I loved my job. I sold books. I worked with great people. But lately, my head hasn't been on straight. I'm too moody - my mood changes many times a day. On Saturday I called into work because when I wasn't crying, I could barely find the inspiration to form words. On Sunday my husband drove me to work, and I couldn't get out of the car for all the crying I was doing. Yesterday I went back to my pysch and he gave me some more meds, and a not saying that I was medically unable to work. I went to work to ask to take a leave of absence. I was told that I had to talk to the General Manager. So I went back today and talked to him, and he said that since I hadn't been employyed for 6 months (I've only been there for a bit over 4 months) that they couldn't grant me a leave of absence. So I quit, because that was my other option. I just wanted a couple of weeks to get the meds into my system - balance things out, and get stable, to where I could get through the day without crying, without getting angry for no good reason.

The General Manager said that he would put on my paper work that I *am* eligible for rehire, and to call him when I get things sorted to see about getting rehired. I'm not going to hold my breath though. I needed the time off to concentrate on getting to a place where I was stable, emotionally. And now I'm feeling worse about losing my job :/

Has anyone else had to leave their job because of not doing well mentally? How did you deal with it? What did you do when it came time to go back to work?

Sorry for so many questions - just feeling kinda down and lost :/

Well, it's probably better that you quit rather than wait to be fired.  And it's a good sign that the employer said you were eligible for rehire.

Personally, the few part-time, entry-level jobs at which I worked, I simply waited until the symptoms interfered with my inability to meet productivity standards, follow work rules, etc.  One job I held for 4 months, full-time, I quit because I simply could not handle it.

Guest Guest_stipple_*

you have to find a job where people don't run away from the fact that this country is full of depressed people which is hard because everything is a franchise but they will get it because the good people deserve to work and you are a good people. so there....hang in there it sucks but maybe just maybe things are turning around i have been out of work for 2 years almost and things can't get much grimmer.So many good people are out of work that there has to be an upswing.

I'm so sorry you had to give up a job you loved. That is a hard realization to have to accept - that MI can force you away from something you enjoy. It does truly suck.

It's good to hear that you're eligible for rehire. I hope that's some comfort at this point. But now you can take some time for yourself and concentrate on getting healthier and happier.

Keep posting and let us know how your med changes are going.

Greeny

*sighs* oh yes, I've had that happen.  I was sent to a mental hospital for a month or so, and then went to outpatient therapy, which took up a good part of my day.  I went back to my job at a grocery store to find out I had lost the job somewhere along the way. 

So, I got depressed again. 

And went back to coping strategies, and my medications, and therapy. 

And when I was feeling quite a bit better, I went out and got a better job. 

• 1 month later...

Yep, know the feeling.  I had to go on stress leave.  After a few VERY stressful months of on-call and staying late, putting in 110% it looks like I may be denied short-term disability because my doctor noted on the form that my anxiety and depression is "work-related".  WTF????? 

Is that not all the more reason that my company benefits should allow me a stress leave of only 2 months as recommended by my doctor?  I am in NO condition to go back to work.  If this is denied, I have no choice but to sell my fucking home and you can bet your ass that I will NOT return to work for such a company that treats people this way.

WORK SUCKS!!!!!!!

I hope you're able to get the time you need and then find a job when you're ready. 

When it was me and my illness interfering with my job I got to a point where I was soooo overloaded and going left and right and working over 60+ hours a week I went home labor day weekend, never came back.  I remember dreading, and realizing that it was just going to be worse and so I finally did what I felt at the time was necessary.  When I'm being interviewed I've said "due to health" and mention the amount of hours worked and it's never really discussed again. Thankfully.  Another time I was let go but it was on very good terms, well, in that they laid me off after saying "this just isn't working" and let me have unemployment and medical benefits (I was 7 months preggers). 

Now, I do everything I can to not let this MI collide with work in such a way I might lose my job but I never know. I just found a new doc and hopefully I'll be peachy. heh. we all know how that is.

I dislike looking for a job when I'm not having any issues, let alone when I'm having a nice little breakdown.  So...Anyhow, I hope you keep us updated and let us know how the job thing goes when you're ready.

Archived