CrazyBoards.org

I have a friend with DID

My friend, "Lucy" was recently diagnosed with DID. I don't know much about it, and I figured that getting answers from people who actually have the disorder would be best. I want to know as much as I can because I care a lot about my friend. What do I need to know and is there anything I can do to help her?

I don't have the disorder , but have been friend with people who do, so I'll ofer what I've learned.

This dx can vary so much. I'd recommend trying to talk to your friend about it. You might feel weird asking because you feel awkward, but I'd bet she would really appreciate you wanting to know more about what she is going through. She may feel its a mystery to her too and you two will have to figure it out as it goes.

Some people believe you should treat each "alter" as they present to you. Others believe you should never engage with "alters" only the "host". These are theoretical controversies and that's not your job to figure out. Being her friend I'm sure you'd want to do whatever makes her feel most comfortable and helped.

Anyway- long winded way of saying talk to her, she's the only one who can tell you what's helpful to her. And go with your friend instincts- its probably what you've been doing all along before there was a name attatched to her troubles.

( personally- I have always talked to my friends alters when they come out- kind of treating it like meeting a new friend, knowing they are part of her. If something sounds dangerous I might then ask to speak with her- the primary friend I guess you might say)

It may feel weird at first- if they even come out to you- sometimes they don't. Its unfamiliar so understandably a little scary. Remember this is a person you care about and do what you can to feel like you are being a good friend- but remember to take care of you too- and have some limits and boundaries too)

i think mrs loony said it all perfectly. especially the part about where you actually wanna know, and not avoid the subject when it comes up. confusing or not, just listening and asking questions (even if they feel stupid) means so much, because it's so rare for most of us.

your friend is lucky ;)

Archived