CrazyBoards.org

can i just stop lexapro and replace with wellbutrin XL?

i take lexapro 10 mg, and just once in a while take a wellbutrin xl 150mg because it stopped working for me and yet i feel a little worse when i go without for a week. im also on 17.5 mg of hydrocortisone due to low cortisol. 2 questions: one, does wellbutrin XL raise cortisol? two, can i just stop lexapro cold turkey and replace it with daily wellbutrin XL, just to see what will happen?

i take lexapro 10 mg, and just once in a while take a wellbutrin xl 150mg because it stopped working for me and yet i feel a little worse when i go without for a week.

If it really "stopped working" why are you planning on discontinuing the the lexapro and going back to it? What did your doctor say when you brought this up - I ssume he knows you're still taking the Wellbutrin on the days you don't feel so good?

As to whether bupropion raises cortisol levels:

For nondepressed smokers trying to quit, it maintains a "stressed" level of cortisol.

For folks with depression who respond positively to bupropion treatment, it does not raise cortisol levels. For people who do not, it does.

It can raise cortisol response to exercise and athletic performance.

So for some people, it can. It may not do so for you. The only way of knowing one way or the other is to have a pre-Wellbutrin baseline to compare to after a few weeks of consistent use as prescribed.

i take lexapro 10 mg, and just once in a while take a wellbutrin xl 150mg because it stopped working for me and yet i feel a little worse when i go without for a week.

If it really "stopped working" why are you planning on discontinuing the the lexapro and going back to it? What did your doctor say when you brought this up - I ssume he knows you're still taking the Wellbutrin on the days you don't feel so good?

As to whether bupropion raises cortisol levels:

For [link=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T0N-4JDN69H-B&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=cbfba98aed470cc1bc9f16c65f8fd8ef" target="_blank]nondepressed smokers trying to quit[/link], it maintains a "stressed" level of cortisol.

For folks with depression who respond positively to [link=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T8T-4DM27S1-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0cf39b8d9dc8433e2193f0e9648a0432" target="_blank]bupropion treatment[/link], it does not raise cortisol levels. For people who do not, it does.

It can raise cortisol response to [link=http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1464564" target="_blank]exercise and athletic performance[/link].

So for some people, it can. It may not do so for you. The only way of knowing one way or the other is to have a pre-Wellbutrin baseline to compare to after a few weeks of consistent use as prescribed.

Well I'm on lexapro,20 mgs per day & it seems to have crapped out on me so I'm gonna talk to my pdoc on the 31st & see about trying another medication myself.

Sunburnt22:I wouldn't recommend going off Lexapro cold turkey & would strongly advise talking to your pdoc about it first.

Archived