CrazyBoards.org

Moderation

Do we have difficulty with moderation in general?

I suspect that this is an issue for bipolars, but I may be mistaken.

I have difficulties with moderation generally- with work, with buying things [especially gifts], with junk food, food in general, a lot of different things. [ used to have trouble with moderation with pot and cigarettes and alcohol but I don't smoke anymore and don't drink often.] And it has always been like that.

Does anyone else find this to be true in any aspect of their life?

I suspect that this is an issue for bipolars too.

I have difficulties with moderation. with buying things with food especially. I have trouble with moderation with alcohol. I don't know what it is being I have no control with these things.

all or nothing?

alcohol, lollies/choc. arguments. buying strange things. why buy one stick of gum, why not 16? either i am strange, or i have an obsession with multiples of everything.

my mum was trying to figure out the other day if i have always been 'showing signs' or if i developed this only...relatively recently. now she is remembering how weird i was as a kid. i....have no idea.

but yeh - i either buy nothing, or buy lots. eat nothing, or eat lots (which isnt relaly lots, but by my standards). no sugar or LOTS of sugar. my body must hate me, haha.

with work - more more more more, everything in life has to go faster harder until i crash. that may be sign of mania though ;)

I have Bipolar Type I, and I'm pretty good at moderation. Go figure.

Well like I said, I could be mistaken. I'm not going off of studies or anything. I just know that alcoholism has a high rate of comorbidity with bipolar so I was wondering if a lot of us have this issue or some or just a very few. Maybe it's just me having issues and has nothing to do with the bipolar. I'm trying to figure that out, that's all.

I totally have a problem with moderation. Particularly in the pot and alcohol section, but also in work/achievement, exercise, and food.

It's like enough is never enough.

I don't know if that is a biploar thing. Cause I have the MDD label...for me I think it comes from having a childhood were I felt like no matter what I did it could never be enough to satisfy my father.

Or maybe I just like to blame my parents for my lack of self control?

do you think maybe having an 'all or nothing' perspective, being obsessive to some extent, lacking self control, or not being able to determine boundaries is perhaps just a 'risk factor' for this... type of mental illness?

so - not everyone would have it, many people without bipolar share the same traits. so, it seems likely that this is just one factor that contributes to the likelihood of our 'predisposition' leading to a full blown disorder?

I'm not very good with moderation. I'm a recovering alcoholic--enough said there. I'm a recovering compulsive over-eater--enough said there. I love to shop on-line. My livingroom is often filled with boxes from purchases-and sometimes I don't even open them for awhile. When I'm on the manic side, I work a lot. When I'm on the depressed side, I work a lot less. I watch TV all the time. I spend a lot of time on-line.

One of the moderate things I do is sleep. I have set a sleep schedule routine. I used to sleep a ton. But then I will take afternoon naps.

It's usually all or nothing. Using a 12 step program, my eating is in moderation now.

Oreo

grudges held too long

i'm still holding a one-person boycott of a chinese restaurant in chelsea that started in 2002 when they messed up my order. given the fact that i don't work in chelsea. live in nyc, or even the us, anymore, this is probably a bit excessive. (but when i was back for a week last november, i gave the restaurant a dirty look, even though it hadn't opened yet, and told myself that the boycott still held.)

but, yeah, big problem with moderation. the '2 for ...' deals at the supermarket have probably been a source of my general financial ruin. i can keep things in moderation, but only if i really, really, really consciously try to.

Guest Guest_Newtonium_*

I get obsessions and go crazy on them. A few months ago I was obsessed with Led Zeppelin--it came from out of the blue; in fact I've never particularly liked them--and I just had to have everything about them I could lay my hands on. Spent money on books, clothes, CDs, surfed the Web for hours, downloaded every picture and story I could find. Then it ran its course, so now I have all this stuff and gigabytes of crap on the computer that will eventually be deleted. Soon another obsession will come up and I'll do the same thing. It's always been like that for me, even as a young person.

Medication does tamp it down to some degree, but I think it's just an inborn feature of my personality. It has worked against me in the romance department, because when I fall for someone I pursue (NOT STALK!!!) them. I'm a woman, and being pursued really freaks men out--they think I come on too strong, I guess, or it somehow emasculates them, I don't know. Fortunately my hubby isn't bothered by stuff like that I get him flowers on Valentine's Day. A lot of guys would run away from that.

Well, that went off track but I just want to say that I do think being intense and being BP go together!

I love to shop on-line. My livingroom is often filled with boxes from purchases-and sometimes I don't even open them for awhile.

i thought i was the only who did this, oreo. right now i'm eyeing a box from qvc that contains a digital camera i got about three weeks ago and haven't even looked at yet. i suppose i should open it before the return period runs out, huh.

in response to luna's original question, absolutely. a lot of extremes. food, shopping, reading, the puter, relationships. i'm trying to be aware of it and loosen up a little. i've realized i kinda mini-binge when i'm stressed - i'll eat a whole box of mac and cheese, or half a frozen pizza - and cheese makes me feel like crap, so this is really self-sabotaging.

interesting question, luna. thanks for bringing it up.

and jmb, i had to laugh about you giving the restaurant a dirty look. yeah, i've done that kind of thing. ;)

bean

I have Bipolar Type I, and I'm pretty good at moderation. Go figure.

Well like I said, I could be mistaken. I'm not going off of studies or anything. I just know that alcoholism has a high rate of comorbidity with bipolar so I was wondering if a lot of us have this issue or some or just a very few. Maybe it's just me having issues and has nothing to do with the bipolar. I'm trying to figure that out, that's all.

I suspect there are a lot of non-MI people who have difficulty with moderation, but on this board you're more likely to hear from Bipolar people who have trouble with moderation.

I would guess, if there is a link, that it's more of a link with depression. When people feel desperately depressed, it's very tempting to drink to numb the pain. And, with recurrent depression, drinking so easily can become a habit.

Or maybe I just like to blame my parents for my lack of self control?

My parents were the very epitome of rigid self-control. So maybe I was rebelling in the beginning? But now it's a way of life.

Oh, and clearance sales... give me a 75% off rack, and I can way overspend. And then I never wear the clothes, because it's not something I would have bought in the first place if it wasn't so clearanced. Clearanced jewelry, I buy the hell out of clearanced jewelry. i have so much I don't even wear some. But they're pretty and sparkly to look at.

Oh, and clearance sales... give me a 75% off rack, and I can way overspend. And then I never wear the clothes, because it's not something I would have bought in the first place if it wasn't so clearanced.

I don't even need things to be on clearance. I love to buy clothes. I have a good amount of things in my closet either with tags or that I've never worn.

Oreo

I'm actually pretty good at moderating myself - except when I'm hypo manic or full blown manic - then watch out! Even then, I have a tiny, little voice in the back of my head that will put a cap on what I'm spending/buying.

QUOTE (Rabbit37 @ Feb 24 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Oh, and clearance sales... give me a 75% off rack, and I can way overspend. And then I never wear the clothes, because it's not something I would have bought in the first place if it wasn't so clearanced.

I don't even need things to be on clearance. I love to buy clothes. I have a good amount of things in my closet either with tags or that I've never worn.

Oreo

If they're women's sized clothes, I'll take 'em off your hands! I've been wearing the same four pairs of pants since I ran away from the craziness! ;) kidding, kidding. However, you could try selling them on eBay. I've found that the high of selling things is much akin to the high of buying them.

Archived