CrazyBoards.org

Fuck I'm Emo..............

I'd like to apologize in advance for being a stupid stereotypical angsty teen type guy.....

Okay, so I've never really been that good at talking to people and lately I've been feeling kinda deppressed but not that bad and having some self-esteem issues. I feel kid of like when I talk to people I only make things awkward and uncofortable for both so I shy away from alot of social siuations. Now thats all fine and dandy but I often find myself doubting my own feelings and thinking I'm just a stupid emo bullshitter who dosen't have any "real" problems. Which obviously makes my self-esteem go lower. Also I find I'm less pre-occupied with my thoughts some times and mannage to think improvment might be possible. which only backs up my preconceptions about being an "Emo".

Sorry for rambling on about stupid bullshit, I guess I just want some approval which makes me fit the attennion crazed teen stereotype too.

Sorry for wasting your time.

p.s. Sorry if I put this in the wrong section of the forum.

first, sticklah, stop apologizing for yourself, k? ;)

maddy's got a good point. you might just be going through normal teenage angst (which, believe me, we all do) or something more serious might be going on.

in either case, talking to a therapist couldn't hurt and might help. even if it's normal teenage turbulence, a tdoc can help with your sadness and shyness and low self-esteem. if it is something more, they can help you sort that out and get whatever other treatment you might need.

why don't you give it some thought? and keep coming back and letting us know how you're doing, we care.

bean

yeah, what maddy and zenbean said.

my kid's totally emo (although she makes a HORRIBLE face at me when i say that :)). however, she's got the look down perfect right down to the piercings and the antisocial commentary all over her arm ...

she's on the waiting list to start therapy anyway. she might be going through an age thing (which nobody should minimize, it's a hell of it's own kind). or just might just be an angsty kind of person anyway (she's an artist/writer ... now there's a shocker. are any creative people actually happy?).

or, she might have deeper problems than that (she's genetically kinda screwed in that area, so it never hurts to find out what's really going on there).

so really, trying out therapy doesn't hurt in any of those situations. there aren't really any bad side effects, unless you get a therapist you hate and get more angsty and bitter over it hee. ;)

for what it's worth, although i'm pushing closer to forty.... i was the queen of angst at that age as well (i think i might still be at times lol). back then they just called us goths. emos at least have a range of actual color that's acceptable to wear hehe.

-lysergia

You are never wasting our time! the whole point here is that you can talk about anything and ask anything.

whether its "angsty" teen or something else really doesn't matter- if you are feeling bad, you are feeling bad. finding ways to cope with it is what's most important. you don't have to apologize- you deserve to take care of yourself! finding a tdoc is a great way to start. and keep talking to us about how you are doing.

(forgive my ignorance- what is "emo" ? )

Emo has been called many things over the years. Initally it was used to describe a kind of music with deppressive personal-ish lyrics. Now adays it has become a form of dress and a deppression in middle class teens whos lives are perfectly fine usually used to get attention. At least to my understanding. I'm probably wrong though....

Emo has been called many things over the years. Initally it was used to describe a kind of music with deppressive personal-ish lyrics. Now adays it has become a form of dress and a deppression in middle class teens whos lives are perfectly fine usually used to get attention. At least to my understanding. I'm probably wrong though....

Some time ago in the 80s I think, "emo" was short for "EMOtional hardcore", a style of punk and metal music that was supposed to be heartfelt as well as loud.

Somewhere they decided that "heartfelt" had to be narrowed in definitions to only have to do with breakups.

Elsewhere, SI figures into this, don't ask me how.

I hate to be so ignorant, but whats a Gp, Pdoc and Tdoc?

Oh, you're fine sweety. Quit apologizing.

GP = General Practitioner (your family doc, most likely)

Pdoc = Prescribing Doctor (the person who prescribes your psych meds - can be a psychiatrist, GP, whatever)

Tdoc = Therapist

I was an angsty little teenager. I don't think I fit into any group like goth or emo. I just wore a lot of black, dyed my hair funky colors, and would sometimes paint my middle finger nail a different color than the rest so it stood out. I also wrote a lot of really bad poetry.

