Is this the new folder for 50+ people?

Mellow Yellow:

Age doesn't matter, if you're facing issues that have to do with aging.  You could be 37 and have elderly parents and have questions about their care.

I think people in their 40s and 50s are looking to discuss things like pensions, sexual issues, fear of old age, wrinkles, sagging, ageism in the workplace, etc.

Whatever you wanna talk about, if it has to do with age, go to it!

My husband is in his 70s.  Anybody wanna talk about sex after 70???  (I bet the young folks think there IS no sex after 70. he he he)  Tomtyger, where are you????

Glad you're here!

olga

olga, I haven't gone missing, I just didn't know that this folder existed, I'm glad it's here, maybe I can find out if I really am the oldest person in crazyboards.

And yes, there is sex after 60 (I can't speak to 70 yet); but only when the side effects of the psychmeds don't neuter one. Effexor is the worst, and it's the foundation of my med cocktail.

Much of my experience of aging has been very positive. I'll post more when I have a little more time.

Let's hear it for the pre-baby-boomers. Hip hip. . .hip hip. . .hip hip. . .

tom

Hi Mellow:

I've got to go down to the Springer Board and get Raven and Hide and Seek and Sam and the whole crowd up here.  Breeze has a big birthday coming, but she's in denial (g).  Pinky will come too, but I think her weight-gain is really getting to her.  It always takes people a while to find a new board.

Plus, I think there are people here who will come to this folder when they end up with a sick parent or they're losing Grandma and need some help.  I'll do some recruiting.....I didn't spend 20 years in sales for nothing!

Sex every day?  My sweet baboo is still working almost full-time, so most nights he's pooped.  But on the weekends--watch out!!!  But that's fine.  I love sex.....it's free, it's exercise and one of the best things about having a hysterectomy is that you no longer have to use birth control!  YAY!  I never realized how great it is to have unprotected sex.....what fun!  I'm glad all those years of birth control are behind me.

I'll spread the word....

olga

Chronologically Fifty

Physically mixed

Mentally variable

What day is this?

Do I need to give a fuck?

No!

Thank You,let's medicate!

So far(two days) Fifty feels OK

I have big plans

I think

Another Fifties child.

Hey,remember when seatbelts were uncomfortable when you sat on them.

Soooo,you jammmed them under the seat.

Damnably ramdonly,Stasis

Another Fifties child.

Hey,remember when seatbelts were uncomfortable when you sat on them.

Soooo,you jammmed them under the seat.

Damnably ramdonly,Stasis

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, we are fifties children but we don't remember the fifties. Except I distinctly rememeber that Teddy Bear song by Elvis.

That's a good one about seat belts! How about, everyone hated to be the one who had to get up and walk across the living room to change the channel on the TV?

Stasis:

The first car I owned (a '63 Dodge) didn't HAVE seatbelts! heh

Mellow--did you have to wear real stockings with a garter belt?  I remember the days before panty hose.

My parents didn't buy cat food and dog food---they ate our leftovers.

Milk came in glass bottles.

Pregnant women were "in a family way."

TV was black and white.

I loved Ricky Nelson on "Ozzie & Harriet"

I have very clear memories of the 50s.  Eisenhower was president.  I read the "Saturday Evening Post" magazine every week.  Women wore girdles.  Men had crew-cuts. 

I was glad when the 60s came.....

olga

Guest Guest

Stasis:

We had a huge elm tree in back of our house.  I'm not good with heights, but it was probably 30-40 feet tall, at least.  My father ( a major tinkerer/welder/fixit guy) climbed this tree and put a TV antenna up there.  We lived in a hilly area, so no reception without it.

Once he had it up, we got the three networks----and that's all there was, anyway!  A little fuzzy when it was blowing/snowing/raining, but our lives didn't revolve around TV.

My father obviously didn't mind heights.  When he was a teenager, he and his pals once put a Model T car on a guy's carriage house roof on Halloween.  Dad was a pistol.

olga

Fifties child and I remember the fifties.

Dad's '59 Dodge that had clear plastic over the upholstery to protect it and my skin would stick to it. The speedometer was linear and in color. Green lights for slow speeds up to something 35 MPH, then yellow for medium speeds up to 60, and after that it was red, baby, red. Go faster, Dad.  No seatbelts, though.

