Nighttime Eating Syndrome

I know there is such a thing because I saw it somewhere, and I've got to have it. I don't get hungry for breakfast until 3pm, and dinner 9pm. Then I want to eat and eat and eat, and stay up as late as I can to eat. Which is all terrible for my diabetes and weight problem.

Does anyone know of any scientific articles that prove this is real?

It's definitely for real. There are 2 different types of night time disorders involving food. One of them is actually a sleeping disorder, called (surprise!) Sleep-Eating Disorder. Generally people with this disorder don't remember anything they've done-- they wake up with no idea why there are dirty dishes in the sink or why they don't feel hungry.  Nighttime Eating Disorder is more of a variant on Binge Eating Disorder, both are often a result of not consuming enough calories, and/or the right kind of calories, throughout the day.

There was some discussion of this on the old board. I don't specificallt know of any related articles, but perhaps I  can link you to the old thread:

Nocturnal-Eating Disorder Topic

This post might be useful: Anti-hypoglycemic diet

Also, perhaps take a look at- Sugar affecting depression/mania?

You might can also take a look around in the archived ED forum at a the multi-page "Binge-Eating" posts to see whether you find more import info or links within. I just linked the ones that I was either familiar with or which just jumped out at me immediately as possibly relevant.

The best-moderated, most popular and recovery-oriented bulletin solely devoted to eating disorders on the web is at Something Fishy. It's essentially an ED recovery portal, so to help you find the bulletin board, look for it by name: Remember it hurts.

Good luck- hope I helped some.

I had a bit of a sleep-eating disorder when I was on remeron and zyprexa at the same time. I don't know if I was sleeping or just really drugged, but I ate TONS of stuff during the night. I'd find an entire box of ding dongs gone or all the ice cream eaten and the tub left out. When I quit remeron it went away though. Off topic, I found out I am pre-diabetic last week and I'm having ALOT of trouble eating the right foods/exercising. I've been so worried I can hardly eat, so I don't eat all day and then at night after my zyprexa kicks in I wolf down whatever I can make in 10 minutes or less. UGH.

• 4 weeks later...

i get up and eat during the night ALOT, but i usually remember it. i mostly eat just cereal because im addicted to it. when i was in a partial hospitalization program the psych told me i was doing that because i wasnt eating enough during the day.

• 11 months later...

NES or night eating syndrome is very real... I have suffered for sometime now... some meds help me with it, but I have found that stress triggers it...

After being on Effexor XR for 2/3 weeks I found that my night eating stopped completely... only to start up again right before I ran out of my meds... because my stress level increased (even with the meds)

its the only thing I have found to work so far...

its such an embarassing problem... I have tried everything, but all i found from sleep aids was that I was less aware of what I was doing or even sometimes completely unaware...

:) sleep aids only make it worse... ;)

Yeah. I have it. Most of the time I won't eat anything until after 8 pm. It's been HORRIBLE since I started Lamictal and I've gained so much weight. I spend my time either eating guiltily or wallowing in self-hatred.

Been there...Usually for me it happened under severe stress and obviously starts when my sleepwalking

returns. What worked is to lock fridge/ cupboard/ and while asleep, the jarring of the lock.. will wake you.

It works,, now i just sit up in bed.. as if to walk but do not get up.. Who knows..

Strange disorder ..

frosty

Mellow, just a little motherly advice from the Breakfast Queen.

I don't think anybody is hungry for breakfast, but hunger isn't the point. Your body needs fuel to start the day and (as you know) to keep your blood sugar level. To me, it's just a habit......one gets up, one eats breakfast. If you make it a hard and fast rule, and then force yourself to eat a sensible lunch at an appropriate time, maybe you can break the cycle of eating so much at night.

I battle with this, too. The only time I'm tempted to snack is evening. So I feel your pain! ;)

But it definitely helps me to "stay on the wagon" if I start the day with breakfast.

olga

hiya,

since i started z i've gained 30lbs due to eating EVERYTHING at night. and i do eat breakfast like normal. i eat totally normally until night, then i wolf down everything possible. i'll eat a whole box of granola bars, chocolate, ice cream, make stops to the gourmet ice cream shop up the street (open until 10)...

i'm off of Z now so let's see...the 450WB may help. i've never been a pig before. it must be the Z.

Strange this got mentioned here.

I suppose I do fit the criteria for the Nighttime Eating Syndrome thing, but I'd always felt it was a matter of circadian rhythm disorder, as I am diagnosed with DSPS (Delayed Phase Sleep Disorder).

If it were up to me, I'd be waking up at 2 PM and going to bed around 6 AM.

Which explains why I have no appetite until about 2 PM.

Provigil can force me awake at 7 AM and Remeron can knock me out at 11 PM, but I suppose neither of those can deal with the fact my pineal gland is bonkers and thinks I should be eating something at 3 AM.

As for the NES issue, I keep some "bulky" sweetened foods on hand... like frosted shredded wheat, Kashi cereal, etc. If I get the nocturnal munchies I can have a little of those and I get filled up quickly...

I've put the foot down with myself and promised not to give in to my night food habit. i still find that i eat in the middle of the night, but my pattern seems to be less annoying.

Anyone have any more ideas?

Archived