CrazyBoards.org

Hi all! Haven't been here in a while, I guess 'cause I'm feeling pretty good (crossing fingers & knock wood). I hope others are also feeling better.

I do have a question though and I hope some one can answer it. I now take Abilify on a regular basis as my sig shows. I like it a lot. Yet sometimes I think it is 'over' activating; just on the edge of hypomania, maybe into hypomania, I'm not quite sure. I have been using Klonopin to "take the edge off", these times, yet I was wondering if I could take a small (about 12.5mg) amount of Seroquel instead of the Klonopin? Is it taboo to mix Atypicals?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any answers you may have. And good luck.

Ed

In theory, it is generally not a good idea to double up on AAPs due to the EPS and NMS risks, but in practice, this is quite common with Abilify and Seroquel. In fact, I've taken both myself in much larger dosages (30mg of Abilify and 300mg of Seroquel). I had to stop the Abilify because it caused way too much restless and increased the dysphagia that I already get with Seroquel to an uncomfortable degree.

Since your Abilify dose is quite small and your proposed Seroquel dose is practically miniscule, I do not think you would have any problems. As long as your doctor is willing to prescribe them simultaneously, I would take both without any further thought.

In fact, I'm considering adding 5mg of Abilify back into my med regimen myself.

I take Abilify, and sometimes take Seroquel for sleep, at a larger dose than you're considering (50-100mg), and haven't had any problems. Nor has my pdoc voiced the slightest concern about my using both in this way.

Archived