CrazyBoards.org

Clonidine?

Croix

Anybody try this for sleep? My friend who's daughter has adhd gives this to her for sleep. Says it works like a charm. I'm thinking of asking the boy's dr for some because all other meds poop out at lower doses and has bad side effects at high doses. He does not sleep. I'm exhausted, he's exhausted. We're miserable.

What do you know about this?

Wikipedia - Clonidine

Croix

It is a very potent hypertensive medication. My mom has used it for years. It can have a very strong "dry mouth" side effect and dental caries and decay are a very real possibility, so anyone using it needs to stay on top of it. Be even more careful about dental status if your doctor prescribes breaking open the gel capsules for partial dose or for faster effect since the liquid directly on the teeth can cause decay even faster. It's not a bad drug in this regard, you just can't be casual about your mouth.

Any other effects really aren't comparable given the differences, and probably the differences in dosage your son would get. It does lower blood pressure, so he might feel a bit weak, or get a bit dizzy upon standing.

Good luck,

a.m.

AM isn't kidding - it really is a hell of an antihypertensive medication and it is a peel-lips-off-teeth-upon-waking med as far as dry mouth.

I had 0.2 mg as part of some procedural sedation (benzos and I don't get along) and I developed fairly dramatic postural hypotension. Stand up => sit down Real Fast. Repeat.

The sedative effect often wears off in about a week - unless it is being used for ADD or for restless legs, in which case it often persists.

But - start loooow, go slow, and make that kid drink a lot of water. Not so much that said kid is up all night to pee, mind you. ;)

Oh, and - usually comes in little tablets, so you can probably avoid the gelcap problem. The patches are often too high-dose for kiddos.

One other thought - forgive me, Croix, if you've already discussed this elsewhere and I missed it - but there is interesting overlap between ADD and sleep apnea (and some other sleep disorders, I suspect) in kids. There were some early case series of kids whose ADD 'resolved' after they had tonsillectomies, and they were thought to have had obstructive sleep apnea. There's been more since. Didn't know if this was something you'd already discussed with your peds, but thought I'd mention it just in case... it certainly isn't all kids with ADD, or even the majority of them, but it's something that doesn't always get evaluated.

Thanks guys, it does make me a bit nervous that it is so sedating. I mean, my poor kid needs to sleep but not at the expense of his health. I'll make sure to talk to the dr a good long time about it and ask tons of questions.

We've had a good bit of success changing his diet. Seems chocolate, food colorings, and dyes are what make him bounce off the walls uncontrollably. He's calmer (for a 7yr old) and remembers more now, so we can live without being medicating during the day. It's just nighttime that's still a struggle.

Silver, it wasn't discussed elsewhere but he's had the tonsills and adnoids out. Is it true they can grow back? It's been a few years since we've had a checkup with the ENT.

Croix

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is an old thread, but you're singing my song.

I take it for anxiety. I'm also in need of a BP med (blood pressure) so this works double duty and works well.

I can't believe the other SE's you guys are mentioning. I've had none of them. I went to this because nothing else worked for my anxiety.

Bleeze

I felt totally and utterly stoned the entire time I was on clonidine. Not to mention worst cotton mouth and dry eyes ever. But I loved it because it knocked my anxiety out cold... and that stoned all the time feeling was pretty neat too.

Peace,

Wooster

Archived