Need direction for research

Dear Pharmacology Geeks:

I admire you...I barely got through high school chemistry, and I'm pretty new at searching the Web.  Here's my question:

Retinal detachment is listed as one of the infrequent side effects of Cymbalta.  I don't know how to search this on the web because they don't tell you anything about this at the Eli Lilly site--and I assume this event was reported during the trials.  How do I find out if this was a random event during the drug trial?  Or can the drug really cause retinal tears? (Even if it's "infrequent.")

I have read everything on Cymbalta on Crazymeds, the Eli Lilly site, and on Drugs.com.  I don't understand how you find a detailed report on the research.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.  I appreciate the information you all post on crazyboards!

olga

Dear Pharmacology Geeks:

I admire you...I barely got through high school chemistry, and I'm pretty new at searching the Web.  Here's my question:

Retinal detachment is listed as one of the infrequent side effects of Cymbalta.  I don't know how to search this on the web because they don't tell you anything about this at the Eli Lilly site--and I assume this event was reported during the trials.  How do I find out if this was a random event during the drug trial?  Or can the drug really cause retinal tears? (Even if it's "infrequent.")

I have read everything on Cymbalta on Crazymeds, the Eli Lilly site, and on Drugs.com.  I don't understand how you find a detailed report on the research.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.  I appreciate the information you all post on crazyboards!

olga

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Link to pubmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

And here are the two articles I found by searching for "retinal," "detachment," and "antidepressant."

I found nothing on Cymbalta and retinal detachment on Pubmed.

Here's another place where you can get full-text articles, but as you can see, they don't have it either:

http://www.psychiatryonline.com/searchResu...nt=30,8&tabID=2

Okay, what the flying fuck is going on, here?

Edited to add: LinkOut Journals by Title (PubMed)

Dear SOOL:

Okay, I've been to PubMed before, but I can't figure out how to get access to the whole article.  All that comes up is a short summary.

The two articles that you found were in French and German, and I couldn't open them, either.

I searched on that "link-out" thing, too and couldn't get anything but summaries.

Hmmm....maybe I should go to one of my eye sites (I have glaucoma, too) and see if they have stuff about cymbalta and retinal detachment.

Thanks for helping.  I'm not searching for frivolous reasons....I really need to find this out.  Grrrrr....I don't want to go off Cymbalta but if my sight is at stake....

Well, I'll keep looking.

olga

Thanks Jerod and SOOL:

I think I'll go back to my doctor and have him beat up the Ei Lilly rep to see if that will shake loose the study.  I shouldn't have to pay big bucks for information about something I'm taking.

This is very frustrating!

olga

Jerod:

I've got a PCD in solo practice who actually knows his patients and talks to all the drug reps (however briefly) and lets me research the interactions and then argue with him.  I love this guy.  So I was trying to help by doing this research, but I'm getting dead ends.

I'll leave a note at his office on Monday and he'll call me that night or Tuesday night to talk about it.  If they want his business, they'll get him the information.  He doesn't have an HMO picking his drugs for him.

And I know the reps have access to it because I used to be a sales rep:  the good ones know everything about what's going on in the company.

olga

Archived