CrazyBoards.org

How do you stop obsessive thoughts?

I have these obsessive thoughts that turn into daydreams - and I kind of like them. You know, like I'm on a train and sitting next to me is Bruce Willis, but I don't recognize him and we strike up a conversation and he invites me to a party blah blah blah....... These can go on for a really long time. I want them to stop, because they are interfering with my life.

I already am pretty good at stopping bad thoughts. But these daydreams are not about bad things, so my techniques for stopping them aren't working.

Any suggestions?

Risperdal's good for that. I was having the same thing, not all the obsessions were "bad", but I would lose hours, sometimes days due to haziness. It was amazing, it cleared up my mind in about 4 days. I hadn't realized just how bad it was until it finally went away.

I guess seroquel must have taken over, because I'm off risperdal now, and doing okay... some problems, but not near as bad.

Sorry, I don't know any non-medicated coping techniques.

Try and be present and mindful of your surroundings. As your mind starts to wander off, focus on your breath. Continually bringing your self back to the breath can help you stay in the now...in my experience.

Do you think these thoughts are a way to avoid your current reality in some way?

Try and be present and mindful of your surroundings. As your mind starts to wander off, focus on your breath. Continually bringing your self back to the breath can help you stay in the now...in my experience.

Do you think these thoughts are a way to avoid your current reality in some way?

Very perceptive - are you a therapist? ;)

I think they are a way to put myself into a reality that I wish I could have. But that's not really reality, is it?

I'm going through a bit of a hard time right now.

I like your advice though, and I'm going to try it. It's just that being in my daydreams instead of whatever else I'm supposed to be doing is so appealing.....

But I'll try.

Goldfinch, maybe it is worth keeping a little log of when these daydreams occur, maybe something is triggering them, or you only do it in certain situations/times of day/night?

Wow kazuma, you could be me. Its really bad when I'm driving, and due to my line of work I drive a LOT. Its kind of scary when you get to where you are going and don't remember how you got there.

Another really daydreamy time is on the treadmill, even though I listen to music. At least it makes the time on the treadmill go by quickly.

But that is exactly how I feel. I just want to go somewhere and daydream. I also say to myself that I can do that later. Go to bed an hour earlier so I have an hour of daydreaming.

When I'm really busy of course this is not a problem at all. But its hard to keep that busy 24/7.

I think its so interesting that you are not a part of your daydreams. I'm always in mine - maybe I'm a narcissist. But there are people in my daydreams who I sometimes think I'll never see again, and daydreaming about them is the only way to keep them in my life.

As for meds - never again will I ever ever ever take any med that has even the remotest chance of causing weight gain. Been there, done that, still haven't lost all of the weight.

Thanks for your insight.

Seroquel and Effexor are helping with my obsessive thoughts; They vary from seeing myself doing or saying bad/wrong things to following the stories of characters I've conjured up. For example, when I pet a cat, I might see myself breaking it's neck or when I walk by a donation box, I could see myself spitting in it. When I heard "Snow" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers the first time, I daydreamed about a woman with snow-white hair who goes on a journey to find her brother, whom she discovered may have also survived the razing of her town during a war years ago-This kept me at a traffic light for a few cycles.

As for stopping obsessive thoughts, I don't think you can ever really eliminate them completely. Yesterday I saw myself deep-frying my dog's eyeballs and eating them. I think you can only lessen those kinds of thoughts with medication, and attempt to change your attitude towards them by trying not to ruminate on them too deeply. You also want to try not to let those bad kind of obsessions become reality.

For me, it's hard not to see myself as some kind of a monster for seeing myself strangling a co-worker with my bare hands or dissecting my father and then eating his heart.

Archived