CrazyBoards.org

Problems, depression, and anxiety can be normal

(PLEASE, people, don't mis-interpret this! I KNOW there is also a group who truly DO NEED meds. I am not trying to infer anything about you. But "SDRL" is in HS. Problems are - can be - 'normal'. Nothing I've seen in her posts indicate she's out of control or in danger. It really appears to me that she needs help 'working through' things that easing them away with meds.)

While no one would disagree that normal teen problems are normal for teenagers in high school, way too many real issues end up never being worked through because well-meaning adults like you assume that as long as the kid isn't dressed in black and toting a rifle to school her problems can't be all that bad. All she has to do is keep breathing and everything will be fine.

Back in the real world, even mild depression over the long haul can screw up a person's life. Incomplete education, failed careers, poor socialization, it all can stack up until the pile is too high to crawl out from under later in life.

Sorry Mr Null0trooper but I'm a bit confused with this. Your earlier posts seemed to fit well with what Steve said and Steve's words sound good to me. As far as 'Personal shit'. Steve we are not professionals and can't talk about pro' things, but we can talk about our experiences and that's what Forums are about which pro's can't do. Them being restricted to their own experiences which may be not an empire of knowledge. This may not be true because I only got it by here say but I was told that a good proportion of the uni shootings were found to be by children coming off Ritalen. I have also read that an extremely high proportion of children experience an episode of depression. Most certainly therapy (Sports and exercise and healthy food and Tdocing) should be the first move. Drugs should only be used where there is extreme danger or chronic complications. Nature may be producing mild depression in teens as a training for the future. This theory is in keeping with the fact that if we run to the Dr and get an anti-biotic every time a kid sneezes then their immune system will weaken. WE NEED to deal with D & A to some extent to strengthen us and to perform well. Drugs are like the proverbial instruction book 'when all else fails'. Apart from this by my own experience no matter how well a drug works there will come a time when it will 'poop' whereas exercise and healthy living won't. And for the kids with behavioural problems a good slap on the arse will do less damage than a life of drugs. My daughter is studying nursing and has done work experience with kids and MI. She says that a very high proportion are caused by recreational drugs. It's logical that since we all react differently that there will be a significant proportion who are there because of indiscriminate use of prescription drugs.

Bash me up if you will (good exercise), but don't take a tranquilliser(Bad) because of what I have written.

Drugs should only be used where there is extreme danger or chronic complications.

That's your opinion and Steve can agree with you if he chooses. Neither of you, nor your daughter the nursing student, are licensed psychiatrists or therapists. The teenager in question HAS a doctor and and a therapist, and until I see a very good reason to do otherwise, I'll take their recommendations over either of yours.

As to "WE NEED to deal with D & A to some extent to strengthen us and to perform well. " You are dead wrong. Dealing with major depression and clinical anxiety disorders is not something a person would "NEED" at any age, and it's not like you will be the person cleaning up after a child commits suicide because his or her concerns have been written off as teenage angst or something needed to toughen the brat up.

Moreover, if you can't understand that there's a major difference between feeling blue because your boyfriend dumped you and depression, between dreading the next exam and full-blown panic attacks (which are a deadly combination with average teenage driving skills) then you really have no need to be discussing the topic. If it's more a matter of being too arrogant to understand that severe mental illness can strike people before your local age of majority, I have less reason to entertain your opinion.

As to the patronizing comment about taking a tranquilizer because of something you've written, rest assured that the day hasn't dawned when you will have written anything worth me making the effort to take one on your account.

Drugs should only be used where there is extreme danger or chronic complications.

That's your opinion and Steve can agree with you if he chooses. Neither of you, nor your daughter the nursing student, are licensed psychiatrists or therapists. The teenager in question HAS a doctor and and a therapist, and until I see a very good reason to do otherwise, I'll take their recommendations over either of yours.

As to "WE NEED to deal with D & A to some extent to strengthen us and to perform well. " You are dead wrong. Dealing with major depression and clinical anxiety disorders is not something a person would "NEED" at any age, and it's not like you will be the person cleaning up after a child commits suicide because his or her concerns have been written off as teenage angst or something needed to toughen the brat up.

Moreover, if you can't understand that there's a major difference between feeling blue because your boyfriend dumped you and depression, between dreading the next exam and full-blown panic attacks (which are a deadly combination with average teenage driving skills) then you really have no need to be discussing the topic. If it's more a matter of being too arrogant to understand that severe mental illness can strike people before your local age of majority, I have less reason to entertain your opinion.

As to the patronizing comment about taking a tranquilizer because of something you've written, rest assured that the day hasn't dawned when you will have written anything worth me making the effort to take one on your account.

