Going BACK on effexor

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience of going BACK on effexor after a while off it? (about 3-4months)?

I stopped about 3-4 months ago because my dosage crept up to 225mg and my blood pressure shot up with it -  I came off effexor and I didn't go onto anything else, But now basically tthings are starting to get on top of me again... obsessions (ocd), social anxiety and depression...............  oh, and I had massive weight loss (good) on effexor but as soon as I stopped I can barely shed a lb despite working my a$$ off in the gym.

So I was going to ask my doctor if I could go back on effexor but at a lower dose but I have no idea if it will work as well as it did the first time around??? Some people say you can't go back to the same drug twice, does anyone have any idea / experience of this?

Also, what would be a good alternative... I know I should speak to my doctor but she is a bit of a quack and I don't trust her all that much! 

i did that very thing, but I resumed at the same dose I was on when Istopped. pretty much the same pattern as you, ok at first, then gradually sliding down into nadaland. For me changes with effexor have never been quick or dramatic, just gradual.

i'm just going up from 300 mg/day to 375, and then probably to 430, in the hope that i can get a little help with motivation, maybe feel some real pleasure. My blood pressure has never reacted to changes in effexor doses. This morning it was 110/53. It used to be extremely high (already when I was 17, no problems since my mother died, but that's another story.

So. I'm quite sure that you can go back to the same drug twice and have it work; there's just no guarantee.

And,

finally,

and very important!!!

is there any way you can find a doc you can trust? It took me years and years while my life just wasted away until i found a good one, one who knew the meds and who listened. It may seem obvious, but having good support, especially from md's does make all the difference.

all the best to you

tom

I'm just hoping that going back on will help stop me from going completely backwards. I'm doing CBT as well, I have all the know-how I need, I reckon a drugs boost might help though.  ;)

A CPN I was working with a couple of months back reckoned that cipramil? might be worth a go as well.

I dunno, I will have to speak with my doctor next week.

A CPN I was working with a couple of months back reckoned that cipramil? might be worth a go as well. I dunno, I will have to speak with my doctor next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marketed as Celexa in US. ,an SSRI.

Different class of drug than EFXR.

Archived