CrazyBoards.org

missed diagnosis...how

so i was legally an adult, my parents had no access to my medical info, and i was in no condition to understand myself. but it looks like i was dxed schizoaffective but never treated in that modality because no one besides the clinical psychiatrist knew.

very weird to me. is this a normal thing to happen?

but for the first time i feel i have a problem where the definition fits and there is something i can do, but damn do i detest the culture of MD medicine in light of this

I was dx with emotional personality disorder when I was 23 and only found out as had access to past records 2 1/2 years ago when I was 41. It would have helped with choosing therapy. I now have more faith in my therapist - he also works in a psych hospital - than the docs/pdocs especially as I never saw the same pdoc more than twice. The only pdoc who was any good was one I met through a personality disorder group and he managed to pick up the schizotypal stuff - first one who did.

Plus there's been alot more research done in the last 20 years with regards MI and meds.

I think it boils down to being active in researching what fits for you as well as not going over board with it. That fine balance and if you're lucky a good pdoc.

Hawk

• 1 month later...

i think you shouldn't know, often we hear words and this is us? Doc's are people too, so let them see the course that follows. And they will be able to correctly asses you with out you knowing what you are "supposed" to do? Thats the best way to tell whats really wrong with you

They don't want to give labelsas this may alter the way the person acts or now sees them self, which willl mess up the diagnosis?

When you go the hospital, they don't know exactly what they checking out for, so they give a differencial diagnosis and test a whole lot of stuff that you don't even knowwhat they ding,, they watch what happens and assess.

Its like sticky ladels on thing, my pdoc is very vague at times, never really says anything specific, rather works off what i'm saying doing right now. then rights it down and prescibes, then sees what happens?

i think it better?

If you have insurance, you can always call and ask what DMX code they are billling under--then look it up. But I think they ought to tell you striaight up what they are writing, and billing--its your medical records and you have a right to know what is in them. Pure and simple, no matter what they tell you.

The bottom line--is the treatment you are getting making you feel better? If it is, they could call you an orangatang, and it wouldn't matter. But if your treatment is messing you up, then its time to get serious with the doc and say "Look, I want to know what sort of dx you are using, and why, and are the meds you are Rx'ing me recommended for my dx?" ASK QUESTIONS--be assertive, its your brain and your money.

china

Archived