CrazyBoards.org

Urge to cut

I've been switched to lithium,and now I'm having the urge to cut! I don't know why or how or why it was triggered. I just am a bit depressed. I'm fat and ugly and I've got no self-control. I wonder if this is usual for lithium, or is it because I stopped my abilify?

Papertrees,

I'd call self harm a coping strategy rather than a symptom. I'm not that familiar with whether meds can directly cause it, so far as to say that someone who didn't self harm just suddenly self harms and we can link it directly to the med and that alone.

What might be useful to ask yourself is if your mood/emotional/state/stress level has changed, and you suddenly need to cut again to deal with that. The medication change might play into that.

I agree that a med change is enough shock to your system that you'd want to react negatively. You mentioned in the thread title about needing a safe haven. I don't know how it is for you, if there is a particular place or time that triggers you the most, but I would try to figure that out, and do what you can to avoid/change it. ;) I.e., I cut in my studio, because it's my own world, and there's lots of sharp objects. So if I'm feeling particulary vulnerable, I avoid it like the plague. It can help to *some* degree. Have you called your pdoc and told him/her about how you're feeling?

• 2 months later...

I'd say it has not so much to do with Lithium. i have read that Zyprexa is kind of good for dissociative symptoms which are as far as i know the reason for self harming. (correct me if i'm wrong. i really dont know jack about BPD. i just know some people who have it and i like their openness and flirtyness when they are in the mood :) )

so basicly i dont think abilify is so much different from Zeprexa so maybe not taking it is triggering dissociation which causes the other stuff.

and another thing about lithium. lithium reduces the urge in depressed people to commit suicide even if it doesnt help with their depression at all *freaky*. it also reduces aggressive behaviour (at least in rats *lol*) so i'd say suicide is some kind of self harming too and it also reduces aggression (which can sometimes be toward one self)

so maybe it turn out that lithium is good for you!

btw, you look fabulous on that pic! hereby i ask you to not to feel ugly or anything simmilar ;)

Archived