I just saw this article and thought of all the fellow crazymedders:

MSNBC article

So, how does that make you feel? First anti-depressants lead to suicide, then psychostimulants, and now anti-convulsants?? Personally, I think I have found a link between Tom Cruise and homicidal ideation... think the FDA would buy it? Then we could put a black box warning on him...

well, anytime someone who already has suicidal ideation is treated and starts feeling better, there's the risk of suicide. a lot of people are too depressed to attempt suicide but once they start feeling better, they have the energy to take action.

True, while others commit suicide because they get impatient with the med-go-round and give up hope.

I posted sometime in the past about that guy bringing the lawsuit...attorney from some New York law firm that does personal injury suits.  Obviously trying to make it big in the world of class actions.  I believe he's also the guy doing the Zyprexa-diabetes II suit.

Lawyers.  They're more dangerous to us than we are!

Guest Guest

I got suicidal whilst switching from Tegretol to Lamictal (for epilepsy). I'm pretty mad about not having any warning/monitoring for suicide, especially as my neuro knows that I'm having trouble with (situational) depression. I didn't even get a referral to a psychologist until several weeks after a cabdriver found me crying hysterically in a parking lot and drove me to the ER. I probably wouldn't have followed through on it anyway but I still think the drs were somewhat negligent. I've been feeling OK since I stopped titrating up and stabilised on a dosage.

They should know about the warnings and someone should always keep an eye on anyone starting or switching anticonvulsants.

That was me above (Guest). I was only warned about The Rash, nausea and insomnia. I think You might want to kill yourself would have been good info - figuring out it was the meds was the only thing that made me decide to hold on to see if it got better. It did.

I'm epileptic, not MI. I just haunt the boards to read up on AEDs and clonazepam (which my neuro wants to add next month). Probably emotional side effects are more common for bipolar than epilepsy patients? I'm expected to slog through any SEs besides The Rash as I'm supposedly "at high risk of death" if I don't get control of the seizures.

I told the neuro that I figured my risk of death was 100%, same as everybody else's. He said I wasn't funny.

That was VERY FUNNY Hobbit!

Reading or watching the news  leads to suicide. 

Doctors screwing up your meds cause suicide or death.  (ended up in E.R. due to negligent health care)

WTF,  give hope, take it away for news or profit.  Best to all of you.  If you have the energy , be your best advocate.  Research for yourself if you have access to info.  If you have the strength or time help some one else.

Hi Kassiane! You  probably don't remember me, but I came here when I was a real mess from the stress attacks & suicidal ideation and you were great at talking me down. Thanks.

It really is total crap. I didn't even think to go to my neuro about the stress attacks (until Kassiane told me to), even though they started within 2 weeks of switching meds . I never did tell him about feeling suicidal. Just last week, folks in my epilepsy support group were talking about having suicidal ideation and psychotic episodes (!!) when they started Keppra. Again they didn't tell the neuro because "I thought it was just me".

It's not like the high suicide rate and comorbitity between epilepsy and depression/anxiety are any secret - your epilepsy society will have a leaflet on it. But I've had 5 neuros, none of whom ever asked me about my mood. If epileptics had 10x the risk of dying of heart attack, you know you'd get referred to a cardiologist within hours of hearing your EEG results.

I just think that the suicide rate for epileptics doesn't have to be so high, if someone would make a bloody effort. Despite their well-deserved reputation for sadistic evil, you'd expect even a neurologist to notice his patients offing themselves left, right & centre. Anyway, enough of me moaning. I'd choose the seizures over bipolar disorder (or even those stress attacks) any day so I won't go on about how hard my life is.

Well, except for the whole "high risk of death" thing, which I find kind of creepy.

History of status. Apparently I used up all my luck on the first 5. Hence the You'll die young. And also the I want to cut holes in your skull and take out part of your brain. Would have been pretty lame to do myself in after making it through all that, plus the 10 years undiagnosed daily (partial) seizures.

And I just completely broke my promise about the not moaning.

Ha! No, I was paraphrasing! He did want to look into whether I'm a candidate for surgery, but the description of intercranial EEG sent me running for the hills and that was just the appetizer. Also my presentation suggests the locus within shouting distance of Broca's Area, and I like being able to use words. I have a "focal mixed seizure disorder of left frontal lobe origin." Try putting that on a T-shirt. I did have some abnormalities on my MRI but nothing probative and they couldn't pinpoint the locus of the seizure activity. Actually, there is a lot of interesting stuff going on in the left side of my head - for example the nerves in my left eye are damaged/deformed. But with the delay in diagnosis, it's impossible to say where when and how this all came up.

Uh - what was the thread title again? Back on the topic, I found that I stopped feeling actively suicidal once the stress attacks stopped. I still spend a lot of time feeling like 10lb of shit in an 8lb bag (but it's not clinical depression). I guess that developing anxiety problems on top of depressed mood can switch you over from "I don't care if I live or die" to "I'm going to kill myself right now."

Archived