CrazyBoards.org

Could it be RLS or is it just a part of the ADD?

Does anyone else seem to have symptoms of RLS (restless leg syndrome)?? I have been shaking my legs/feet all my life (it's not so much of a creepy crawly sensation as much as it is a feeling like they need to shake), and it's always worse when lying or sitting down. When I was little, I would sometimes grind my feet against each other really hard so that it hurt, because I was so frustrated with my leg wiggles. In the past couple of years, it's gotten to the point where it will be my whole body that feels like it needs to wriggle around. Sometimes I don't even know I'm doing it... I'll just be lying in bed watching TV and then notice that I've been shaking for the past two or three minutes.

The weird thing is, it is 90% better when I take my Adderall (for ADD). I know exactly when it starts to wear off, because my whole lower half will feel this urge to be anything but still, and I'll start shaking my legs, hips, upper body, stomach muscles, shoulders... whatever it takes to make me feel less restless. So I don't know whether this is actually RLS or if it is just me being antsy and fulfilling my need to move around.

Anyone else do this???

Does anyone else seem to have symptoms of RLS (restless leg syndrome)??

I think that RLS is more associated with not getting much sleep because one just cannot stop moving around in an attempt to get comfortable.

One the other hand, the foot tapping, finger drumming, taptaptapbouncebouncebounce, slouch, sit back up, chew on pens and pencils, lean way back against the wall, walk around so you can think, what was that? something moved, tappitytappity, maybe there's email, dammit I'm BORED! stuff seems to be more associated with ADD/ADHD.

That doesn't mean you can't have both, which would suck.

Yes, I have the same unpleasant sensations Pholar. I would however describe mine to be a kind of creepy crawly sensation.

Adderall has, for me as well, eliminated 90% of the irritating sensations. That is just on a dose of 5mg IR every 5 hours or so.

Adderall has additionally, helped with alot of anxiety and communication issues and I wanted to try Mirapex to see if it had any positive effects that might correspond with adderall's dopamine action. I've tried pretty much every med out there and nothing has helped so much with my anxiety/motivation levels as adderall has. When I take much more than 5 mg I start getting a bit jittery and irritable though. I was interested in seeing how a med that just works on dopamine rather than norepinephrine (and other stuff) as well effects me. Wellbutrin helped but made me mega anxious as well.

I guess mine are also creepy crawly, but it also just feels like I need to move them... like I'm just antsy!

I agree with you about the anxiety and communication problems that Adderall has helped tremendously with... I take 20 mg XR two times a day on most days, but have slacking off lately just because it makes me so irritable and crabby! I'm so much more fun and can laugh so much more without it... but I feel like an idiot around people I don't know very well because I'm such a space case and never know what's going on!

What exactly is Mirapex? I haven't tried anything else yet but the next time I go to my pdoc I'm going to ask to try something new. And he told me NO for Wellbutrin because if you already have anxiety I guess it makes it worse!! No thanks!

Hmm, well I dont think ive ever talked with anyone with such a similiar adderall experience. ;)

Its been so long since ive had the "RLS"-type symptoms because I have been on adderall for so long, but I would describe the feeling to at first be antsiness but then the antsiness just gets more and more pronounced (and then other psychological factors like anxiety or depression possibly add to the 'building up') to the point that it becomes intensely uncomfortable, and I think I remember my legs frequently going numb and tingling along with these sensations.

The reason I am on only 5mg of adderall is because I feel like I get a bit too emotionally volatile on anything more than this.

A big part of my issues are social anxiety and avoidant personality disorder, so I really could care less about how it makes me laugh less and makes me snappy (it does both to me as well) as long as it makes me feel more accepted by people (which is a huge root of my panic attacks and anxiety). I actually have the confidence to say what is on my mind and the focus to organize the words to formulate what I am trying to say. People often find the things I finally have the confidence to speak pretty funny or even intelligent or witty. Where as without the help of adderall I would be far too terrified of the embarrassment that would come from a joke falling flat or me losing my train of thought during a middle of a comment to even dream of opening my mouth.

