CrazyBoards.org

Topamax

Guest percussionismylife

Guest percussionismylife

i was just looking through this book I have(the bipolar handbook) and saw that this Doctor sometimes prescribed Topiramate for a bipolar patient. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and have they had success? Also did you lose weight while on this?

Yes. I take Topamax. You can also see the other meds I take though. It's not generally a first line med or second line either. Some people lose weight. Some don't.

A lot of people experience cognitive difficulties on it- confusion, word recall problems, short term memory loss, other. Dumb as a box of rocks, so some people have said and the common nick name is Dopamax.

However, it does work for some people and work very well. Especially if you have anger issues. I know it helps to keep a lid on that for me and other things but I am also taking it for migraine.

Other people will answer though so you can get more of an idea.

I've been on it since 2001 and there have been different dosages that have made me feel stupid or out of it and different ones that haven't. I'm doing good at this one, I think, in terms of cognition.

i took topamax and lost weight because i was sick as a dog the whole time. i know a lot of people have had good experiences with it, but for me, it was a nightmare. if what you're primarily interested in is the possible weight loss, i don't recommend it.

bean

I actually asked my pdoc about it last week, cause of my migraines--killing 2 birds, etc. He said that it is considered so off-lable for mood stabalization that the FDA won't even let the reps who sell it call on psychs any more. Just no real studies, etc, that show it is effective on "most people" for mood stabalization.

Course, that doesn't mean it won't work for you--"your mileage may vary".

Good luck--let us know what happens--

china

Archived