CrazyBoards.org

what does ect treatment look like?

betcsu

8 days ago i finished my last of 10 ECT treatments. im now curious as to what exactly the procedure looked like as i went thru it. ive been searching for a video that shows a recent ECT patient actually receiving the treatment, but ive come up empty handed. does anyone know of a link to a video that shows a recent ECT patient actually undergoing the procedure? im not interested in an animated video, but a real live human being receiving the treatment. if anyone knows of a link, please post it. thanks in advance.

ps: im looking for a video of someone who whose treatment was successful. ive found tons of videos showing how horrible the procedure is. i want to see one that shows what a success it can be. but keep in mind, id like to see someone actually undergoing the treatment, from the time of anesthesia till theyve woken up in recovery. thanks again.

8 days ago i finished my last of 10 ECT treatments. im now curious as to what exactly the procedure looked like as i went thru it. ive been searching for a video that shows a recent ECT patient actually receiving the treatment, but ive come up empty handed. does anyone know of a link to a video that shows a recent ECT patient actually undergoing the procedure? im not interested in an animated video, but a real live human being receiving the treatment. if anyone knows of a link, please post it. thanks in advance.

ps: im looking for a video of someone who whose treatment was successful. ive found tons of videos showing how horrible the procedure is. i want to see one that shows what a success it can be. but keep in mind, id like to see someone actually undergoing the treatment, from the time of anesthesia till theyve woken up in recovery. thanks again.

I don't know but it can't be pretty since we have seizures. Outcome was not good for me. ;)

Hey betcsu,

When I was an undergrad I worked as a psych tech at a psych hospital where they did ECT. I don't know of any videos, but I can tell you that I did get to watch one of the people have ECT. I'm not a medical person, so I can't tell you exactly what happened, but here's what I remember.

The person receiving the ECT didn't have anything to eat or drink from 8pm the night before. They were 'collected' from the unit and taken to the ECT room. They were given some kind of anesthesia or something to knock them out. They were also given some kind of muscle relaxer that went everywhere except one arm (no idea how they did that). The shock caused the un-anesthetized arm muscles to contract. Then it was all over and the person was delivered back to the unit, mostly slept for the day. The process was really quite fast and not as dramatic as I thought it would be considering the amount of shock delivered (because of the drugs that kept the person relaxed).

The nurse told me they did the muscle relaxer thing to prevent people from breaking bones when they seized. There were several people in the room (doc administering the shock, nurse watching vitals, nurse who 'caught' the arm, anesthesiologist, and of course the person receiving the ECT).

Not sure if that's helpful. Your pdoc should be able to answer any questions you have, and might even have a video somewhere.

Peace,

Wooster

thanks for the info, but i know exactly how the procedure went. itwas explained to me fully before i decided to undergo the treatment. and of course i was awake for all but the seizing part so i know what went down for the most part. i guess i just want to see what it looks like. i mean, actually SEE with my own eyes. KWIM?

of course all the videos im finding are either explaining it like you just did or showing older ones like in ;one flew over the cuckoos nest'.

i'm just hoping to see what 'I' went through....

I don't know but it can't be pretty since we have seizures. Outcome was not good for me. ;)

Actually, I think you would find the procedure un-dramatic. Modern procedures use short acting medications that relax the muscles so that the induced seizures don't cause muscle or ligament damage. In fact, the doctors have to use an electronic monitor to confirm an adequate seizure response has occurred since they cannot tell by visually observing the body.

Here is a 16min film by Emory University Hospital about ECT, showing a patient during the procedure. [link=http://realaudio.service.emory.edu/ramgen/HEALTHCARE/FUQUA/ectshort.rm" target="_blank]http://realaudio.service.emory.edu/ramgen/...QUA/ectshort.rm[/link]

Remember that the stereotyped horror stories about ECT are from the 40's and 50's before the availability of short acting muscle relaxants and hypnotics, before EEG monitoring, and using bilateral stimulation at much higher energy levels.

I've concluded that if I was stuck in a deep depression again and my pdoc suggested ECT, I would be willing to try it.

Best, a.m.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Emory Univ. webpage. video is the first item. a.m.

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/departments...vulsive_Th.html

grrrrr..... okay, whered you get that link? i didnt have realplayer but i downloaded it just to watch the stupid thing. the download went flawlessly but the link isnt working for me. im trying to do a search from within realplayer but i cant find the stupid thing. any suggestions???? im annoyed!

AM,

Yep, I had forgotten that not much happens during the seizures because of meds. I never woke up physically harmed. Except a headache.

I actually looked forward to the anesthesia even that I could only experience the feeling about 15 seconds.

I have no desire to see the procedure. It makes me feel sad because I know how miserable the person must be.

Sunshine Outside

• 1 month later...

well, i finally got to see the whole procedure from the patient walking in to the patient walking out. it was on discovery channel (i think) in one of their documentaries. like you all said, and i knew, it wasnt much to see, but im glad i got to see it and know exactly what it looked like. it made me feel better about having gone thru it.

• 2 years later...
Guest Arkansasblue

Where I have my main ECT I think they video tape each patiant. Before they give meds to put u out they will yell out something like this. This will be a time out for.........name.....and they say what meds will be given and what type ECT I get right unilaterial. Ask your DR. if they took a vidoe of you and you would like to make an appointment to view it.,.

Good Luck!

PS I am gonna ask if I can see mine come next week.

Archived