CrazyBoards.org

matter of numbers

Hello all

Got something buggering me? I have a lot unhealthy friends and by that I mean i have had alot of friends with ED. And really bad ones.

Are they as common as i have learnt to believe.

Does this happen to every girl?

Do they make friends with me?

Do I make friends with them?

Am I a Bad example?

ah i dont know

But how common are ED's How many peopl do you know?

I think it depends. A lot of people with ED's look for online friends because they are scared of talking about it in public. So therefore if they are online friends, or friends from ED treatment in person, of course you are going to have more ED friends, however if they are just random people you met, I don't know. There was a survey done at a college that out of all the people that they surveyed at this college, freshman to seniors, and staff only 9% of women were happy with their bodies. Thats sad. I think eating disorders are becoming more and more frequent which really scares me.

i don't know what's a normal way to deal with others when it comes to this. you and i are opposite in that regard.

i will not even come close (in person) to another anorexic. it is WAY too triggering. the need to compete is overwhelming.

i've had a few friends in the past who have struggled with binge eating and bulimia. but the majority of people i've known... nope.

i have a radar for anybody who's had a really fucked up childhood. that's who i seem to attract/seek offline.

-lys

I know you're stressing about this hon...I've known way too many women who have ED's...and I'm not talking about just poor body image either (every woman I know has that - EVERY SINGLE ONE). I'd say that of all the people I know right now, at least 2 woman have an ED and at least 6 of the men have ED's (gay guys seem to have a predisposition to ED's here in NYC).

Since high school, I'd say I've known at least 100 people who've had an ED (random figure, but it's A LOT). It's more common than people are willing to admit. My best friend in high school "dumped" me bc of it - she was anorexic and felt that she couldn't "compete" with me for the attention of men, so she didn't want to be friends anymore. It was the first true heartbreak in my life bc I'd supported her through her therapy and everything. Imagine my surprise when I found out my high school boy friend was bulemic!

My ex-h did the whole food control and over-workout thing...which I also think is a form of ED. I have an ED - I'll go on 500 calories a day for about 5 days and then lose it and go on 3000 calorie binges...and then feel a total shit and go back to the 500 calories...and then wonder why I can't lose any weight. It's neurotic. It's not just you...I'm sure people feel comfortable telling you these things bc you are a kind and caring soul.

I don't really have ED friends now-( but that's because I don't really have friends now)- however in the past- it was like we could smell eachother.

I had so many times of someone new coming into a situation and without even knowing ED or not- its like we were just drawn to eachother like magnets. And usually it was in the first 5 minutes meeting and talking that we would confide this in eachother. ( one girl just came right out with it- "Do you have an ED? yeah I thought so. Me too."

But I also know that even as it gets unfortunately more common, that not every girl has it. I think most every girl and woman will at some point in her life feel insecure about her body- most don't turn into a full blown disorder. Mostly I think because the disorder part is about so much more than weight and food. The control of weight and food is how we try to cope with the rest of it. Unfortunately the coping mechanism snowballs into a whole issue of its own , adding to the already present misery.

hey!!

Y i was guess that was a broad question, I know far to many people with problems but i often find the as catchy as gastro!

Bird of a feather flock together. jokes, long day.

But i know all my friends come to me to chat so i might know allot of people, relatively.

Anyway,

I'm tired!! Thanx for the replys

love ash

hey!!

Y i was guess that was a broad question, I know far to many people with problems but i often find the as catchy as gastro!

Bird of a feather flock together. jokes, long day.

But i know all my friends come to me to chat so i might know allot of people, relatively.

Anyway,

I'm tired!! Thanx for the replys

love ash

get some sleep, silly ;)

you're not a bad example and you're not an ED magnet.

(this is your conscience typing, not me hehehe).

but it's still a good topic.

hey hey!

More awake now!!!

Well it is interresting what you all say!! I think that i know allot of people is that i went to a boarding school, actually all used to starve ourselves as a bloody team, nothing like a little compitition tohelp you swindle out of control.

The reason i think i brought it up,is that its pretty much what most people talk to me about.

Which personally I don't thinks wonders for me as i am far to competitive.

I still think its interresting to see what other people have expierenced?

Luvies

Archived