CrazyBoards.org

Hello,

Please help! My son went psychotic 5 months ago. He was wondering in the streets and wanted to sleep on the ground. He said he felt peace there. I even slept in my car one night and watched him thinking he will learn a lesson, but no way. My son was mad! A stranger almost over night. I was terrified to give him anti psychotics because of what I read online. I finally gave in and gave him resperidal. The response was almost immediate. By day 2 I got him to come home. He feels like he is in a haze all the time, and he feels disconnected from his body. He has a hard time knowing who he is and is barely hanging on. He also has the worst OCD anyone has ever known. He has bad reactions to SSRI'S, and tried Lexapro, and pot before his breakdown. I know he needs Major medication, but I'm so scared that anti psychotics will kill him, or cause Tardive diskonesia that I haven't given him what he might need to get better. He started having very bad reactions to the resperidal, and it made his OCD worse. He also has bad anger, and bad depression. You don't know what he will be like. He can click in an instant. He is also on 600mg of lithium. He is 20, and I'm devastated. I never new hell until mental illness struck home. I forever will be changed. Thank You.

(sorry about the spelling) too much stress.

is he seeing a doctor? if not, that is the FIRST order of business: find him a psychiatrist to evaluate him and try medications.

if he already has a doctor, you need to go back to them and explain what's going on, the haze, the side effects, so they can try a different med.

people differ wildly in their responses to medications. you may need to try several b4 you get good results. he may end up needing a cocktail of 2 or more meds. you have to keep trying.

i don't recommend choosing your meds based on solely what you read online. if you were reading antimedication sites, they will all make meds sound like the most evil things on earth. if you read only drug company sites, drugs sound as easy as a piece of candy. the truth is in between.

also, you should consider getting yourself some support. have you checked into NAMI? does your son have a case worker or social worker? you should ask his medical care team for referrals to support groups for you, before you burn out.

Hello,

Please help! My son went psychotic 5 months ago. He also has bad anger, and bad depression. You don't know what he will be like. He can click in an instant. He is 20, and I'm devastated.

He'll be lucky to live long enough to develop tardive dyskinesia if you keep screwing with his medications behind his and his doctors' backs.

Since you're worried most about TD, I'll point out that not even Haldol and Thorazine are guaranteed to cause it; it's less likely if the doctor hears about the warning symptoms as they appear, and even then it's not untreatable. These meds can have nasty side effects - no one's denying that - but I think that there are worse outcomes. After all, you've just described the sort of situation that ends with a mentally unstable person bleeding out on his doorstep after threatening a cop.

Your job in all this is to be the mother who makes sure her very ill son gets the medications and treatment he needs, and gets him to the doctor (or a different one) when things aren't working so well.

Hello,

I don't mess with his medication. He also has seen many psychiatrists and medical doctors. He also has a caseworker and is enrolled in a mental health program. My problem is the current psychiatrist doesn't seem to care when her clients suffer. She's pretty much doing time for her internship and is real %#$@. My sons meds went real wrong about a month ago and she made us wait 2 weeks to see her. I paid another psychiatrist to see him sooner. I was reaching out to all of you for advice as far as medication goes, and your preferences. I also wanted to know if anyone can relate with my sons symptoms. He was hazy before the medication, and was dealing with depersonalization, and derealization. Thanks for your help.

is he also seeing a therapist? meds can only do so much sometimes. some problems need to be talked out and coping mechanisms need to be learned...

maybe permanently switching psychiatrists would be best as well if you feel this one isnt serving your son properly.

is he also seeing a therapist? meds can only do so much sometimes. some problems need to be talked out and coping mechanisms need to be learned...

maybe permanently switching psychiatrists would be best as well if you feel this one isnt serving your son properly.

Hello,

Yes my son was seeing a great therapist before his breakdown. She told me that she doesn't really handle anything worse than OCD.

