Stimulants + benzos ?

I might go on some kind of stimulant soon, most likely concerta. How do they mix with the benzos? Because I can't live without my Valium.

Do they cancel eachother out or what?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a study on what happens when you give people triazolam and dextroamphetamine.

I have at different times taken valium and/or klonopin with either Concerta, Adderall, or Dexedrine. The benzos do their job on my anxiety and the ADD meds have their desired effect, increased concentration, help focusing, or stopping over-focusing.

Erika

No personal experience, but my SO is on stimulants for ADD, benzos for excessive anxiety and (as of just recently) mood stabilisers for BP.  The stimulants help him focus, but he still needs long acting benzos (right now klonopin I think, but up until a week or so ago it was tranxene) to contain his anxiety.  I have an idea (not entirely sure though) that in his specific case the need for the benzos might decrease if the stabilisers do their job properly.  But the point is the pdoc (he recently started with a new one) didn't see it as a remotely unusual combination. 

Not sure how especially helpful that was; just wanted to jump in and say it's not an unheard of combination, and if there is genuine ADD that needs to be treated, as well as panic/anxiety, they shouldn't work against each other.

Good luck!

I've been taking Adderall for years and started taking Xanax (pretty small dose) a couple of months ago and don't seem to be having any problems. The Adderall definitely doesn't cancel out the effects of the Xanax. But I'm on so many meds right now that it's hard to know which one to blame for making me the village idiot. I think it's the Ambien more than anything. It was a pre-Xanax condition.

Guest Guest

The two work together  basically on the same principle as a speedball. The downer smooths out the upper and vice versa. The combination has very little to recommend.

The two work together  basically on the same principle as a speedball. The downer smooths out the upper and vice versa. The combination has very little to recommend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My recreational drug use is extremely limited, so I can't compare the two, but in my personal experience, it's working quite well for me. I don't take them at the same time, however (Adderall in a.m., Xanax XR at bedtime). Though presumably the Xanax XR is in my system through at least the following afternoon.

Guest Guest

Adderall when it works is suppose to have a calming effect. In effect with ADD Adderall is supposed to be an anti-anxiety agent. Xanax to help one sleep is perhaps another matter. Xanax has a fairly short half-life. Of course, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The begining post clearly suggested that the valium was being taken throughout the day supposedly for anxiety.

The begining post clearly suggested that the valium was being taken throughout the day supposedly for anxiety.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, just take it as needed, maybe once a week or so. But when I do need it, damn I need it.

Archived