Despite adderall being helpfull with these things, it still hasn't helped much with the root of my depression which I think is largely responsible for never getting very much pleasure being around people and having little or no motivation for pretty much anything else. I have been trying other meds for many years, if I hadn't allready mentioned that.

I've got to get going. I'll touch on why im interested in Mirapex later on but just put it in wikipedia and other search engines and you will find some info on it quickly.

The reason I am on only 5mg of adderall is because I feel like I get a bit too emotionally volatile on anything more than this.

A big part of my issues are social anxiety and avoidant personality disorder, so I really could care less about how it makes me laugh less and makes me snappy (it does both to me as well) as long as it makes me feel more accepted by people (which is a huge root of my panic attacks and anxiety). I actually have the confidence to say what is on my mind and the focus to organize the words to formulate what I am trying to say. People often find the things I finally have the confidence to speak pretty funny or even intelligent or witty. Where as without the help of adderall I would be far too terrified of the embarrassment that would come from a joke falling flat or me losing my train of thought during a middle of a comment to even dream of opening my mouth.

Despite adderall being helpfull with these things, it still hasn't helped much with the root of my depression which I think is largely responsible for never getting very much pleasure being around people and having little or no motivation for pretty much anything else. I have been trying other meds for many years, if I hadn't allready mentioned that.

Wow, we're really similar. Except, I think the Adderall kind of evens out my emotions! Before I was on it, I was already way too emotional... I would BAWL during movies and sometimes commercials (not even sad ones!) and it was really really easy to hurt my feelings and I always felt left out.

Besides that, I've never been diagnosed with a personality disorder of any kind, but I definitely fit the criteria for a few (depending on what my outlook on life is... it's constantly up and down and changing.. which I'm sure is it's own problem that should be getting fixed). In highschool, I was 100% what the definition of avoidant personality is, but I was never assessed for anything besides depression (parents sent me... I was the "bad kid" and they were convinced it was just because I was depressed)

I've also been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression as well, and Adderall is what really helped me come out of my shell. I felt the same exact way.. scared to death of sounding stupid and no confidence to say what's on my mind.. and couldn't even put the words together anyway. Adderall definitely made all that disappear... but that's pretty much been going downhill since the first year of taking it.. and I really don't know why. The confidence is gone and a lot of the anxiety has come back, but it's still helping me with organizing my thoughts and actually being able to say something intelligent, which is better than nothing. I also just CANNOT listen in class with out it.. I never have been able to, I have no idea how I got through high school!

The actual reason I started taking Adderall was because my ADD was so bad that it was really affecting my anxiety level. I just couldn't listen to people. My freshman year of college, I was finally getting used to my new friends and easing into being "me" around them but I was so afraid they were going to leave me because I felt that I was being a shitty friend because I couldn't listen. I would literally have words go in one ear and right out the other... I heard noise coming from them and was trying so hard to pay attention, but there was just so many other things going on and I would have to say "what?" 3 times to the person until I gave up, or I had to have someone explain a story to me 3 times before I pretended that I got it and just didn't bring it up again... or I'd be watching TV with my brow so furrowed from trying to pay attention to both someone talking to me and the TV (like normal people can do), that I would get headaches! It was totally out of control, and I am definitely thankful that the Adderall has been able to fix so much... in some ways, it's totally a miracle drug!

Hello,

I started to have whole-body restlessness after I began taking an antipsychotic two years ago. It was making my life hell and I finally was suggested by my chiropractor to try a large dose of quality fish oil, which I did and the restlessness totally disappeared and I have not had it since! I know it was the fish oil because when I stopped taking it after a couple of weeks because I ran out, the restlessness slowly returned and then disappeared again when I restarted the fish oil. So anyway, maybe that would help you? Either way, good luck, and I hope you feel better!