I'm trying to get him stable enough to move forward with a new therapist. Mean while he is being seen 3 times a week by a social worker/ counselor.

you sound so desperate and i can tell you're trying so hard to get your son some good help.

coming to this board, to talk to the people who actually use have this illness and use these meds seems like a very good idea. unfortunately, it's one of our smallest forums. we don't really have a lot of active members on this forum, and a lot of the posts are about 'does this sound like a delusion to you?'

honestly, who is your support system? do you have one? i think you would get some very good advice from someone who's gone through this before.

you also may want to message, or visit, a moderator called Olga on the board. her cousin was schizophrenic and after his parents passed away, she helped arrange his care and doctor's visits and social services. i think she would understand your situation well. even if she didn't have any new ideas, she would definitely know what you are dealing with.

Question: your son appears to be generally in the realm of public care. Is this all you can afford (is he not on your insurance)? This makes things very difficult. I had a bitch of a time working my fiancee through that crap til I got her on SSI/Medicaid, and even then, we only lucked out with this program in town we never even knew about. It's a bitch to find a doc who'll take a Medicaid patient!

And btw, if your son is looking to be too disabled to work I highly recommend you scoot down to the disability board and check out the info their--it'd be well worth your while. If financial hardship is a problem, SSI will help and Medicaid is a GODSEND when it comes to the meds--never more than $5 a scrip! Without that...dunno where my fiancee would be.

I should note, my fiancee's dx is currently schizophreniform, so I DO have a clue here. I know what it's like to coordinate someone else's care--and I thank God for a decent case manager and my parents, who can ferry her around when I have to work.

At any rate it would be helpful to know if risperdal is the only antipsychotic he's taken--there's 7 atypicals, and I've been on 6 (narrowly beating out my fiancee's 5, heh).

Question: your son appears to be generally in the realm of public care. Is this all you can afford (is he not on your insurance)? This makes things very difficult. I had a bitch of a time working my fiancee through that crap til I got her on SSI/Medicaid, and even then, we only lucked out with this program in town we never even knew about. It's a bitch to find a doc who'll take a Medicaid patient!

And btw, if your son is looking to be too disabled to work I highly recommend you scoot down to the disability board and check out the info their--it'd be well worth your while. If financial hardship is a problem, SSI will help and Medicaid is a GODSEND when it comes to the meds--never more than $5 a scrip! Without that...dunno where my fiancee would be.

I should note, my fiancee's dx is currently schizophreniform, so I DO have a clue here. I know what it's like to coordinate someone else's care--and I thank God for a decent case manager and my parents, who can ferry her around when I have to work.

At any rate it would be helpful to know if risperdal is the only antipsychotic he's taken--there's 7 atypicals, and I've been on 6 (narrowly beating out my fiancee's 5, heh).

Yes all I can afford is public care. I had insurance but my son was blacklisted due to an ER visit that had to do with his mental health.

Pre-existing condition. I'm fairly new to all this and its killing me. I'm so scared for my son. Its like a nightmare. I don't think about myself at all at this point. I just want him to have some peace and joy in his life. I cant be happy until that happens. The OCD is the real torment for him. Its bad enough dealing with psychotic illness, but to add to that he's like Howard Hughes. It's scary bad. He is on SSI. Thank You

Hello,

I don't mess with his medication.

You're the one who wrote:

I was terrified to give him anti psychotics because of what I read online. I finally gave in and gave him resperidal. The response was almost immediate.

I know he needs Major medication, but I'm so scared that anti psychotics will kill him, or cause Tardive diskonesia that I haven't given him what he might need to get better.

Not giving a person his prescribed medication until you're finally left without choices IS messing with it. I can understand you being afraid of scary side effects - scary being an understatement - but I won't support what you've described doing.

As far as relating to your son's symptoms - that's a whole lot easier when the person experiencing them is the one doing the describing and explaining. Why not let him participate in the discussion of his problems, while you discuss yours? That's usually more helpful to all concerned.

Hello,

I don't mess with his medication.

You're the one who wrote:

I was terrified to give him anti psychotics because of what I read online. I finally gave in and gave him resperidal. The response was almost immediate.

I know he needs Major medication, but I'm so scared that anti psychotics will kill him, or cause Tardive diskonesia that I haven't given him what he might need to get better.

