CrazyBoards.org

removal of scars

Ashdene

hi Ashdene ;)

i found two kind of contradictory sites about this (thought about it too before).

this one is a study on burn marks rather than scars - not sure if the principle is the same?

[link=http://practitioners.meditech-bioflex.com/research/abstracts/burns.php" target="_blank]Meditech study [/link]

this is a link to a clinic Dr. Chernoff and Associateswho claims to be able to produce a 75% reduction in scars - but i don't see any research to prove it, so i'd look again. that website probably describes the procedure itself better though (and maybe the price, too).

edited to actually include the links, duh

hi Ashdene ;)

i found two kind of contradictory sites about this (thought about it too before).

this one is a study on burn marks rather than scars - not sure if the principle is the same?

[link=http://practitioners.meditech-bioflex.com/research/abstracts/burns.php" target="_blank]Meditech study [/link]

this is a link to a clinic [link=http://www.drchernoff.com/scrstrwr.html" target="_blank]Dr. Chernoff and Associates[/link]who claims to be able to produce a 75% reduction in scars - but i don't see any research to prove it, so i'd look again. that website probably describes the procedure itself better though (and maybe the price, too).

edited to actually include the links, duh

Hey angel,

thanx so much! I'll go look what i can see! If i do find anything else i'll let you know too. y paremts i kinda keen for me to get rid of them, so hoping they will fund. holding thumbs!

Thanx a mil again!

Love Ash

WARNING!

i was sent to a plastic surgeon by my p-doc last nov to have my scars looked at to see if they could be removed by any form of surgery or laser.

if your scars are over a large area - no

if your scars are long or deep - no

if your scars are not fully healed, as in not white yet - no

all i got was no no no

it was the most humilating experience i have had, mind u i am sensitive of my scars and dont appreciate showing them.

I was told in no less a words that there is little to nothing they can do for most SI scars for various reason (where we choose to cut (wrist, legs, arms, chest, stomach) the area over which we do and the amount of times u repeated the area. most of the time surgery will just lead to more scarring and higher likely hood of keloid scarring due to scar tissue. and all other treatments i was told where not worth money as they would show little to no results. i tried those damn silcon strips for months - nothing.

i am not trying to be super negative - just telling u what i was told - incase u were given like i was false hope that there was a way to make them 'go away'

i'm sure u'd rather here a warning here then have to go to the doctors office lift up your skirt and show years of scars around your upper thighs/legs and private region, to someone who will turn around and say "time will heal them, give it 5-7years and they will look no worse then strech marks" (yeah male dr can tell "no worse" id rather have neither)

Was very unplesant and i let my p-doc know this and that if he eva recommended another girl to see a dr like this to make them aware of how it could impact them.

Good luck wit it and if u find something that works let me know pls!!

thanx for all the information! Not negaative and nice to hear the facts and expirience!

Sorry it wasn't nice for you!

I know it was a real stretch or hope! Can't stand them. Haven't done it for quite awhile now, and just want to move past and not have it in my face.

Also it putsup such a wall with other people, on a professional level while working with patients, making new friends or relationships! I dont want it getting in the way.

I know i did it myself and thats not going to change. But i dont want to hold me back. I hate people seeing it!

I also thought that any procedure might cause more scaring? I'll ask the person who told me where they got there info. The burn scar tissue is a good piont!

Also just remembered my mums friend is a plastic surgen so i'll get her to ask. He'll be honest and i find it amazing, she never seems to get embaresed!

Will let youknow if i find anything helpful!

Luvies Ash

It's worth talking to a plastic surgeon or two, to find out about what options you have.

I went to one years ago, and got cortisone injections into the raised, dark scars on my wrists. This made the scars flatten and turn white. They're still there, but less conspicuous. Last I checked, this was the best they could do.

That was some time ago. It's possible that advances in dermatology and laser therapy could provide an answer. You really can only get this information from a cosmetic surgeon or a dermatologist.

