CrazyBoards.org

got the meds, but my memory still sucks

Anybody have any ideas of how to remember to take my meds? I can have them on me and organized, but I flat out forget to take it. I'm up to 3 times a day now and I need to get creative with a system that will help me to take them on time (yet discreetly - no one at work knows about my crazy pills).

tia!

Well, for three-times-a-day stuff, the easiest way would be to eat three meals a day. Most meds should be taken with at least a little food, so maybe you could do that. If you're not used to eating breakfast, maybe have a glass of milk or soy milk, or a half-cup of yogurt? And keep telling yourself that the food is so you can take your meds.

If you have to spread them out, it could be breakfast, dinner and bedtime.

I put out our morning doses to take with juice or milk when we get up, and ditto with the evening ones at dinner.

Some people set the alarm on their cell phones.

If you are really having trouble with it, maybe get a trusted friend to call you at the times when you need to take them?

I'm glad you're trying to be compliant---it's not always easy to remember.

olga

Thanks for the advice, Olga. I'm going to work on associating taking my meds with something else that I do at each time of day. (My work schedule is kind of weird, so my eating schedule doesn't always work, but I'm working it out with other things, like feeding my fish. Strange, maybe, but I don't forget the fish, so maybe I won't forget the meds.)

That's a great idea! I take a bedtime med, and when I started I put the bottle next to the toothpaste. I NEVER forget to brush my teeth at night, so that association helped me get used to taking a med at bedtime.

The odd time schedule is a hard one. The fish schedule may work.

I have a friend who lives in a city where a church bell tower plays music at 8 AM, noon, 6 PM and midnight. She uses the bells to take her meds! lol

whatever works.

olga

Anybody have any ideas of how to remember to take my meds? I can have them on me and organized, but I flat out forget to take it. I'm up to 3 times a day now and I need to get creative with a system that will help me to take them on time (yet discreetly - no one at work knows about my crazy pills).

tia!

I have bad memory problems too. I use my cell phone's alarm or vibrator to help me. Before and every time I take my meds, I set the alarm for the next med dose time. It only takes a second. I keep my cell phone and meds on me when possible. I can use the vibrate mode when I'm around other people. It works for me!

Good luck! ;) We all need it!

Sunshine Outside

• 7 months later...

tia!

I put an alarm on my cell, I have it on me at all times. I have to take the meds right away when the alarm goes off or I forget. I started doing this for my bc and just extended it to my others pills so that I wouldn't forget. I hate forgetting my Paxil horrible side effects just hours after I forget. The only problem I have now is when I get a new prescription once my refills run out I forget to take the rx to the pharamcy on time. I think I will try putting a reminder in my phone for once a month 3 days before my meds are supposed to run out.

Archived