CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc just prescibed me Lithium ER at 450mg twice a day. I was wondering if that seems like a lot just to start out on? It's one of the last drugs my pdoc would try. Now if this doesn't work he is recommending ECT which is very scary too me.

Guest biernaise

Isn't it funny how different each Pdoc can be? Mine tried Lithium as her FIRST choice and started me off at one 300mg a day and titrated me up from there.

Is he prescribing blood tests? If he isn't then I would get a second opinion for sure. Too much Lithium too fast is just asking for trouble.

Lithium is the best thing that ever happened to me, btw. It may be great for you but it's gotta be done right!

It's all up to pdoc discretion. A typical starting dose is either 300 or 450mg a day, depending on the formulation. However, for acute mania, the PI sheet says to give 1800mg a day and reduce dosage once the mania begins to ease!

The important thing is that you should have a blood level check about 7 days after starting. With those results and your response, he can adjust your dosage up/down appropriately.

Your pdoc may have given you a larger starting dosage in order to get hold of any depression/suicidality or hypo/mania that you may be experiencing. Based on most people's reporting, you will probably feel it take hold in 3 -5 days. Try to bear with the side effects, as Lithium is a wonderfully effective drug and the side effects taper off.

Good luck, a.m.

• 1 month later...

I am on eskalith at 1350 mg a day. my blood level is at 1.17. Everyone is different on what dose works for them. I think it's working pretty well, just have to piss a lot. I'm on a few other things too. I'm mainly dealing with depression and sleeplessness without the other drugs. When I was put on lithium I was severely agitated and aggressive. So here I am, but my doc isn't going to take me higher

Archived