CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin XL 150mg

I believe this was last discussed about 10 months ago or so, according to the search I did, and I'm wondering if the situation has changed. I take Wellbutrin XL 150mg - I take three every morning. Is the Wellbutrin XL 150mg available in generic? If so I have to have my doctor write something specifically on my rx so that I don't get generic. And I forgot to ask him about this last week. Thank you.

As of November '07 (the last time my script was refilled) the 150 XL is only available as real deal Wellbutrin. The 300 XL is available in generic form. Avoid the big yellow oval tablets (their controlled release is faulty). Go for the round white ones.

I take Wellbutrin XL 150mg - I take three every morning.

hey goldfinch,

I take 450mg of wb xl in the morning too (also as three 150mg pills) and as greeny said, there is not yet a 150mg generic. It still doesn't hurt to ask your doctor to write "brand name" or "brand specific" on your prescription next time. I was stuck with the awful (imo) generic 300mg pills and one 150mg brand name pill for a few months because my insurance figured out that it was cheaper than giving me all brand name. Most insurance companies will have the pharmacy automatically fill with generic when it's available, so even if you haven't had any problems so far with that bureaucratic nonsense- if you happen to remember next time you talk to your pdoc, it won't hurt to get those two little words on record ;)

no sense in messing with what works (or risking anyone else messing with it)!

hth,

m

Thanks Meg - that is exactly why I was asking about this! You must be a mind reader. If the wellbutrin xl did come in the generic form I would have had to take my rx back to the pdoc to have him add the magic words so that the insurance company would pay. I'm switching from my local pharmacy to the mail-order one that is part of my insurance plan. I'll save a ton of money, but I want to be sure I have all my i's dotted and t's crossed (or whatever that expression is).

I think it is despicable that your ins company made you get the 300mg in generic and the 150mg in brand name. I hate insurance companies more and more every day, but hey, what's the alternative? A one month supply of wellbutrin xl is about $450 without insurance. We pay for our own insurance (about $20,000 a year - I know that is a lot, but he also has to pay the insurance for the employees) since my husband is a partner in his company - and I want to take advantage of everything they offer to get my money's worth.

I think it is despicable that your ins company made you get the 300mg in generic and the 150mg in brand name. I hate insurance companies more and more every day, but hey, what's the alternative? A one month supply of wellbutrin xl is about $450 without insurance.

yep. I filled my scripts (well, wb 450mg, lamictal 100mg and some of my zoloft) yesterday and the total was $500.04

;)

that's with insurance paying for like 100something on the wb, and 70something on the lamictal (thank goodness zoloft is so cheap and the generic works for me-- that was like $25).

gotta love out-of-pocket! last year my co-pays were $20 for brand-name and $10 for generic, and now I'm dropping $500+ every month? different insurance, and thank GOD that I am still counted as a dependant on my parents insurance b/c I'm in school. I graduate in a year and a half and won't have insurace then. excuse my while I go throw up.

sorry, totally off topic pity-party there.

I should be reimbursed for most of what I have to fork over now, but it still makes me queasy to hand over that much money for a little crinkled white paper bag with three teeny bottles in it.

:)

m

ps- yes, yes, dot all the i's and cross all the t's! it's certainly a good idea to get your doctor to put everything in writing like that, I don't trust any of these companies AT ALL anymore-- gotta protect yourself from them, as much as it sucks to wear armor to your bodyguard's house.

It might be worth noting that some pharmacies and insurance companies are so picky that your doctor even has to specify exactly how many tablets of each mg amount within your total dose.

The last time I got my WB dose upped, my doc just wrote '300mg Wellbutrin'. The pharmacy covers only generic so they always give me that (my doc approved that substitution from the beginning). But they don't carry 300mg tabs of generic WB SR and wouldn't give me the equivalent dose in 150's without specific approval by my doc. I had to wait two days until they got his approval and processed it through their system before I could pick up my script. What a fucking hassle.

It might be worth noting that some pharmacies and insurance companies are so picky that your doctor even has to specify exactly how many tablets of each mg amount within your total dose.

The last time I got my WB dose upped, my doc just wrote '300mg Wellbutrin'. The pharmacy covers only generic so they always give me that (my doc approved that substitution from the beginning). But they don't carry 300mg tabs of generic WB SR and wouldn't give me the equivalent dose in 150's without specific approval by my doc. I had to wait two days until they got his approval and processed it through their system before I could pick up my script. What a fucking hassle.

Its becoming totally ridiculous. I have an rx for another med that I take, unrelated to mi, and my insurance company won't pay for it until I only have one left in the bottle, every month. Heaven forbid I can't get to the pharmacy that day - I either miss a day of meds or pay out of pocket.

And speaking of rx costs, I picked up my bottle of xanax (generic) from the pharmacy today and 10 pills cost me $2.84. Maybe I should just take a bunch of xanax every day instead of wellbutrin - it would be a lot cheaper.

Archived