-Amanda

ps: the brand of fish oil I used was Metagenics which has a high concentration of mercury-free fish oil

Pholarbear, everything you described about how adderall helps you I can second exactly. Not being able to listen and feeling like a jerk or a moron because of it is intensely embarrassing and infuriating to me (a big symptom of avoidant personality disorder like you said. I am self diagnosing that by the way. No doctors have really tried to label me in years, which is fine with me cause of how much they fucked stuff up when they first tried to do that.) and is a huge precursor to downward spiraling depression. I thought adderall had 'cured' me of all my anxiety and depression at first because I was very rarely embarrased anymore from not being able to listen. However, I later realized that the root of my depression and anxiety was not just tied to those feeling of social ineptness.

I still have my major issues of being ridiculously unmotivated to do everyday personal tasks (im happy to work hard at work because I dont want to upset my coworkers in any way) and feeling way too emotionally drained and negative to have friends or a relationship. Lexapro helps with my negativity and anger but I still feel so depressed all the time that I feel I have no positive emotional energy to work with to make friendships or relationships work. Adderall also has the negative effect of bringing my naughty bits to near zero level of functioning (although often times im grateful for the reduction in desire because I dont feel I have any where near enough emotional energy to be in a relationship anyway). It also reduces my creativity and musical talents a good amount, among other things.

I have been on just about everything. What have you tried and have you found anything that helps?

I dont know if I mentioned that I asked my doc if I could trial mirapex but he just reffered me to a neurologist... damn it.

Meanwhile I have trialed Concerta as well as Focalin. Concerta helps a bit with depression but leaves me pretty foggy headed and focalin makes me hyper focused (while not helping my anxiety or depression at all, which is what I was mainly hoping it would help) and then has a ridiculously harsh "crash" where I am insanely irritable. Adderall has this period too but it isnt as harsh.

Anyhow, sorry for the probably convoluted post. Its late and im not thinking too well. Take care.

Does anyone else seem to have symptoms of RLS (restless leg syndrome)?? I have been shaking my legs/feet all my life (it's not so much of a creepy crawly sensation as much as it is a feeling like they need to shake), and it's always worse when lying or sitting down. When I was little, I would sometimes grind my feet against each other really hard so that it hurt, because I was so frustrated with my leg wiggles. In the past couple of years, it's gotten to the point where it will be my whole body that feels like it needs to wriggle around. Sometimes I don't even know I'm doing it... I'll just be lying in bed watching TV and then notice that I've been shaking for the past two or three minutes.

The weird thing is, it is 90% better when I take my Adderall (for ADD). I know exactly when it starts to wear off, because my whole lower half will feel this urge to be anything but still, and I'll start shaking my legs, hips, upper body, stomach muscles, shoulders... whatever it takes to make me feel less restless. So I don't know whether this is actually RLS or if it is just me being antsy and fulfilling my need to move around.

Anyone else do this???

Check out www.help4adhd.org. According to this site, sleep disorders are fairly common with ADD, and RLS is the most common! I also have RLS and possibly ADD and just recently found this info. If you visit the site the RLS info is found under "AD/HD AND COEXISTING CONDITIONS: AD/HD, SLEEP AND SLEEP DISORDERS (WWK5D)

Thanks for the detailed response. Your post was all very relevant.

