CrazyBoards.org

Lamictal and incongnetive thinking

Ok well as you all know i am have been on lamictal dose of 100 mgs. and my doctor doesn't seem to think it is a good idea to raise it even though i have been constantly trying to tell her of my struggles. The last time i seen her she thought my anxiety would help with a benzo, but i didn't think it was bad enough for that. Now, mood has become so much worse, and i seen her yesterday and she said i was like this because lamictal causes incongnition. Ok well i seen my therapist last night also, and she clearly said it was because of depression. I don't know is this normal having such a mood drop after being on 100 mgs. I don't know what to think. I don't understand why she wouldn't go up, why even put me on it. I don't understand, now she want's me to reduce the dosage. I don't understand this, i mean now i am really depressed and she wants me to lower it. I don't think so. I just don't understand, maybe i need a new doctor. ;)

Looks like you're not really on anything with a substancial anti-depressant effect. Lamictal should be higher than 100mg, I think 150 is when they say it starts having AD effects. Usually with Lamictal there is some kind of mood "bump" when the dosage is raised, then you level off. At least that is the experience of myself and some people on here. I don't understand what she would mean by "incognition," maybe cognitive problems? That wouldn't lead to depression, only to forgetting things, right?

Yeah, I don't like your doc either. That's not to say you should get a new one, maybe just clearly explain you are having more depressive feelings and you want to focus on eliminating or alleviating those. If she really won't listen to you or do that, then maybe look into another one.

Yeah, i think i might have, i really hate changing doctors, she is the only one that actually was willing to try lamictal on me, and kinda knew what she was doing. Lamictal was kinda my last and only hope to become somewhat stable for awhile. I don't really think she knows what the syptoms are or how to handle them. I do know that i am depressed and she couldn't see that, just said it was what you said congnitive problems due to the medication, esp. Lamictal. I don't know what to do, i have expressed to her many times on how i am feeling, and she just said it was therapy issues. Which is partly true but when you know you can feel better and that something is wrong and your something is in your brain chemistry is not being properly treated and keeping you from having a proper and fufulling life to the best that you can it sucks. I don't think i have a very good relationship with my pdoc, i feel like she thinks that i shouldn't have issues with my meds, and i can't call her or reschedule sooner appointment without her questioning it, or being puzzled by it. Sometimes i feel like i am wasting my time and her time. I don't know what to do, i feel like i have been very patient, and very loyal and trustworthy, though i have had doubts about the treatment. I often feel like going into the hospital but get very resentful cause i don't think that it should come to that seeing i have a pdoc. I have two kids, and i don't want them to see me like this, i don't want to keep going into the hospital. I often feel like a bad mom, i often feel very weak esp. with all negative stimga. I don't know sometimes i think this fight ain't worth it. What can i do, my pdoc told me to lower the dose of lamictal from 100mgs. to 75mgs. I don't agree and i am not going to do so. I don't understand if i am on it for depression and i am depressed then why lower it? Does that make any sense? Maybe i am having congnitive problems but i think it has to do with depression not the lamictal.

I don't know anymore, i give up.

I think it's time for a second opinion. If you've told your pdoc that you're still depressed, and her response has been to tell you to lower your lamictal dosage, that just makes no sense at all. If it's possible at all, why not see what another pdoc has to say?

I tend to think she should maybe give you a shot at an increase JUST TO SEE what your response is. As noted, the normal dose is around 150.

BUT... Meds aren't magic. They don't always work and there are sometimes signs that they are not and won't and perhaps your Dr. sees this. (Though, like I said, if this is so but YOU can't see it I think she should try, anyway. Just for YOUR "peace of mind".)

Lamictal is not an AD but can sometimes help. Sometimes NOT! Didn't for me.

Sometimes meds in general don't help! Didn't much for me!

"Chemistry" is a main issue for lots of MI, but not for all. So there could be some truth in the therapy statement.

Working things out in all of this can really be tough because, as you said, "I don't know anymore". - but TRY not to give up.

I wish you well.

Thank you Sasha Sue and Steve@3AM, i definitely think i am going to see a new Pdoc i just am scared to. I don't understand i have had some really ignorant doctors, alot making me feel like an untreatable, pain in the ass. One doctor and therapist said "i don't understand why you are so self contious, its not like you are overweight or anything." He wouldn't even prescribe anything for anxiety or depression. Basically i had to deal with it. I have been asked very rudely "Has anything ever worked for you" only after putting me on lithium and zyprexa. Talk about making me feel like a pain in the ass. I just am losing my belief that i am treatable, and that none of these doctors really care. I don't know i am not sure, i think maybe she should of raised the Lamictal and if it got worse then maybe we could know it wasn't going to the med for me. But to lower it, when i am like this, and to not raise it when i spec. had told her i was still having a hard time i don't understand. I was thinking about going into the hospital i can't keep feeling like this, i don't feel very productive and and hate the fact that life can't hold off till things get better. It is just the guilt feeling, and the fact that the negative people in my life tend to use it against me. Right now i just don't have the energy or willpower to keep this up/tll i see a new doc. I just basically am sick of life passing me by and not doing things that i can do. I hate my kids seeing me not being the best mom that i can be and that they need. Sorry kinda turned into a confessional thing. Right now i really can't think straight enough about what to do but i do know i ain't going to call my current pdoc/ because out of resentment of how i feel like i was treated. I hate feeling like a nag, you can only do it for so long. Anyways i am sure some of this don't make sense or off topic but i am going to post it anyways. ;)

I never make sense and I post anyway! Don't ever let THAT stop you! ;)

If we always made sense we wouldn't need to be here. And if we didn't talk and ask we wouldn't find a lot of help here - except by lurking.

