only because my two oldest are teens now and I worry less by being reachable at any time. It's those people who are on it like it is an oxygen tank who annoy me. They seem to like to hear themselves talk about nothing all day long. To put others through the agony of their inane, pointless discussions should be against the law. End of rant.

yeah, unfortunately, I have to have mine glued to my hip all day. just on the days when I think everything is going just beautifully, and all is quiet, the nurse calls saying one of my kids is puking. It never fails.

I flipped off a guy the other day, tho... asshole pulled out in front of me, when *I* had the right of way, and he's busy yammering on the cell phone. I think he caught me mouthing multiple "f" words.

Cell phone users, on the whole, are the rudest people I have ever seen. There are multiple crosswalks across two very busy main streets here in town, they're part of the college campus. %^() kids stroll through the crosswalk, talking and walking leisurely... one actually stopped in the middle of the street, must have been an interesting conversation... until I laid on the horn for about a minute.

I've forgotten to turn my cellphone off in the computer lab before.. I hit the ignore button and then turned the phone off. I felt bad. but the girl that expected you to help her....... OMG! I would have been sooooo angry. I'd have been like I'm leaving if you aren't going to listen to what I have to say.

Archived