Not giving a person his prescribed medication until you're finally left without choices IS messing with it. I can understand you being afraid of scary side effects - scary being an understatement - but I won't support what you've described doing.

As far as relating to your son's symptoms - that's a whole lot easier when the person experiencing them is the one doing the describing and explaining. Why not let him participate in the discussion of his problems, while you discuss yours? That's usually more helpful to all concerned.

Yes,

I would agree that he should reach out and discuss his symptoms, but he wont do anything anymore. With his Ocd all has become contaminated. We are in hope that soon he can find the right meds to help him. As far as not giving him what he might need to get better was about are current situation with a bad psychiatrist. I keep trying to get him to reach out, but he has just shut down after the bad side effects he went through from the luvox he was on for a couple of months. I also have never done anything behind his back. He is aware of all the Meds he takes. I also have followed directions from the PDOC. My story was more about how this started, I'm doing what the doctors say. The only problem is finding a good PDOC. Wow it kinda feels like I'm not wanted around here. Sorry about disturbing your group.

Wow it kinda feels like I'm not wanted around here. Sorry about disturbing your group.

Hi Erika.

slow down and breathe. i hear how scared you are. you are doing the right thing asking questions from people with experience as well as medical professionals. i cannot imagine how i would feel if my child were to begin behaving as you described. i'd be terrified and overwhelmed by the choices i'd be responsible for.

coming here, however, has two sides to a (very shiny) coin: we know what we're talking about (mostly) and have been through it all, on one side... and on the other, we've been the recipients of ignorance about medications from our families AND our doctors, the results being utterly horrible.

this sounds like the first time you've ever really needed an education about antipsychotic drugs (and psych meds in general). nobody would fault you for that, why would you need to know unless it became a problem? i think everyone's at least a little afraid at first when thinking about these medications.

but there are hundreds of us here who have been taking all kinds of crazy people meds for a long time ;)

and we're still here, and sometimes we're still crazy, but we're ALIVE, and able to talk to each other, and have something of a life. because of those scary meds. if not for those, side-effects or no... many of us wouldn't have made it.

you'll be judged kinda harshly because we've had bad experience with how we were treated as children - ignored or exposed to old terrible meds/therapies. we're assuming you'll do the same out of wanting the problem to just "go away". please forgive us this. but don't forget we are telling you what DIDN'T work for us, and we feel scared your son will go through what we did. take us seriously even when we sound judgemental (and it doesn't hurt to remind us when we are, either - we don't intend to scare people off here).

there are fabulous links here posted in almost every section about drugs, therapies, and options. i really really suggest you read up on them. if you have questions, ask us what we've experienced from these things (because the side effects LOOK scary, it doesn't mean they happen very often).

i hope we're able to help you. i feel so much for you and your son. remember it is not your fault he is sick, but it is your responsibility to make sure he gets well.

- lysergia

hi,

i'm kinda tear ing up from your post imagining what it must be like for you and how it was for my mom. I was sleeping on the ground for comfort too at the same age as your son.

you ARE wanted here. but the biggest nerve is meds getting generally messed up from drug companies to insurance to dispencing.

this is a very hard-stressful time, but it is an emergency and has to be hit hard. i was at max dosage of 2 antipsychotics (risperidal and zyprexa) for a month and tapperd now to practically nothing after 2.5 years. what is happening to your son's brain right now is worse than any med's side effect. i lost a lot to pyschosis. a year's effect on my muscles,liver, and blood sugar together are nothing compared to the devastation of an untreated psychosis and the underlying triggers.

do you have a conselor you can talk to? it's important you are ok in this

what does it take to get care in this country!!!!

Wow it kinda feels like I'm not wanted around here. Sorry about disturbing your group.

