CrazyBoards.org

Caffeine tablets tearing up stomach

To counteract babies who don't sleep and psych meds that put me out, I've been taking caffeine tablets. They do help me stay awake and give me energy but my GOD they rip up my stomach. Any suggestions on what to do to counteract it? I've tried Zantac and Tums beforehand with no such luck.

i've pretty much killed my stomach over ten years between caffeine and psych meds. my stomach hurts all the time, i'm always nauseous, and eating is hell. no drugs help. tried 'em all, and had to go *ahem* off-label.

please get off the caffeine pills (slowly to avoid that massive freakin headache). it isn't worth it. i wouldn't wish this on anybody.

can you talk to your doc about another stim that won't rip up your stomach?

hoping you can find a solution... i know about babies who don't sleep (mine never did, like EVER).

-lysergia

Guest Guest_MaiaM_*

Have you looked into Provigil? It's sometimes used to counteract med-induced sleepiness.

To counteract babies who don't sleep and psych meds that put me out, I've been taking caffeine tablets. They do help me stay awake and give me energy but my GOD they rip up my stomach. Any suggestions on what to do to counteract it? I've tried Zantac and Tums beforehand with no such luck.

i've pretty much killed my stomach over ten years between caffeine and psych meds. my stomach hurts all the time, i'm always nauseous, and eating is hell. no drugs help. tried 'em all, and had to go *ahem* off-label.

please get off the caffeine pills (slowly to avoid that massive freakin headache). it isn't worth it. i wouldn't wish this on anybody.

can you talk to your doc about another stim that won't rip up your stomach?

hoping you can find a solution... i know about babies who don't sleep (mine never did, like EVER).

-lysergia

"Man at cocktail party to doctor: "Doc, it hurts when I do this. What should I do?" Doctor: " Don't do that". ;)

Lay off the caffiene pills. Artificial stimulants aren't good in the long run in more than one way, as your stomach is proving. :shrug:

I learned the same lesson years ago with the megavitamin craze when I was long distance running. I burned my stomach up with vitamin C tabs. It took me years before I could handle anything stronger than Flinstones children vitamins.

Listen to your body.

best, a.m.

And could there be being a reaction between caffeine and meds? Isn't it wellbutrin that you're not supposed to drink coffee with? <poor grammar, I know>

I agree... caffeine pills are bad. Definitely talk to your pdoc, he should be able to do something to help you out.

I know what it's like to be up every hour and 45 minutes around the clock. Please, get some meds that work. There's lots of 'em out there.

"Man at cocktail party to doctor: "Doc, it hurts when I do this. What should I do?" Doctor: " Don't do that". ;)

Lay off the caffiene pills. Artificial stimulants aren't good in the long run in more than one way, as your stomach is proving. :shrug:

Stimulant medications have a place in ADHD and depression treatment... but they usually don't carve a hole in your stomach in the process! IIRC, almost all of the studies showing long-term benefits to caffeine-bearing products used coffee, tea, cocoa, guarana', mate', and the like, so I cannot disagree with the advice to lay off the caffeine pills. Besides, it's the concentrated caffeine that's doing it - Tums and Pepsid won't touch that.

If caffeine's your poison of choice, Cafe Bustelo makes a decent instant espresso. With high-octane sodas, I like Full Throttle (fair warning - I really like grapefruit soda)

I learned the same lesson years ago with the megavitamin craze when I was long distance running. I burned my stomach up with vitamin C tabs. It took me years before I could handle anything stronger than Flinstones children vitamins.

Listen to your body.

best, a.m.

The last time I took a once-daily megavitamin that included a day's supply of iron ... I almost got an up-close review of breakfast. Abuse your body and it can abuse you back. Best not to.

Archived