CrazyBoards.org

Stupidest thing you've heard in regards to your MI

What is the most ignorant remark someone has made towards you after learning of your BP disorder? Or, the most moronic thing someone said in front of you without knowing you might have an MI?

Mine is an easy call. When I was younger I was arrested for bouncing a twenty dollar check (yeah, they can arrest you for that. Go figure). At six in the morning a pair of police officers show up at my house. Just like many of you would've been, I was still up. Drinking, actually. But I'm getting off track.

After I was handcuffed and put in the back of the car, one of the questions they are required to ask is if I have a mental illness (by the way, is this something you have to divulge?). I told them I was a beeper (thanks for that expression, Maddy). Later in the conversation the topic of religion came up (no longer required questions). I told them I wasn't a believer. Their reply, and this shows such a deep understanding of both science and mental disorders in general, is this:

Do you think that your disbelief in god is why you're bipolar?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's dumb.

I can remember being a teen and having severe depression, and behavioral probs- that came across like bipolar- but my pdocs now say was major PTSD. I was a deeply disturbed teen. One thing people would assume was that I was dangerous- that I intended to hurt people without ever remotely indicating I would do so.

It seemed to a lot of people being mentally ill meant= on drugs, dangerous, bad person.

One of my least favorites is "Why don't you go take your meds" in a sneering tone, which has never been said specifically to me, but just seems like one of the more offensive and ignorant insults, and seems to be commonly used in TV/movie scripts. Oh and most Law and Order episodes are pretty horrifying as well.

Also liking "beeper."

RZettler, I'm astonished. I had someone ask me the same question (re: theism and MI.) "If you just open your heart to [whomever], you'll be at peace."

Unfortunately, when I'm hypomanic, I don't moderate my responses very well.

Other gems of ignorance:

"So how often do you have episodes, like, once a week?" Let me check my Crazy Train timetable...

"I hear people die if they miss any lithium." Well. Yes and no. This seems to be a hybrid of a misunderstanding of HAART and the increased mortality after stopping lithium.

and the ever-classic, "Wow, I wish I could have some mania." I understand what they're trying to say, I really do, but my first reaction is to smack them.

I told them I was a beeper (thanks for that expression, Maddy).

You're welcome, but I heard it from somewhere else. Please do not attribute it to me. I can't remember now where I heard/read it (DAMNED suck ass memory!) but I do know the phrase that it came from "a good little beeper". I can't for the life of me remember where I read or heard it fromthough. I suck.

"Don't be so thin skinned. That's all you bipolar types are!"

Just because I'm crazy doesn't give you carte blanche to be an asshole to me. THANK YOU.

"are you STILL taking all those pills?"

"if you took more vitamins you wouldn't NEED all those pills"

"if you weren't a vegetarian you wouldn't be ill. You need to start eating chicken and fish"

if I cough, yawn or am sleepy (even at appropriate times) - "is it the medication?"

"so how's your head today?" (err.. it's still right where I left it, at the top of my neck)

"are you okay? your eyes look funny. is it the medication?"

all these gems come from my immediate family.

I told them I was a beeper (thanks for that expression, Maddy).

You're welcome, but I heard it from somewhere else. Please do not attribute it to me. I can't remember now where I heard/read it (DAMNED suck ass memory!) but I do know the phrase that it came from "a good little beeper". I can't for the life of me remember where I read or heard it fromthough. I suck.

"Don't be so thin skinned. That's all you bipolar types are!"

Just because I'm crazy doesn't give you carte blanche to be an asshole to me. THANK YOU.

A google search shows the beeper expression to be common, so it is pretty hard to track down the source. Anyway, the first time I heard it was from you, so thanks for passing it along.

This isn't something said to me, but was actually practiced in several states before the 50s. Eugenics used to be pretty popular in the states, before Hitler, at least. It was standard pratice for awhile to sterilize beepers so they couldn't pass the genes along. Nice to know that in a world with countless genetic diseases, my government thought this was one of the most important ones to stop.

PS I'm absolutely not a supporter of eugenics. We are diverse for a reason.

Probably the single worst incident ever was when the cops were called to do a "mental health check" on me because no one had seen me leave the house in about a month and a half. (I have agoraphobia people!) One of the cops made me bring my meds to the door to prove that I'd been taking my meds. And yes he asked the dreaded and most hated phrase that all crazies hate:

"You're taking your meds, right? Are you sure?"

UGH.

Think about happy things

Why don't you try counting sheep (what part of psychosis do you not understand)

Have you seen your psychiatrist lately (in response to a normal upset reaction of mine)

You seem to do better when you are working (damn if I could be working ya better believe that I would be)

Psych meds aren't needed they make people worse (my friend who sees her other people on meds without positive results and attributes depressive symptoms to be the result of taking meds)

Why are you on disability you look normal?

Good Christ!

When I got myself

arrested

last week the

first thing I did was

tell them I was

Bipolar,instant change

in attitude.

They did seem

a little

excitable.

Could have been

the

circumstances.

They

Did Not check to see

if I needed any

meds at the

Jail,or whether

I was a hazard

to my fellow jail-birds.

Ehhh,gonna be months to

clear up

this mess.

Send Lawyers,guns and money,

skip the guns.

the lawyers will get

all the money.

Beep Beep

S

rzettler - I'd heard about sterilization of mentally ill people in Nazi Germany, and about sterilization of mentally retarded people in the US, but not bipolar people in the states. Do you know when/where or have links?

From the wikipedia article on eugenics:

During the 20th century, researchers became interested in the idea that mental illness could run in families and conducted a number of studies to document the heritability of such illnesses as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression. Their findings were used by the eugenics movement as proof for its cause. State laws were written in the late 1800s and early 1900s to prohibit marriage and force sterilization of the mentally ill in order to prevent the "passing on" of mental illness to the next generation. These laws were upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1927 and were not abolished until the mid-20th century. By 1945 over 45,000 mentally ill individuals in the United States had been forcibly sterilized.[citation needed] All in all, 60,000 Americans suffered from sterilization.

When most people discuss the US sterilization laws, the term used was "feebleminded", but that included most MIs, including BP. It was a catchall. Here are a few links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_v._Bell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stump_v._Sparkman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_st...n#United_States

After I got out of the Funny Farm the first time, I went to a county/health dept. "counselor"--couldn't afford anyone else. An exact qote:

"Do you exercise every day?" (no) "I refuse to treat anyone who won't exercise, it will make youir depression go away."

Fron hubby--"Maybe all those years of using drugs has caused you to be mis-diagnosed, I think if you go off all those meds, you'd be a lot better."

Maybe all those years of YOUR using drugs made be batshit!@!!! Ever think about that? Or the fact that you provided all the drugs???

china

P.S. Stasis, what have you done now? In our family, a defination of a true emergency is to bring "Ice, a shotgun and a joint". I might could provide a couple of those--but I am completely out of lawyers, guns and money, my friend.

My all time favorite - and ironically it was my madness (that would be the psycho ex) who said it to me time and time again, "You wouldn't need your medication if things started going well for you. You should get rid of some of the stress in your life so that you can stop taking your meds."

hahaha!

"i don't believe in psychology. you need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps". said by boss who later fired me when i 'wouldn't' pull myself up.

"can't you snap yourself out of it?"

"you know what you did wrong...you're acting this way on purpose"

That's interesting about the term feeble-minded being a catchall. I'm guessing it was a predecessor to "mentally deficient". Do you know anything more on the history of the term feeble-minded? The wikipedia article did not refer to mental illness, and I haven't had much luck with googling.

Archived