CrazyBoards.org

So... I'm on 100mg of topamax at bedtime. Its my new mood stabilizer. it needs to be higher and I need my effexor to be higher. Most of the day I am running way low. occasionally I will peak to a few normal minutes. Rarely do I enjoy something. anyways. I'm just wondering. How high can topamax go? I heard it depended on your weight... so whats the weight break down approximately?

It depends on what you need and what you and your doctor work out. Some people end up on 50mgs and some on 400mgs [the total recommended dosage].

The weight thing is actually when administering to kids, which is up to 5-9mgs/kg, depending on the kid.

Otherwise, it really depends on what you are treating, what other meds you are taking, and how you react to the medication.

Very few meds seem to have a "by weight" (mg/kg) dosing recommended other than in pediatric use. It's generally "whatever works, but here's the recommended range it's been found to be effective in that you should start with", with the maximum set at the point where no statistically significant number of people showed more improvement at higher doses in trials, just more side effects (ignoring the handful of meds that have a really narrow therapeutic range and need blood work, which are a different story altogether). The usual upper limit for Topamax, and the one that always gets talked about, is 400mg/day, but I'm pretty sure it's officially approved for up to 800mg/day. 400mg is the point past which they didn't notice any further improvement in studies, but the FDA won't start looking at you funny unless you're well above that, since it wasn't shown to be actually harmful in the 400-800mg range, just not to improve things for most people and to have a dramatically higher rate of side effects.

I've been as high as 500mg/day. Someone else on here was on 800 for a few months, then 600 for a while after that. Plenty of people haven't been able to tolerate higher than 50-100 before their heads explode. It really depends a lot on the individual. So, like everyone's been saying in response to every single post you've made since you've come back, go talk to your doctor about it, and see how it works out for you personally. Heh.

Archived