Hi Erika.

slow down and breathe. i hear how scared you are. you are doing the right thing asking questions from people with experience as well as medical professionals. i cannot imagine how i would feel if my child were to begin behaving as you described. i'd be terrified and overwhelmed by the choices i'd be responsible for.

coming here, however, has two sides to a (very shiny) coin: we know what we're talking about (mostly) and have been through it all, on one side... and on the other, we've been the recipients of ignorance about medications from our families AND our doctors, the results being utterly horrible.

this sounds like the first time you've ever really needed an education about antipsychotic drugs (and psych meds in general). nobody would fault you for that, why would you need to know unless it became a problem? i think everyone's at least a little afraid at first when thinking about these medications.

but there are hundreds of us here who have been taking all kinds of crazy people meds for a long time ;)

and we're still here, and sometimes we're still crazy, but we're ALIVE, and able to talk to each other, and have something of a life. because of those scary meds. if not for those, side-effects or no... many of us wouldn't have made it.

you'll be judged kinda harshly because we've had bad experience with how we were treated as children - ignored or exposed to old terrible meds/therapies. we're assuming you'll do the same out of wanting the problem to just "go away". please forgive us this. but don't forget we are telling you what DIDN'T work for us, and we feel scared your son will go through what we did. take us seriously even when we sound judgemental (and it doesn't hurt to remind us when we are, either - we don't intend to scare people off here).

there are fabulous links here posted in almost every section about drugs, therapies, and options. i really really suggest you read up on them. if you have questions, ask us what we've experienced from these things (because the side effects LOOK scary, it doesn't mean they happen very often).

i hope we're able to help you. i feel so much for you and your son. remember it is not your fault he is sick, but it is your responsibility to make sure he gets well.

- lysergiaI'dI'd

Hello,

Thank you so much for your help. I'm so sorry that some of you had a bad time with your parents in all of this. I cant even imagine feeling happy unless my son has Peace in his life. I made my resolve about what my son needs. I just wanted to here it from all of you. It seems that meds have given you your lives back, and I want the same for my son. It feels good for me to hear about the good part of medication rather than the negative online. Like I said it was Resperidal that brought my son home, but he has a long way to go. The pdoc he has is a joke. I'm changing that problem this week. I hope my son will be able to speak with all of you soon.

Please tell me what anti psychotics you all found to be gentle. One that targets paranoia, anger, and anxiety. Thank you. You are all in my prayer's

hi,

i'm kinda tear ing up from your post imagining what it must be like for you and how it was for my mom. I was sleeping on the ground for comfort too at the same age as your son.

you ARE wanted here. but the biggest nerve is meds getting generally messed up from drug companies to insurance to dispencing.

this is a very hard-stressful time, but it is an emergency and has to be hit hard. i was at max dosage of 2 antipsychotics (risperidal and zyprexa) for a month and tapperd now to practically nothing after 2.5 years. what is happening to your son's brain right now is worse than any med's side effect. i lost a lot to pyschosis. a year's effect on my muscles,liver, and blood sugar together are nothing compared to the devastation of an untreated psychosis and the underlying triggers.

do you have a conselor you can talk to? it's important you are ok in this

what does it take to get care in this country!!!!

Wow,

Thank you for your reply. This is what i need to here. How long did it take to stop the psychosis? What meds did you find helpful? Do you remember what you felt like when you had your break? Do you ever feel like yourself again? Sorry for all the questions, but your post was like a light at the end of a dark tunnel. I cant tell you why, but you made me feel like it will be OK. This country cares for money, and the people who spend it. No cash, no cure. You end up in mental health clinics. They try, but its a fragment of what is needed. They also like to play power games. The pdoc my son has is on her way to UCLA as soon as she finishes her internship. She could care less about the people she's medicating. Thats why I came to all of you. I hope your experience can help us. I hope you are better now. Hope we speak soon. Bless You.

When he is medicated and has some insight, can you get him to sign a legal document saying that you can have power of attorney over him to make medical decisions for him? Go to a judge and get him hospitalized when he is in danger to himself or others. Don't be afraid to call the police. I almost want to say for you to lie to get him treatment. This really hurts. My mother has been in your shoes. I can't imagine a child of mine being where your son and I have been. I would follow my child to the streets for sure just like you. I'm sorry the helping professional people do not give a damn. That has happened to everybody with mental illness at some point. It is not fair that young men with psychosis do not have a very good prognosis overall. Is he diagnosed with pschizophrenia?

