CrazyBoards.org

Nardil and the Dentist

I have appointment in a few days with a new dentist and I am hoping that she knows about the interaction between Nardil and drugs used in the dentistry world. Chances are I am going to just get all of them yanked and go the denture route so I know that chances are I am going to have to come off on Nardil for at least a couple of weeks before undergoing this type of surgery but for Wednesday appointment are there any interactions I should be concerned with?

take care

trg247

found this about Nardil:

Patients taking phenelzine should not undergo elective surgery requiring general anesthesia. Also, they should not be given cocaine or local anesthesia containing sympathomimetic vasoconstrictors. The possible combined hypotensive effects of phenelzine and spinal anesthesia should be kept in mind. Phenelzine should be discontinued at least 10 days prior to elective surgery.

that was from rxcarecanada.

i don't think you have to forego the surgery, just do the recommended medical stuff beforehand. i'd ask questions about the painkillers you'll need afterwards too - and you'll need 'em (i had the same procedure last year). make sure you tell the doc about every med you're on, even if you just take them prn.

good luck ;) i'm sure you'll do fine.

-lysergia

Thanks for all the research it is appreciated. I have an appointment Wednesday where I will see what the dentist says and more then likely stop Nardil the next day to get ready for the next step of dental treatment. Rather not be without an antidepressant but my teeth need to be taken care before they start or lead to additional health problems. Guess I am about to find out the hard way how much difference Nardil has been making on my mental status. Thanks again.

take care

trg247

just a quick update, went to the appointment they learned I was on Nardil and did not have a clue what it was. They did a check somewhere and the next thing I knew it they said they would not be able to treat me until my med doc called and spoke to them. My doctor of course is out of town so I am back in the waiting period again. I stopped Nardil today on my own as I know one way or another I have to come off of it so I decided sooner was better then latter. Two weeks til my blood is clear then back to the dentist, hopefully

take care

trg247

Called into my doctor's office yesterday and he did not have a problem with me stopping the Nardil, not that happy that I did not talk to him first but what are you going to do. A couple of days later and just a headache and a lot of patience needed to keep my brain from going way to fast for my liking. Turns out I have to wait five weeks before the dentist can do any major work but in the mean time I can get a thorough cleaning, full xrays and they can set up for a plan to take place when the waiting period is over. Pharmacy was really happy to hear I stopped taking it as it was a lot of trouble for them to get this med since it does not have much of a following to it anymore.

take care

trg247

god, what a whole lot of runaround because nobody's educated about your meds! i'm sorry it's been so hard to get all this arranged, and i hope you'll be okay without the Nardil.... is there anything else that helps even temporarily in the meantime?

dentistry is just awful even at the best of times. this sucks for you. it'll be over soon though.

-lysergia

I am still taking Seroquel a couple times throughout the day and Temazapam plus more Seroquel at night so mentally I am doing alright just a little manic at times throughout the day and Motrin does an ok job on the tooth and the headache that is the result of the Nardil withdrawal I guess.

thanks for asking

trg247

It's a shame your dentist doesn't know anything about your Nardil. I guess I am lucky. My dentist understands MAOIs and I didn't have to come off my meds at all. He left the vasoconstrictor portion out of the numbing stuff and we were off. Now, without the vasoconstrictor, the numbness doesn't last as long because it just leaves the area. That just meant another shot, and I was good to go.

I've also had two surgeries while on Parnate (MAO) without issues. As long as you have a good anesthesiologist who knows about MAOIs, it's still safe to stay on your meds. Things are a LOT different in medicine today then they used to be. My surgeries were at two different hospitals too. You see, what would happen in an emergency and had to have life saving surgery? They can't make you wait two weeks. LOL There are ways to work around these drugs and most anethesiologists know how to, so I'm not about to give up meds for something they can work around if needed. Elective or not shouldn't matter. Why take a chance on falling into a major depression if you don't have to?

Sorry your dentist didn't do a little research or your pdoc didn't know to say it was ok for you to stay on Nardil for surgery. Maybe your pdoc doesn't know either. Hope you don't sink into a funk either. Good luck with your teeth. Your post reminded me I'm overdue for a cleaning.

For the first week after I stopped the Nardil all I noticed was a headache but these last couple of days have been brutal. Every bone in my body is sore, all of my teeth hurt, depression is making one hell of a comeback and I am spending way too much time in bed. So either I am getting sick or the withdrawal period took its sweet ass time to show up and like usual I found out the hard way that Nardil was helping keep my depression at bay

I hope to God you tapered off the Nardil slowly and didn't quit cold turkey. It can be really dangerous to just stop taking an MAO and the withdrawal is a pure living hell. Now, if you taper off slowly, you avoid most of the brutal withdrawal crap. If your doctor let you just stop without making you taper down, you need a new doctor. I'm dead serious about that too.

I'd almost rather die than go through a fast MAO withdrawal. That's how bad it is, at least for me. I've heard others say the same, and one of my pdocs told me it's not quite as bad as effexor for sucky withdrawal symptoms, but it's close. So, you may be in withdrawal hell. And yes, it can last over a week after you quit.