I lost the look and the poetry as an adult, but I didn't lose the poor self-esteem, self-harming tendencies, and the depression. Definitely get checked out. It might be something, it might not be anything.

It seems like we stress preventative care for a bodies but not for our minds...odd when you think about it.

Are you on any meds?

Have you spoken to anyone (GP, pdoc, tdoc) about what's going on?

I hate to be so ignorant, but whats a Gp, Pdoc and Tdoc?

For any other terms that you may not understand you can also go here:

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...E=01&HID=17

Or you can click on the Help button in the upper right hand corner and then click on the first link: List of Mental Health Terms

There is also other info available in the Help menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Emo's goths, in my day, we were Greebo's. Basically anyone who didn't see the world a certain saccharine sweet fluffy way and was young was made to feel bad about how they felt.

How you feel and dress may be related. It may not be. The fact is, you seem to be having a number of feelings and problems dealing with those feelings, that get in the way of living the sort of life you wish to live. And whether you like Fall Out Boy or not, that struggle to live is an issue that is valid and needs sorting out.

I agree that as a young person in our culture, no matter what class, life is hard. It is scary, anxiety provoking and anger inducing. Maybe you aren't mentally ill, but you still have a rough ride. You are still entitled to help. No one on here can tell you whether you are ill. But we can recommend you talk to a trusted adult, a teacher who you feel understands you, a parent, a friend's parent, a relative, maybe you could ring a local helpline if you feel nervous telling people face to face. You could even see your doctor.

I still wear a lot of black, eyeliner and listen to music my folks call obnoxious and weird. I don't suffer with the MI I did back then. You can still be who you feel comfortable being without this pain. I wasted a decade because I let people convince me I was a moody angsty teenager, when I had real issues and stuff to be sad about.

p.s. witch hunt by Rush?

mkay... i know that's the stereotype, as well as the typical moral judgement that accompanies it.

BUT.

kids(people!) do rebellious stuff and choose to adhere to the look of a certain subculture for a whole list of reasons. the reason at the bottom of that list is probably the "for attention" (of the vain kind) factor.

it's hard to believe from the outside that someone who looks like they've got it all would do anything like self-injure or scream HIM lyrics in the classroom or wear three inches of black eyeliner... for any other reason than to get attention... until you find out what their life is really like.

being loud about pain (through the clothing and the makeup etc) and deliberately creating it (through self-injury) is a cry for someone to pay attention because you need HELP, sometimes. the fact that a hundred thousand other people's facebook pictures look the same way just makes it easier... it's a cry for help with something.... but not as risky socially as REALLY screaming out your pain (like wearing a ronald mcdonald costume with platform shoes and a feather boa). no matter how much pain you're in, taking a social risk like that is just TOO hard for most people, i think.

a kid can hide amongst the "culture" of depressive lyrics & negative worldviews & emo-ness and feel relieved, too.... at least they aren't expected to be smiling anymore (which sucks when you can't think of anything to smile about). even if that kid used to look and act pretty normal (i remember it was a huge relief for me, though i'm just an ex-goth heh). i'm just saying... it doesn't always mean these kids are being fake/posturing/whiny for its own sake.

Sticklah, though you just happened to be the one to offer up that definition, this post isn't really directed at you. i'm just feeling compelled to defend emos everywhere :). it's a pretty misunderstood subculture i think, just like with kids that embrace "ghetto" culture even if they're white (nono, i will not say that "w" word designated to describe those folks grr). there are real reasons kids are attracted to the social circles they end up in, even if the reasons seem contradictory.

not saying though, that there isn't any humour in picking on emo/scene culture.... oh man the jokes about the maudlin factor alone could fill a movie ;) . trust me, being an emoparent (is there like a pflag or something for us? heh), i hear (and make) "whiner" jokes all the time at home... and the emo kids hanging around in my livingroom seem to think it's pretty funny to laugh at themselves, too. i think if they weren't genuine in how they chose to look/behave, they wouldn't be able to laugh at themselves. "fake" people get defensive when teased, in my experience.

well there was my opinionated sociocultural rant for the day!

Archived