CrazyBoards.org

Benzos and sleep apnea

Rozerem's certainly fine with sleep apnea.

The BZ can be problematic (as can opioids.)

Risperdal's usually fine.

Remeron can be lovely for sleep, IF you're OK with antidepressants (hypo/mania risks for some or many folks with BP II), and I recall one study in which it actually decreased apneic events. Weight gain, however, if it were to happen, would negate any benefit.

I am too wiped too look up the Remeron/apnea study right now, I'm afraid, but I recall it very clearly. Will try to post tomorrow.

Since you are using a Cpap then it should be ok to take a benzo or sleep aid. The doctor will most likely need to adjust your settings because your apnea will get a little worse; however, you need to be faithful in using your machine and having the settings checked. Most machines have a card you take to your doctor and everything prints out and any needed changes are determined from the info. Any changes in your breathing due to the meds should be easy to see and your doc can simply adjust the pressure. If you have an autopap, depending on how big the range is set, you may be fine as is since it automatically adjusts.

Archived