CrazyBoards.org

Ever feel like you are on a moving boat?

I've been having a hard time with this over the past few months- to the point of really getting seasick. I found out I might have been lithium toxic and when I lowered the dose, the moving boat and vomiting went away. I was so relieved to have found the cause and thus the cure.I was fine for 3 weeks or so-

However- it started again yesterday.

I'm so upset- I can't go through this again. I'm clueless how to look up any info because i wouldn't know what words to put in- I don't even know that this ever happens to others. tdoc thinks it could be like a conversion of anxiety- but I've never heard of anything like this.

( before we discovered the high lithium level- doc could find no neuro problems- I of course had convinced myself I was having a stroke or something. so if its not the meds- what could it be.

I guess I'm hoping someone has had or knows someone who has had something similar- as you might have guessed- I'm pretty freeked out!

I've had vertigo for the past month, and when I stand up quickly, it does feel like I'm on a moving boat or something. The first morning I had it, I was in a hotel, and when I went to get up I was positive that the mattress was falling off the bed, so positive I felt the edge to see if I could shove it back...it was fine. I was confused at first because I hadn't had a cold or anything that I thought may have contributed to inner ear problems, but after reading about it, it seems one doesn't have to have had any prior symptoms. If it's vertigo, it can last some time...grrr...

Sophia

Yes, I've had this kind of vertigo before. I don't generally get sea sick, but for sure, when I come back ashore, I get "land sick" for about a week, especially in the mornings, right after getting out of bed. I hate that feeling. Its worse than being at sea. I assume this isn't your problem. ;)

One thing that can cause vertigo is a viral infection of the inner ear. They are fairly common, not much you can do for it, and it can take from a couple weeks to a couple months to resolve. I had one last year from November to about February. I was miserable. made it really hard to drive.

I've continued to have minor bouts thru the last year. Often when I sit down after walking around I have gotten a feeling of "pumping" and like the floor was rocking. Uncomfortable, but would quit if I moved around, and this has mostly resolved itself.

There are a few meds for vertigo, sorry don't remember the name. However, I think the best thing would be to get a Lithium blood level check asap, and see what it is. You may be able to try a lower dose and see if that resolves things.

Vertigo is quite common, and becomes much more common the older we get.

good luck. a.m.

One thing that can cause vertigo is a viral infection of the inner ear. They are fairly common, not much you can do for it, and it can take from a couple weeks to a couple months to resolve. I had one last year from November to about February. I was miserable. made it really hard to drive.

I've had dizziness a number of times over the years. As AM says it is very commonly an inner ear infection. Earlier this week I had the second worst case of it as well as being able to hear my blood surging through my ear. Definitely worth getting checked out by an ear DR.

Thanks everyone-

had my ears checked- no sign of any problem ( I was hoping they would find an infection or something so we would know how to treat it)

Have not been on any boats.

When it was happening before, it would get worse as the day went on-only getting sick at night.

Past few days the whole feeling and the nausea have started soon after I wake up.

So my appetite is pretty much gone again- and when I try to eat, everything tastes bad to me.

o this sucks.

I believe the drug is called meclazine for vertigo- i'm going to look up vertigo for more detailed info.

• 2 weeks later...

I devolped vertigo almost 8 years ago. I can be sitting perfectly still and feel the chair sinking into the ground. Riding escalators and fast moving elevators usually results in me having to grab a wall or sit down before I fall down. Boat trips are absolutely out of the question. Even a gentle 20 minute ferry ride made me sick for hours. Being on tranxene seems to help but, it still sneaks up on me quickly. I suppose I have adjusted to it or just accepted my fate. Good luck and I hope they find a solution for you.

Archived