Please tell me what anti psychotics you all found to be gentle. One that targets paranoia, anger, and anxiety. Thank you. You are all in my prayer's

Many of the antipsychotics are used for other illnesses as well. This is good for you because the Schizophrenia/Psychosis board usually doesn't have a lot of traffic for its main topics, but a lot of people have to take the meds designed for this.

At least from some of the bipolar discussions I've read, Risperdal has a good reputation for getting people functional, and Seroquel can do quite well for anxiety. However, each of the atypical APs plays with the brain in different ways, so it's not uncommon to have to have near-misses and failures with several before hitting on one (or one or two in a combination) that works most of the time.

There will always be days that the monsters in your head get loose, and times you need just a bit more until a doctor's available. Unless your son is actively suicidal and you can't lock the meds up well enough, you don't discard what's left over from the meds that didn't quite work.

For knocking a severe manic episode, out-of-control panic attacks, or a psychotic break, sometimes Haldol or one of the other old APs is the only thing that will calm things down.

null is right... good advice.

i'd like to add zyprexa in zydis form too... or if there are any other APs that melt under the tongue?

when i've got be talked into taking a med quickly or i really NEED it to work quickly it helps a lot.

i'll repeat that there are many options, and you might have to go through a few before it looks like that light at the end of the tunnel is coming back again. i believe if you keep trying, you and your son will be okay.

I had a cousin with schizophrenia, and when I was helping with his care, haldol was given to him in the psych ward at our hospital after a psychotic episode landed him in the ER. It had a quick effect and helped stabilize him before moving on to other drugs.

When he was stable, he returned to Navane, which is an older drug. It worked great for him---when he took it. That was always and forever the problem: going off the meds.

When your son is somewhat stable and you can talk to him about his life and where he's going, I hope you can make some long-term plans with him. If he will need supervision with his meds all his life, he might need some kind of assisted living arrangement or an apartment supervised by the local Mental Health department. My cousin's parents didn't do that, and when they died, he was alone and unable to cope. I wish they had gotten him the right help when he was young.

Good luck and I hope he can come and join us here when he is able.

olga

Wow,

Thank you for your reply. This is what i need to here. 1. How long did it take to stop the psychosis? 2. What meds did you find helpful? 3. Do you remember what you felt like when you had your break? 4. Do you ever feel like yourself again? Sorry for all the questions, but your post was like a light at the end of a dark tunnel. I cant tell you why, but you made me feel like it will be OK. This country cares for money, and the people who spend it. No cash, no cure. You end up in mental health clinics. They try, but its a fragment of what is needed. They also like to play power games. The pdoc my son has is on her way to UCLA as soon as she finishes her internship. She could care less about the people she's medicating. Thats why I came to all of you. I hope your experience can help us. I hope you are better now. Hope we speak soon. Bless You.

1. 2.5 weeks of hospitalization (horrible) but successful at keeping me "safe" and zonking me out. 1 week of 18+ hours of sleep and babysitting at home after which the psychotic processes abatted and i felt like recovering my room/belongings which jumbled across the coutry with my crazy, teasing some logic from the matter. too bored from the high med dosages (risperidal and zyprexa), like shear chemical boredom, hated it. finally got the doasages cut in half and could semi-function. the biggest help for me, and it may well be very different for your son, was catching up on sleep and getting the brain to subconsciously "normally" process instead of seek pyschosis to solve cognitive conflicts. Sleep deprivation will cause anyone to hallucinate. speaking of which i should really go to bed so question 1. did it stop? accutely yes, but i still experience it, though in the supportive context that i know it for what it is and where the line is for me. just 2 months ago i stepped over, but i function, i graduated this December with a hefty degree, life goes on and if i could flip a swicth and never known that edge, i don't think i would rather be anyone other than who i am. it sucks, but we all have our struggles

i private messaged (PMed) you my aol screen name if chatting would work better, the advice about calling the police here should be fully acknowledged as sound practice, it'd kill me as a mother, but help is more important. 911 got me to the hospital the first time.

Archived