CrazyBoards.org

Prozac for anxiety?

Guest Suzanne Martin

so i got prescribed prozac for my extreme anxiety,

but when is it supposed to calm me down?

i'm pretty much as spazzy as i was before it,

ive been on it for like 3 weeks.

and im on 20mg

xxAutumnxx

and im on 20mg

xxAutumnxx

Dear fellow sufferer:

If you've only been on 20 mg. of Prozac for two weeks, I'd give it more time--about four to six weeks. Also, your dosage is pretty low. As it goes up gradually, it should work better. I think that all antidepressants are subjective and it can take a few tries with different ones before you get the one that's right for you.

If your anxiety really gets out of hand, I'd call my doctor. Just my opinion. I hope you start to feel better soon; anxiety really sucks.

• 5 months later...

4-6 weeks for the full anti-anxiety effect, but I usually needed to take buspar along with it.

and im on 20mg

xxAutumnxx

Dear fellow sufferer:

If you've only been on 20 mg. of Prozac for two weeks, I'd give it more time--about four to six weeks. Also, your dosage is pretty low. As it goes up gradually, it should work better. I think that all antidepressants are subjective and it can take a few tries with different ones before you get the one that's right for you.

If your anxiety really gets out of hand, I'd call my doctor. Just my opinion. I hope you start to feel better soon; anxiety really sucks.

Prozac didn't do much for my anxiety, but I do have massive anxiety. Give the Prozac time to work, but if needed later, you might want to ask your doc about benzos and/or Cymbalta and/or Seroquel. Those are the drugs that helped me in ascending order.

Guest Guest_Chris_*

Autumn:

I have a bad anxiety disorder. I've been on 30mg/day generic fluoxetine for two weeks. It's already doing something, but it's not as a powerful as I would like. I say after four weeks, if you get nothing, either up the dose or try a different med. Everyone's different. I was on a high dose of Lexapro (40mg) for a whole year and it did absolutely nothing for me, though others say it helped them immensely with their anxiety disorder. You've just got to experiment. These meds are pain, eh?

and im on 20mg

xxAutumnxx

Archived