CrazyBoards.org

Social Anxiety Institute / Dr. Richards / CBT Series

I am new here and have social anxiety and also a latent depression. I am currently listening to this audio series for Overcoming Social Anxiety and am wondering if anyone here is familiar with it and whether it worked for them. I have had it for a while but have always been too busy with school to go through with it for 20 weeks consistently. I have not been taking medication but am not opposed to it if it'll boost my chances of being successful with cognitive-behavioural therapy early on. I truly believe cognitive-behavioural therapy is the only way to get over this problem for me and I plan to attend CBT group sessions at some point, but I don't have easy access to that now. What I'm really looking for is someone to share experiences, successes and setbacks with. I realize how important it might be to have people to share this with as I can't really afford to see a therapist and am hesitant to involve people in my life because frankly, they do not truly understand what I go through.

If none of you are familiar with the series, that is fine. I can answer any questions about it. I hope to learn from you all by engaging with you about this disorder which has affected me for all of my life. So...Hi.

I attended 4 or 5 classes led by a person who had been diagnosed with SP and had purchased the tapes. There were 4 of us. I got nothing out of the tapes I heard. I found them almost embarrassing to listen to with talk about he movie Wizard of Oz and how the characters illustrated points in the tape. Others in the class said they got a lot out of it. Listen to the tapes with other people.The exposure to others always helps me. You have to experience the tapes and make your own decision. What works for others might not work for you and the other way around. This is also true of the meds.

D0 anything that will bring you into contact with others.

lathern

• 1 year later...

Archived