You've got a lot of things going on and they just add together. Definitely hard to cope when you feel that the person who SHOULD be central to helping you cope - isn't. Or, at least not perceptibly - which is the same thing from your standpoint. IF there are reasons for the pdoc's actions they should at least have been explained to you well enough for you to understand. Clearly they haven't been.

I could say to 'confront' her with all these feelings. Take a copy of your post? But maybe you already have. I know I always found it hard. I'd just go along and subtly resent things. But not same situation you're in.

Have you talked about these issues with your therapist? Depression can have many causes. Sometimes just the hope you can have for meds to work and then they don't - can increase the depression. Does your therapist see changes from the meds you take? Does she see positive or negative? Does she have ideas about the source of your depression?

I almost want to say to focus on therapy and not on meds. They MAY just mix things up. But I'm really talking for ME, so that may not at all apply for you. Just something to think about with the therapist and pdoc.

Take care

I never make sense and I post anyway! Don't ever let THAT stop you! ;)

If we always made sense we wouldn't need to be here. And if we didn't talk and ask we wouldn't find a lot of help here - except by lurking.

You've got a lot of things going on and they just add together. Definitely hard to cope when you feel that the person who SHOULD be central to helping you cope - isn't. Or, at least not perceptibly - which is the same thing from your standpoint. IF there are reasons for the pdoc's actions they should at least have been explained to you well enough for you to understand. Clearly they haven't been.

I could say to 'confront' her with all these feelings. Take a copy of your post? But maybe you already have. I know I always found it hard. I'd just go along and subtly resent things. But not same situation you're in.

Have you talked about these issues with your therapist? Depression can have many causes. Sometimes just the hope you can have for meds to work and then they don't - can increase the depression. Does your therapist see changes from the meds you take? Does she see positive or negative? Does she have ideas about the source of your depression?
I almost want to say to focus on therapy and not on meds. They MAY just mix things up. But I'm really talking for ME, so that may not at all apply for you. Just something to think about with the therapist and pdoc.

Take care

Thank you Steve for reassuring me with the post thing. I just have been trying to understand what is going on with me. I mean i have told people of my situation and they suggested my problems may be cause my lamictal is too low, so after awhile of complaining of my situation of the problems i am having and her saying give it a few more weeks each time i got a little bit frustrated. I did ask her if she ever planned on raising it(the lamictal) and she said no, because i didn't specifically say i was "depressed" and told me my issues such as staying focused, and making decisions were therapy issues. I could see how therapy could help in some ways, which my therapist tried to help, yet i didn't think my ability to focus or concentrate were going to be helped without the proper meds. She did also say that the if we added more lamictal then i would be more spacey so i don't understand. So that i guess that is when i started going downhill, started thinking that i other problems like ADD or something.

I am sorry for rambling on i think lately i repeat myself.

As for my therapist i think sometimes that she agrees with whatever the dr. says. whether i have concerns not. And I think that she notices the difference but she never talked to me about them, or tried to discover why i did get worse, or why i have the issues i do.

\Not sure, i am tired, i don't know what to do, i think i might go get evaluated tomorrow. Kinda sucks i have my kids this weekend, and i know people aren't going to understand or use this against me but all well. I have to think of myself and my kids. I would rather get help rather than let them see me incapable of taking myself and not being well enough to take of them them properly.

Anyways thanks for your responses, i will let you know how it goes, take care everybody,

Be well, be safe, and have a good night.

Diamond Girl,

I think your thinking is on track. Your Pdoc. is paid for services and you deserve answers and explanations to your questions. Because often time spent with a Pdoc. is limited you may want to write out your concerns and questions and give it to her at the beginning with the session.

Most times, I trying to limit my concerns and questions depending on the session time. I usually start out with any medication concerns or questions I have. Then, whatever next is a priority.

It is most helpful to research the questions that you have. That way, you can always say "I read about" such and such. What do you think about that?

We must be assertive about our treatment. We are paying the professionals and experts for their knowledge, experience and services. If you aren't comfortable with this doctor's services, find a doctor that you respect and trust. That is of utmost importance because we are dealing with quality of life here and even life or death.

I think a second opinion may be the next step here.

Sincerely,

Sunshine Outside

p.s. Lamictal can have cognitive side effects. I am experiencing many of them. But for me, right now, it is work the AD effects.

Archived