CrazyBoards.org

I think...

my personal opinion is that as long as it doesn't seriously injure/hospitalize you, and isnt causing any real harm...it can be a good thing. i mean if someone is SIing to prevent themselves from doing something more drastic..it seems like the better alternative.and personally, i dont think everyone needs their own psychatrist. it can be hard to open up to someone, and i think that when people are so concerned about opening up because of worrying if the psychatrist might tell their parents(or who knows what else) it kinda defeats the purpose.

& im not trying to say that it cant be a real problem,

im just saying, that personally, i dont like it when people tell me to stop.

Okay. It's a fine line here, because this SI forum is about trying to find better ways of coping. I agree that SI is less destructive than suicide, compartively, but it is still destructive. I also agree that seeing a psychiatrist as a young person and having parents involved is difficult, and some parents aren't helpful. But I work in children and young people's services for mental health, and there are arrangements that psychiatrists come to to sort that out if need be.

Please don't post stuff here that glorifies or justifies self harm. It's fine to say you don't like being told that stopping is a good goal to have, or that there are better ways to cope. But if you start to post in a way that suggests you are glorifying self harm, I will have to take some action to remove those posts.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to say, on the SI board, that it's "a good thing" is irresponsible and immature. this is supposed to be a board for support, not for cheering one on. If you read the introduction, you will see that you will get stomped on for glorifying/glamorizing/encouraging it.

What Karuna said.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on a few things.

Personally, it isn't that big of a problem for me, I used to want to believe that it was because it's a lot easier to deal with than my other problems, but really it was just a distraction/coping mechanism.

It can be beneficial in certain situations wher the other options are far worse.

Of course, that doesn't mean I think it is good or really even that helpful.

It is still a maladaptive coping mechanism and isn't really healthy, just slightly more healthy than some other options.

Self Injury is sheer stupidity for me. Last time I SIed I was in hospital and triggered by all the self harming behaviour I saw around me (2 women beside me were severe self mutilators and needed stitches every day). I got a craving for SI like a drug and smashed a coffee jar and ripped my left leg to shreds for no reason. Ended up with over 40 stitches and my leg looks terrible. I cannot fathom why I did this. Psych hospitals are bad for me, they make me OD and SI and act like a borderline dick. No excuse for it really. Just trying to plumb the depths of experience I guess. And oh boy did I plumb them! And now I can't get out and I've wrecked my head for good. Oh well, maybe clozapine will help... but I doubt it.

• 1 month later...

I have mixed feelings about SI, so I'll just stick with the "anti-SI" thing.

For me, SI is incredibly addictive and I have very little self control so I know that what might start out as a scratch, turns into full on gashes all over my body.

It is way that I can "deal" with all my anger without harming anybody else, but it's just temporary relief like any substance. I just have to be intensely aware of why I want to hurt myself, and what else I could do instead.

i cut myself to deal with stress in high school, but after i moved out at 18 i felt a lot better and havent done it since. it was helpful to me i think, and i never cut too deep so i wasnt physically comprimised. that being said, theres plenty of ways/people that overdo it.

Archived