CrazyBoards.org

What do you take for sleep?

I am curious as to what helps you all sleep... whether it is an antipsychotic, benzo, sleeping pill, whatever... I'm having a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep but then take Xanax and can't get up! So I'm curious what else works for you and whether it causes that groggy drugged feeling the next day or not.

Thanks!!!

I am curious as to what helps you all sleep... whether it is an antipsychotic, benzo, sleeping pill, whatever... I'm having a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep but then take Xanax and can't get up! So I'm curious what else works for you and whether it causes that groggy drugged feeling the next day or not.

Thanks!!!

You should really be consulting your doctor on this.

I'm startin gto have concerns regarding how you use your benzodiazepines and if you are getting the full benefit out of them because of the times of day/number of times you use them.

Rozerem is one suggestion. It gets a bad rap but it is fairly new and I think a lot of the doctors weren't sure how to prescribe it and treat with it at first, like a lot of meds.

I get the impression you need to stick it out with that one and give it a chance to settle in.

Another option is trazadone. You may or may not have a headache in the morning. Drinking an assload of water can help this a bit, and you may get used to it, or it may not happen at all.

There is lunesta, which tends to help you stay asleep once you get to sleep. Which may not be your problem but with an effort at good hygiene, it may help you with a steady schedule.

My point is: There are a lot of different options. Mucking about with your benzos isn't really one of them. If your doctor prescribed them for this, tell them you want something else and think about finding a new doctor because you don't seem to be able to find a balance between them and the caffeine pills. Which, incidently, may be a huge part of your problem.

Luna.

Actually, they had been telling me to take 2 mg of Xanax at night for sleep to stop the racing thoughts but I'm only taking 1 mg. I don't take caffeine pills anymore. Rozerem makes me groggy the next day.

I talked to my doctors office. They can't get me in until the end of February. I talked to the nurse on call whose suggestion was to half the Xanax dose at night so I'm not so groggy the next day.

I just wanted an idea of what others are taking so I can get off the benzos and offer bitchy pdoc suggestions. For instance, I know some people have success with Seroquel or Risperdal instead of sleeping pills or benzos.

Nevermind. I'll just have to wait for the pdoc to give me the answer in a month and a half. How I'll get by on no sleep until then is beyond me.

WHen I have paranoia/obsessive thougts/agitation AND wasn't sleeping, I take risperdal. It helped me a lot. But then again, I really love risperdal. I don't take it at very large doses, it doesn't knock me totally out, just helps me to sleep a little by little and doesn't make me zombiriffic the next day.

i sometimes take 100 - 150 mg trazadone. if i don't have to be up at any particular time the next day and neeeeeeeeeeeed sleep.

i sometimes take .5 - 1 mg klonopin to drift off if i realize early enough that i desperately need sleep and plan for 6 or so hours before i have to sleep.

i sometimes take hydroxyzine if i just need to settle down and go to sleep.

most of the time i take nothing and just stay up most of the night. but i rather like my natural sleep schedule. i only use sleeping pills when i desperately need sleep or really just need a good night of sleep for whatever reason.

once a week on average.

i just started 50 mg seroquel and am surprised by how well it works (so far). i sleep deeply through the night, wake up naturally after about 8 hours and even dream (lots of times when i take something for sleep i don't dream, or don't remember dreaming, and i don't like that). i have very little hangover effect the next morning, just some general "spaciness" throughout the day but nothing disabling.

i have ativan prn that i take very rarely, because even at low doses i find it leaves me feeling very hungover the next day.

good luck finding something that works for you.

bean

• 2 months later...

I am prescribed one 12.5mg Ambien-CR tablet when I can't sleep. It doesn't work. Some nights I've taken Ambien-CR, Valium AND Marijuana and I still can't sleep. I'm just not trying to drug myself to sleep atm. Putting up with the sleep deprivation.

Lunesta worked wonderfully for me for a long time (I got a good 2 1/2 years before it pooped out) and am now back to Ambien. For me, the trick with Ambien is to take it then IMMEDIATELY go to bed in sleep mode (I have to get into bed and tell myself that I'm going to sleep now. If I get into bed but decide that it isn't going to work, I can make it not work. It's like I push through the falling asleep, then it's as if I didn't take it at all.) Hope you get some relief.

Archived