CrazyBoards.org

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

LunaRufina

• 7 months later...
Guest musicnotes99

How are treatments working out for people who have it?

I've been trying melatonin every night before bed and taking anti inflamatory meds for my joint and muscle pain and it worked for a while...but then I went to University and I am just feeling floored...and sick ALL the time. I hate how a majority of health care professionals don't acknowledge that it is a real condition so a treatment or cure is a while away yet. It is hard to diagnose CFS though because it does imitate a variety of illnesses..lupus, fibromialgia, rheumatory arthritus..etc. SO without a proper treatment, it hasn't been going well for the past 5 years.

You know, I've been sick sick since friday and getting sick for a while before that. I feel like I should be getting better. Maybe this doesn't belong here, but I'm worried that I'm now stuck in my sick downward spiral of sick sickity sickness.

How are treatments working out for people who have it?

Personally (although I am not a doctor), I believe that CFS/CFIDS isn't a single disorder "caused by a single bug", but a predisposition to certain and varying latent and chronic infections due to a weakened immune system (CFIDS = Chronic Fatigue and Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome). I do not believe that any therapy directed against a single organism or autoimmune cause will cause a significant remission rate for the CFIDS population at large.

I've been speculating on this stuff a lot recently because my own illness has a high resemblance to CFIDS (it's just that if you immunosuppress me enough (via meds or exercise), my eyes lose their ability to align vertically and I have other overt/easily visible neuro issues). I do have the constant fever that most people with CFIDS have (aka the 24/7 flu), the swollen lymph glands, and abnormalities in my blood cell counts.

Who knows, maybe the bug I'm stricken with is one of the culprits in causing CFIDS...

Anyways, I hope CFIDS is not your problem or what happens to you... I don't think anybody deserves a disability that nasty... One that on a long-term basis, prevents you from/reduces your capacity to work and live life, and everybody around you just saying you're lazy since they see no overt signs of illness (I had that reaction initially when my work attendance started dropping two years ago).

My mother's about on the verge of telling her co-workers that I have cancer, just to get some of them to shut up about me being lazy and not getting a job. I mean seriously, my mother.

• 1 year later...

as long as i don't get sick (cough cough) and keep up on my sleep, i've been doing pretty well.

i think the absurd list of supplements i take is still in my profile?

I looked in your profile but the supplements must have been taken out. Has anything worked for CFS for you? I'm reading through the posts (there isn't much) and read that its biological, but also that it only last three or four years, which seems strange. I've read recently in the news that a virus was frequently isolated in CFS patients (but one that has no treatment, which is ... whatever). In the depression/cfs debate, would cfs be basically indicated if you want to do things (with gusto, Jesus) but cannot? Anything else to distinguish? You seem smart which is why I'm asking. Take care.

Archived