About my social issues and the effect adderall has had on them.... I have never really been motivated to go out and do social things. I never got much if any enjoyment out of it at all. About the only pleasure I ever got out of it is sharing humor and of course the comradarie and acceptance you receive out of friendships (which in essense is the whole point of friendships anyway, but I will get to why I cant really appreciate these things). However the big issue is I have always been so terrified of even the smallest rejection from people that this natural occasional consequence of having friends was waaaaay too painfull to make being around people worth it. These rejections, whether small or large to most people, are devastatingly massive to me and would (and still often do) throw me into deep depression and desire for isolation. Adderall helped with getting a little enjoyment out of social interactions, mainly because I was suddenly able to say the funny things I was always thinking in my head, and I was able to verbalize more of my empathy and desire in wanting to help, encourage, or comfort people with their personal feelings/ problems. These two things, along with a general level of comfort and the general acceptance of people, have always been my strongest desires related to social relationships. These desires were always eventually abandoned because of the anger, bitterness and depression that came from social rejections. Some things that contributed to the intense avoidance of ANY social situation were being too terrified to open my mouth because I was afraid I would say something people thought was stupid (this was probably contributed to by the extreme anxiety and panic that I feel in social situations, whether this is a contributing cause of or a resulting effect of my social issues I dont know) and being too mentally disorganized to figure out how to explain a thought or feeling and hence being very misunderstood by people and labeled a moron or thug or weirdo or whatever. I have never really been able to relax and just enjoy the comraderie, humor, and other benefits of friendships and relationships because I am so super sensitive to rejection and I feel so damn naturally awkward that really focusing and trying to "be like other people" takes an unbelievable amount of effort. I can't just naturally smile and enjoy myself and be relaxed. I have to focus incredibly hard on being, positive, pleasant and focused in most of my social interactions. Even when I am able to do this effectively and have a nice exchange or series of social exchanges with someone, I am so drained that I want to just bury my head in my hands and be left alone for awhile because it takes so much effort.... which obviously makes me look like an asshole or fake or something when someone comes to me in a cheerfull mood and I just obviously want to sigh and say nothing. The AD I am on now, lexapro, helps with this greatly but at the same time it does make me feel emotionally flat and boring like you mentioned. Not as nervous or depressed, but also not as happy as I could get (off of the lexapro) either.

When I said ive been on everything I mean most all AD's (and a few anti-psychotics) that are out there other than a few older tricyclics or maoi's (never tried any of those). Over the last couple months I have also tried concerta and focalin which are stimulants which didnt help in any similiar positive ways to adderall. Well, the concerta did help my depression a little bit but left me tired and foggy headed.

I do think my social issues and my depression stem partly from ADD. Adderall helped my ADD issues so much at first I thought I was 'cured' of all my issues but I eventually had to accept that in fact I still did have alot of anger, general anxiety, and motivation/responsibility issues lingering prominently which were still there even with the adderall helping me to focus. Honestly I felt so much better because of my improved social abilities that I didnt give much of a dam about school or these other issues I still had. In fact what I really started focusing on was venting all the anger I had towards my parents which I did nothing but pent up for 12 years or so because I never had the confidence or energy to communicate it.

Meds like cymbalta and effexor really helped my social anxiety but seemed to make me irritable and majorly bitchy in the process. Similiar essentialy to what adderall does. I never really tried those without adderall, essentially because I was afraid to be off adderall and potentially be humiliated by my ADD again.

Without adderall I am pretty dam useless at work and its extremely humiliating. I will forget every other thing said to me and I especially have the exact same issue you mentioned of someone saying something to me and it just passing in one ear and out the other. The same thing goes for the last thought I may have had whenever I am off adderall, I couldnt remember it for anything in the world and that makes me incredibly angry, frustrated and depressed. Im an intense perfectionist.

The same offer goes back to you if you need someone to talk to things about. It's what I loved doing growing up and still do today, listening to peoples problems. I just couldnt freaking pay attention in the past like you said! ;) Take care.

• 2 years later...
Guest Peter DeVries

I have RLS which I take Requip for so that I can sleep. However the symptoms often start to happen mid afternoon which makes it difficult to work at my computer and focus. Sometimes its just my legs but I get jumping all over and have a hard time concentrating and a overall jittery nervous feeling. I've found that sometimes having a cup of coffee actually helps which seems illogical. It has struck me that the two conditions are related and I'm now going to give fish oil a try.

Archived