Most likely, you are also backsliding into depression. It's amazing how we don't realize how much our meds are helping until we stop taking them and relapse into the abyss. If it gets too bad for you, talk to your pdoc and dentist. There is NO medical reason for you to suffer just because you need some surgery. If your dentist still insists he can't do your surgery while you are on Nardil, find another dentist if you can. If not, get back on your Nardil immediately after your surgery. You can take painkillers with an MAOI. I have been prescribed oxycontin and hydrocodone (even though the latter is supposed to be contraindicated) with absolutely no problems. YMMV.

Good luck and keep us posted on your condition.

I stopped cold about ten days or so ago. Doctor didn't seem to concerned and I figured that I was only taking a small amount that it would not be a big deal and apparently I was wrong about that as something is kicking my ass. Keep hoping it is just the flu and it will pass quick but mentally I am all over the map and seroquel is having little effect. Weird for a week it was just a headache and a fight to keep myself from going manic and now my body is beat, sore and just wants to sleep. Oh well least I am getting my teeth fixed or the process started in a few days. I didn't expect this though

take care

trg247

I stopped cold about ten days or so ago. Doctor didn't seem to concerned and I figured that I was only taking a small amount that it would not be a big deal and apparently I was wrong about that as something is kicking my ass. Keep hoping it is just the flu and it will pass quick but mentally I am all over the map and seroquel is having little effect. Weird for a week it was just a headache and a fight to keep myself from going manic and now my body is beat, sore and just wants to sleep. Oh well least I am getting my teeth fixed or the process started in a few days. I didn't expect this though

take care

trg247

Holy shit. I cannot believe your doc didn't make you cut back slowly. I'd bet you are suffering the harsh withdrawal symptoms. If I were you, I'd seriously discuss it with your doctor and find out just how much he knows about MAOIs. It worries me you were not given a slow rate of tapering to follow by your doc. Mine have always been so involved if I had to taper off for any reason, and they had me log my side effects. It sounds like your doc isn't experienced with MAOIs, and I hate to make that ASSumption. Most psycho active medications have a taper period, so the fact your doc didn't take precautions worries me a LOT.

I am keeping my fingers crossed you can return to your meds once your surgery is done and you won't need to suffer anymore. In the future, insist on alternatives to going off your meds. Any doctor that says you must give up an MAOI for any reason is just behind in science and not your best option. Don't settle for less than the best because it just wastes your time and causes you unnecessary turmoil.

My doctor told me that I would have a headache for a couple of days and maybe feel a little bit ill as well. No mention of tapering. I should have know better no to take his word but a little bit late for that well. Some days I wonder if he has ever used Nardil before on another patient as every time I would learn something here or somewhere else he would give me an odd look like he had never heard that before. Also part of it is he is not sure if my depression is a stand alone disorder or it is the result of a negative perspective originating off of BPD. Pretty sure this withdrawal process will answer that question as I am getting my ass kicked right now.

thanks for responding

take care

trg247

Some docs swear withdrawal doesn't exist, but I think they are just buying into what the drug companies feed them, and it's BS. I'd simply ask your doctor straight out how much experience he has with Nardil or other MAOIs. I may be totally naive, but I just don't think BPD exists without some underlying neurochemical "issue". I'm not saying it can't be a defense/learned thing, but I do believe the brain is somehow altered if you suffer from it. Research has shown pathways in your brain are formed/altered in response to thoughts, so I think medicine can sometimes be the only way to "fix" those pathways. Regardless, it appears Nardil was helping in some way, even if it was subtle and you weren't sure about it.

I'm checking back every few days to see if you've posted again. It sucks you are having to deal with all of this, and I'm worried. Hang in there, ok. We don't want you to end up in the damned hospital again in order to get much needed dental work done.

thanks for the support.

Physically I think the worst is gone but mentally is a different story. I don't know if it is part of the withdrawal process or my brain needs an antidepressant to be present but it is a mess. I have an appoint in the middle of next week so I am guessing another antidepressant will be introduced or reintroduced as it will be three weeks since the last Nardil so I assume my blood is clean enough to try something else.

take care

trg247

So you are giving up on Nardil? I suppose it's best to get on something now since you can. Your withdrawal is over so if your brain has gone missing, you probably just need meds.

If you ever find you want to try another MAOI and lack of energy is a problem for you, try Parnate. I take it for my Narcolepsy since it's very stimulating.

Drop in and let us know how you are.

I went to my doctor the other day and I told him about my major mood swings since stopping Nardil. He said this is normal for people who are coming off of this med and should last for a couple of months. I said I only took the med for a little over three months and he said this does not matter. So he increased my Seroquel from 75 times 3 to 100 times 3 and said we would readdress going back on the Nardil in March after my dental work is completed to which I replied with a very dirty look. I need a new doctor.

take care

trg247

Archived