Wow!! We sound a little angry. Sure you wouldn't like a tranquilliser? Sounds like my unqualified opinions have bothered you even though you deny it. Contradictions, contradictions. This place is so much fun. I strongly disagree with what you say however I am not bothered by it. The comment about needing some anxiety and depression to help us perform came from a very reputable Tdoc. Too much and we stress out and become ill. Too little and we tend to become complacent and perform poorly and I can see this even if you can't! The thing I wonder about with you is that whenever you disagree with someone (and you often do) you tend to stick a barb in them. I have not decided whether you do this purposely or if it is just your style of writing. But you would do well to relax and not get too personal with people you don't like. BTW I think Steve and I were agreeing with the persons doctor. You have misread somewhere. I didn't think my quip about tranquilisers was patronising (1. intransitive and transitive verb be condescending to: to treat somebody as if he or she were less intelligent or knowledgeable than yourself

Encarta

Wow!! We sound a little angry. Sure you wouldn't like a tranquilliser? Sounds like my unqualified opinions have bothered you even though you deny it.

Who was just advising "you would do well to relax and not get too personal with people you don't like."?

The comment about needing some anxiety and depression to help us perform came from a very reputable Tdoc. Too much and we stress out and become ill. Too little and we tend to become complacent and perform poorly and I can see this even if you can't!

Name this very reputable therapist who claims that clinical depression and anxiety disorder are necessary to performance. That's what this site is targeted to - clinical mental illness, not the aches and pains of everyday life, not the common dramas of the high school experience.

BTW I think Steve and I were agreeing with the persons doctor. You have misread somewhere.

No, you have. While her doctor (pediatrician, not a psychiatrist, but still a medical professional) was said to be uncomfortable prescribing psych meds to her patients, the doctor DID write a prescription. You've decided that "Drugs should only be used where there is extreme danger or chronic complications." That's not the level of crisis that the person's own doctor is waiting for.

I didn't think my quip about tranquilisers was patronising (1. intransitive and transitive verb be condescending to: to treat somebody as if he or she were less intelligent or knowledgeable than yourself

That's how it came across, and you're only reinforcing it.

Wow!! We sound a little angry. Sure you wouldn't like a tranquilliser? Sounds like my unqualified opinions have bothered you even though you deny it.

Who was just advising "you would do well to relax and not get too personal with people you don't like."?

I don't dislike you! I think you give some very sound advice to people. As Olga says non of us have a monopoly on truth.

The comment about needing some anxiety and depression to help us perform came from a very reputable Tdoc. Too much and we stress out and become ill. Too little and we tend to become complacent and perform poorly and I can see this even if you can't!

Name this very reputable therapist who claims that clinical depression and anxiety disorder are necessary to performance. That's what this site is targeted to - clinical mental illness, not the aches and pains of everyday life, not the common dramas of the high school experience.

We were talking about mild depression and anxiety. and I thought we could have an opinion on things such as 'high school experience' or whatever on CB.

BTW I think Steve and I were agreeing with the persons doctor. You have misread somewhere.

No, you have. While her doctor (pediatrician, not a psychiatrist, but still a medical professional) was said to be uncomfortable prescribing psych meds to her patients, the doctor DID write a prescription. You've decided that "Drugs should only be used where there is extreme danger or chronic complications." That's not the level of crisis that the person's own doctor is waiting for.

As soon as it goes beyond what a pdoc would classify as normal blues then the person is in extreme danger. Beside I think your interpretation and mine could not be the same, the words are not sufficient to put precise values on things as to where the cross over is. And I would not contradict a Pdoc who obviously has more knowledge than I. Just stating I agree with the plan. Most Dr's agree that patients should become involved in their treatment. You may think I'm a bit nosy sticking in on other peoples treatment but you are entitled to do that.

I didn't think my quip about tranquilisers was patronising (1. intransitive and transitive verb be condescending to: to treat somebody as if he or she were less intelligent or knowledgeable than yourself

That's how it came across, and you're only reinforcing it.

Sorry I can't see it. I do not think of you as less than I. You most likely have had more experience and thus knowledge than I. I would not suggest otherwise because there is no way I could know.

Thanks for the discussion. It is fun doing it without being personal or rude.

Thanks for the discussion. It is fun doing it without being personal or rude.

Which has been moved to the depression forum, as the need for and utility of exercise and the nature of the "alternatives" board was getting buried.

Also, if you want to discuss "when are meds necessary for depression" or even "just how bad is bad" this is the place to do it.

It is possible to be a therapist AND have experience with depression -- uh.....geez. Needing practice in clinical depression and anxiety? That is really out there and no "reputable professional" would EVER say such a nonsensical thing. As for people being angry about it? It is upsetting to have someone come on here and stand behind such out and out harmful poppycock because some "professional" somewhere (tell me he doesn't have a license, Please!) said such rot! Don't spout nonsense if you don't want people to get upset.

Archived