Listening to our first transistor radio at the beach. Most ly baseball games. Vin Scully. Dodgers. And OO EE OO AH AH, bing bang walla bing bang.

Duck and cover. Civil defence sirens. Godless communism...

The RCA console TV with 13 channels, but only 8 had signal. We had a big ass antenna on the roof. The Jackie Gleason show. Polka Parade, sponsored by Farmer John.

The milk man.

Prescriptions were delivered.

This is fun.

Greeny

Really

of the honest to God fifties

I remember living in Scotia,Ca

where I was born

huge sawmill town,

company owned

every stick.

the air was always full of smoke

they burned all the wood waste then

So when I look back

it all looks golden

like late afternoon sun

wooden sidewalks

jarred the shit out of you

and your trike

my Dad smelled like oil,burned metal

and green redwood

my Grandad was a big boss

he liked to roar through

the mills with my twin and

me

I thought everybody grew up

in a sawmill

Gads,Humboldt County,the asshole of the world

Stasis

Libby:

I'm vain enough to wear pantyhose because I can get the control top ones and I hate jiggling all over the place.....heh...but I've been out of work for almost a year, so I haven't had to climb into them too often.

You asked about the AARP, and I hope someone answers your question.  I haven't joined because I think they sold out the old folks when they sided with the Bush administration on the Medicare legislation.  Medicare and the prescription programs have gotten so complicated that I don't know how the retired people can figure out what to sign up for and which forms to fill out.

You don't need them for discounts:  around here the supermarkets and other places give you the discount as soon as you're 55.  arrrggghhhh....

I loved having a milkman, but we lived in the country, so we also had a grocery man.  I'll be writing about him on my thread one of these days.  Come to think of it, we also had the Freihofer Bakery truck coming regularly.  No deliveries--we were too far out for that.

There was one florist who knew where my parents lived. When I grew up and lived at a distance, I would call this florist to buy flowers for a birthday or anniversary.  The lady who answered the phone had been my first grade teacher.  "Oh, hello Olga!  Where are you living now?"

She would take my order, deliver the flowers on time, and I would mail a check at my leisure.  No bills, no credit cards, no hassle.

Glad you came to visit, Libby!

olga

Speaking of reminiscing...

When my mom and dad got their first electric dryer it was such a big deal we all gathered in the cellar to listen to it play "how dry I am" on little chimes.

The day we moved into our house in 1952 the key broke off in the front door lock and we never bothered to get it fixed in the 8 years we lived there.

I got my first summer job in 1960. I've been in the work force for 45 years. Well, the last five I've been unemployed. But I digress.

This site is so mellow. I'll watch till somebody mentions hat growing old ain't for sissies, then I'll jump in and whine.

catlady

I weigh myself down with sandbags to keep from floating away, but I cannot long believe that painting the sandbags in pretty colors is a reason for living. -- me in 1984

Catlady:

I grew up in a house without plumbing.  After we finally got it, my aunt and uncle from the big city came for a weekend visit.  I went running to them as they got out of the car:

"Aunt Polly and Uncle Stan!!  Guess what? We have a TOILET now!!!"

My mother was mortified.

heh

olga

Speaking of age related mortification....

I had just learned the concept of rounding numbers up or down to the nearest 10 when my dad turned 35.  Like any 5 year old I was obsessed with trying out my new 'trick' at every opportunity.  So I went around telling everyone that my dad was "almost 40". 

Mortified him at the time.  Now he mortifies me by telling everone that story to try and show off that he had a smart little kid.  Who woulda thunk something like that would bite me in the ass 25 years later?

• 2 weeks later...

I' m a fifties baby, 1958.  My parents are in their eightiies!  My mother discovered a lump on my father while they were having sex.  They are llike energizer bunnies.

I remember my mom getting her hair washed aand laquered with hairspray once a week.  I remember the one black and white T.v. set in the living room when I was a small child, and yes we had to get up to change the few channels.

We had used station wagons or ramblers.  What were seatbelts?  I remember standing in the front seat.  We would drive to the Ozarks. 

My older sisters would iron their hair and use juice cans for curlers. My mom wore a girdlel  I would watch her stuff herself into it. My dad would come home and ask where his dinner was.    Oh yea this is a great thread!  Doxie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived