CrazyBoards.org

my boss gave me this

Wow, it's been a couple years since I've tripped across that site.

Look, it's full of tripe and B.S.!

How can you take its logic seriously when it use examples such "benzos are bad because alcohol was prescribed for centuries for anxiety".

And such luminary commentary from: "Comprehensive overview of psychiatry by Gary Null, Ph.D."

Gary Null has NO standing to comment on psychiatry. He is a nutrition wacko who makes a living selling vitamins and wheat grass extract on a weekend radio show. About ten years ago he suddenly started calling himself Dr. Null. As it turns out, his PhD is from an unacredited virtual university diploma mill with no campus run by a friend of his. His "doctoral research" consisted of a multiple choice questionnaire he handed out to his friends and coworkers. His "dissertation" was a 26 page summary of the questionnaire. Anyone who has the slightest inkling of academia will understand the fraud there.

Understand that there are people who are foam at the mouth about psychiatry and write about it in obsessive ways. Scientific evidence and experience observation that millions of people have benefitted from modern psychiatry and medicines seem to carry no weight.

Mental illness has a physical, biological, chemical basis. If we could simply think ourselves well we would. I do agree, and it is documented by many studies, that talk therapy and forms of behavior modification can help significantly in concert with medication.

a.m.

How interesting, Scientology!

The group that thinks their fearless leader (Ron Hubbard) descended to earth in a space ship.

Yeah, these are people who are really qualified to give medical advice.

**olga slugs back her Wellbutrin and trots off to do the laundry**

I can't remember not being medicated.

what do you all reckon about this site

You could always politely tell your boss that you've looked over the site to the extent that you were inclined,

and ask that in the future he not introduce Scientology literature into the work environment. As a recognized

religion, their materials should fall under any of the same HR restrictions as "The Watchtower"

I'd love to give one of these idiots a nice psychotic episode, and then ask them to get through it with vitamins and positive thoughts. Sure, some psych meds are over-prescribed, but so are antibiotics (waaaay more so, and probably more dangerous, given the rise of resistant bacteria). Of course you can dredge up cases of inappropriate prescription, but so what? They should try and live our lives some time.

My boss doesn't know I'm on meds. We were reading the paper about a shooting on a uni campus recently and he declared it was probably because the shooter was on "psychotic" medication. I protested a little then decided to back off because he was quite opinionated. The scary thing is he is a very nice and intelligent man. Anyhow later on in the day he comes up to me and gives me that web site.

Sometimes I get a little worried about swallowing such large amounts of meds everyday for years and years on end. I do wonder if they're addictive though, because I absolutely love reboxetine. Although it could be that it stops me from sliding into a hole of doom. Does anyone know how long term SSRI/SNRI use effects the liver?

anxious and paranoid

Discovererant

PS sorry to post such an inflammatory (and possibly pointlessly aggravating) link.

PS sorry to post such an inflammatory (and possibly pointlessly aggravating) link.

Heh.

I learned a little bit about how one or two of the folks operate. Pick at one or two of the right terms, and a whole bundle of unwholesomeness unwinds itself from the internet.

Sometimes I get a little worried about swallowing such large amounts of meds everyday for years and years on end. I do wonder if they're addictive though, because I absolutely love reboxetine. Although it could be that it stops me from sliding into a hole of doom. Does anyone know how long term SSRI/SNRI use effects the liver?

I'm not sure much study has gone into long-term effects. But I am surprised to read that someone loves reboxitine. When I've taken it, it struck me as quite effective against depression without particularly elevating a person's mood. It reminds me a bit of Dirty Harry: Blunt, efficient, no-nonsense, and no use for petty problems. (And those who don't see that as an improvement, probably don't know depression!)

OK.... today I found out my boss is a scientologist........... so we can all relax.

I didn't know real people could be scientologists!

reboxetine tastes like ($%#)....

That is why I always follow with a shot of straight red cordial. The whole aftertaste goes away after a few months anyhow

That is why I always follow with a shot of straight red cordial. The whole aftertaste goes away after a few months anyhow

thats a really good idea. if i have to start taking it again, the first thing i'll buy is more red cordial ;)

i've never met anyone who's a scientologist!

• 1 month later...

no thanks on the scientology... but I have to say, as a person who has been medicated most of my life, I don't know how to feel about psychiatry. Sometimes I wish I had never been put on anything. Other times I wonder if I'd still be here if I hadn't been. All I know is I'm in too deep as far as psychiatric meds go and living without them at this point would be hard. Call it an addiction or whatever you will, I just don't see myself med-free for quite awhile.

I laughed when I saw the recommended reading page. There's a whole section on St. John's Wort. ;) The plant causes some of the same dreaded brain dysfunction as prescription antidepressants, jackass...

Archived