There is also the option of cosmetic tattooing (tattooing a flesh color over the white scar). Cosmetic tattoo artists brag about how amazing this is, but in truth, you want to be very careful going into that. Very few permanent makeup artists are qualified to do this kind of work. Also, they can match your skin tone now, but if you tan, the tattooed area will not change.

Honestly, I hate my scars. The prospect of having more scars is ultimately what helped me stop cutting myself.

yeah i'd second what mad genius said and see as many people as u can to get correct info

and my warning i guess was not a ment as a deterent against finding info more as a warning to have yourself mentally prepared for the discussion wit these people - i obviously wasnt. prepare yourself for the fact that nothing mite be able to be done, or that treatment may be a long process. i was in the same place as u i hadnt cut for awhile and my doc and i thought removal of the scars would be best if possible as having them was a daily reminder - plus as u said they impacted on my work, i cant go to the beach unless in shorts etc etc

im actually seeing a dermabrasion (sorry cant spell) guy in a few weeks as my mum, like yours, has little hesitation in asking for help for me and he said he 'may be able' to help.

so i wish u all the best, be strong and if u get negative feedback pls dont take it the way i did which was that there inability to help was some how a punishment for my own 'bad' behaviour. good luck again keep me posted

Hey!

Thanx, you guys been so helpful! I'm definately going to do some research! I think its worth it. I completely relate about stopping for no scars, I can't bear having any more scars. But I think its also different now, I see the whole situationn from a different angle so don't want to go back there.

And I want to go back to the beach with my friends!!! I know it will be impossible to go away completely, but a little less prominant, its not just awkard for but my friends too!

Nice to know about the cortisone tho, quite interesting. Good to know all the facts, then I can go, drill the guy and see what other imput he cann add or find out!

Let me know how the derma guy goes! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanx for everything!!

Luvies Ash

• 5 months later...

My friend had laser treatments and the scars aren't noticeable.. I don't know what it looked like before though.

Try Mederma, or other scar creams. Ask a pharmacist.

Luckily, I don't scar heavily or keloid.. but they're still there.. I haven't tried any ways of removing them. I have tattoos over most of my scars anyways.. you can see them if you look very, very closely.

• 1 month later...

I personally have one very deep set of scars that are very noticable. They are straight cuts on my thigh.. so other than a plastic surgeon cutting away that skin and putting stiches in the rest to produce something less visable.. I'm pretty much stuck with it.

I say, let it heal enough to where they are flat white scars, and then get a tattoo over them. That's what I plan to do. There's rx tape and whatnot to speed the process up.. but what it really takes is time. You'd be surprised how much tattoo's can hide when done properly.

• 2 months later...

This is probably not what you want to hear but I'm going to say it anyhow. I spent years torturing myself over how to get rid of my scars. Can it be done? Will I ever be able to afford it? Etc.? (I haven't cut myself for 25 years.) Then I came to view my scars with a sort of pride - not pride that I cut myself but pride that I survived. I see them like tatoos now (I only have one small tatoo.) So, if you can't get rid of them, any chance you can embrace them for the right reasons? Just a thought. Best of luck.

i share the same sentiment. i treat them as though it were battle scars. not that im proud of them, i always give my right arm whenever i get blood taken, but for me they are a part of my life, of what i have gone through.

• 2 weeks later...

i would think you would definitely have some luck with laser therapy, but how bad are your scars? i know a girl who had VERY VERY deep, severe scarring on her forearms who actually had skin grafts that look pretty good...but i say again her case was extreme and that is probably not the best option....

I hate giving blood! agh, i find it painful!! I can't seem to get used to them and haven't been cutting for two years, got quite a few bad ones. Met the boyfriends parents the other day and i get so selfconcience about it. Cause i know they sussing me out even if i didn't have scars they would, its only natural cause tey parents and they want they best for him. And scars like the ones i got pt me in a lttle box. Its just not who i am anymore and I still crnge every time i see them, or somebody else see them.

Agh well, whats done is done, i kinda just gven up. I'm scared of making it look worse!!! hopefully there will be somethng one day or I'll get the hang of it!

thanx guys

xoxox

Archived