CrazyBoards.org

where do baby BPs come from?

Guest Indi

Hi all,

Ok I know there's no answer to this but just your opinions-wise, what do you think 'cause BP, or rather what do you think caused yours; nature or nurture? (obviously both are factors).

Do you think you were always going end up as your particuarly interesting self (born to be BP) or was there something specific a trama, stress, drug use etc that you feel lead you to it. Just asking for your personal opinion

Indi

I was never like anyone else. or "normal". I always knew there was something wrong with me. Plus, I didn't have an "ideal" childhood. Then again, my life has been nothing like ideal, whatever that is. Do I really have to take meds. for the rest of my life?? ;)

No I don't think I was predisposed to bipolar (that is current dx). Depression yes. Trauma due to many seperations and hospitalizations in childhood, heart surgery at 6 mo old, abuse from family, my mom's lack of parenting ability, her leaving me with unsuitable people, my father's abandonment - might of been a good thing he left - who knows, then a few neurosurgeries in adulthood which have fried my brain (or the anticipation of ending up like a vegetable each time fried my brain). I stopped sleeping after the last surgery which led to psychosis. Tons of meds. Was very BIG mistake I went off psych meds for the last surgery. Can't find stability with my younger brother being sick. We suck the life out of each other. When I do poorly he ends up in the hospital. My mother will outlive the two of us. I want to work on my emotional well being and leave the health stuff. If I ever need more surgery I am not going to have it. My doctors are not pleased with me refusing care. I know what I needed and got the best care and I know now when enough is enough.

It's highly suspected to be genetic. But upbringing plays a major role, too.

Bipolar, ADD, and SZ runs in my family (on my mom's side).

I'd like to think I wasn't bipolar as a baby!! Problems started at the age of 7 or 8, as a result of major stress in my life, and continued, as a result of continuing stress (abuse, neglect, turmoil, etc.)

Anyone who went through what I did growing up would have had problems. My upbringing was undeniably damaging, but I suspect I would have been Bipolar no matter what, due to genetics.

I was born fucked up and will die fucked up - and so will everyone else in this world - bc at some point or another, everyone's parents suffered SOMEthing - so no one is normal. I'm fairly certain my BP is genetic - my sister has it and while my brother hasn't been appropriately diagnosed yet (he's only being treated for depression right now), we are fairly certain that he suffers from it as well - we know my mother has it but refuses to admit it to herself and her mother had it and her mother had it...my family is the poster child for proving it's genetic.

I believe that I am the result of the fuckupedness from both my mom & dad's families being syphoned into 1 being. The stars aligned to produce a person with both chemical issues and a over-sensitivity to environmental stressors.

Sidenote: I've always been able to identify with those who have been abused or suffered a major trauma. I remember reading accounts in Seventeen of people who were abused or raped and their explanations of thoughts/feelings as a result and I always wondered why they sounded so similar to the way I felt. I swear there are no repressed memories or anything, although I suppose I wouldn't know. This has always interested me.

In my case it is definitely genetics. I had a great childhood in a loving home, fine early adulthood, and only now it's gotten screwed up (without any signif trauma, etc.). I also clearly have BP linkages on my side of family with both my Dad and my son. I guess I was the conduit for that one, huh?

abitcrazy

Well, ya see when a mommy and a daddy REEAALLY luv eachother...oh you weren't asking THAT question?

(sorry, me and my damned literal thinking again!)

I think it's genetic. My half-brother was BPI as well. There's so many nuts of all types on both sides of the family and in my half-brother's family that it just HAS to be genetic.

So I was just fucked from birth.

My uncle claims that there is not one person in his family who is not (or was not) missing a few marbles. I'll have to take his word on it since he and my father are the only ones I know on this side of the family. They both have their share of mental problems. I know my *mother's* side of the family is filled with so-called normal people, but she certainly does not fit that description. Therefore, I believe it comes down to genetics.

However, since both of my parents were, shall we say - a tad touched in the head - my childhood was a roller coaster ride from hell! so nurturing could have been a factor too. I mean, not one of my siblings - and there are five of us altogether - is without issues.

It's on both sides of the family for me. One grandmother who was supposedly bipolar who would dress my brother up and paint his nails, and owned the queen's jewels. Another grandma who people always told "take a pill Juanita".

I was "odd" by age seven. But i do feel that I was affected environmentally. I think I would've had problems even if not, but might have possibly handled them better? Heck if I know?

Love the pic wifezilla lol !

I think it's pretty clearly genetic. Paternal grandfather killed himself when my Dad was 2. He was also an alcoholic, along with Dad's mom. Grammie physically abused my Dad, and he also drank. Not to mention he's quite clearly bipolar (he admitted it once to me, but he won't take meds). He still drinks. I drank (sober for 8 years now), and started having manias and depressions at puberty. My brother drank, and has MDD as well. Mom is somewhat normal, I suppose. Yeah, we're all fucked, LOL. *shrugs* At least *I* got help.

I think its like depression--if the genetics are there, i.e. the neuroreceptors aren't built quite right, sometimes one big stress will send a previously "normal" person into clinical depression. Same thing with BP, I would think. But then, I look at my kid, who has clearly been BP since, oh, birth--so my vote is genetic all the way. And while his "upbringing" was a bit non-conventional and, well, maybe a little stressful, I just think he was born that way.

Doesn't explain why mine "showed up" so late in life, but I think it was always there, just called plain ole depression, since I never get truly "manic" just have hypomanic stuff. And I self medicated my ADD(and depression) with speed for so many years, it would have been difficult to diagnose.

Interesting question. There must be some good research on this somewhere--anyone have the energy to look? Maybe, if I can get off the couch tomorrow, I will try to.

china

Archived