CrazyBoards.org

Benzos and dependence

So, what's the deal with becoming dependent on benzos? My pdoc finally prescribed me Klonopin, .25mg in the morning and .25mg at night for anxiety. Im just wondering if regular use such as Im prescribed is definetly going to make me dependent on the stuff. Coming off of it is scary to me after reading about the withdrawal. Though, the Klonopin seems to be helping so probably wont be going off of it anytime soon, but Im just curious. Thanks!

My answer may not be exactly tailored to your question, but I take 1 mg Ativan every night to help with sleep. I was really concerned about tolerance/dependence, but my pdoc said that taking a small dose once a day wouldn't cause it. I've been on it for about 2 months and I haven't noticed any tolerance. As far as dependence goes, I don't sleep well without it, but heck it was given to me because I couldn't sleep, so that makes sense!

Also, if your Klonopin is doing so well for you and continues to do well, that doesn't mean you're addicted, just that the medication is working for you. I wouldn't worry, just give it some time and things will probably be fine. Lots of people take small doses of benzos as prescribed and it causes no problems.

HTH,

Jackee

I've been on one benzo or another for about 20 yrs. I take them as presribed- if you start increasing on your own is when you might get into trouble. maybe i am dependent, but i'd rather live my life with them than without them. if you do need to go off all that withdrawal is not innevitale- under supervision you go off very very slowly, lowering the dose by small amounts over weeks.

Archived