CrazyBoards.org

I have been on it for maybe 3-4 weeks. Now up to 150 mg. I haven't had any side effects yet that I know of. Just really thirsty, but who knows since I'm taking other meds that could do that.

So since it won't let me search on the boards for effexor xr I'd like to know how this medication effected you and if it worked [please state what it worked for] .

I'm on it for anixiety, I like the way it doesn't make you UBER sleepy.

Thanks in advance ;)

Katerina,

Read my thread below .. it is called "I Want My Husband Back!" My husband has been on 450mg effexor xr for approximately 4 years. He is also on Mirapex. Both of those have well known (terrible) side effects .. so not sure which is the biggest problem for my husband .. mirapex or effexor?

There are others that have posted their personal experiences with Effexor on my thread.

My thread .. I warn you, is pretty negative, in regards to Effexor. (.. And probably pretty exhausting to read.)

You must remember that medications affect everyone differently. So, more than likely you will not have the same problems.

Best,

LL

Katerina,

Read my thread below .. it is called "I Want My Husband Back!" My husband has been on 450mg effexor xr for approximately 4 years. He is also on Mirapex. Both of those have well known (terrible) side effects .. so not sure which is the biggest problem for my husband .. mirapex or effexor?

There are others that have posted their personal experiences with Effexor on my thread.

My thread .. I warn you, is pretty negative, in regards to Effexor. (.. And probably pretty exhausting to read.)

You must remember that medications affect everyone differently. So, more than likely you will not have the same problems.

Best,

LL

That is a HUGE dose of effexor, hmm. The only thing I could think of as a side effect is for me with these sorts of medications I mostly feel blank, which can be really annoying and a big problem for some. For example, before when I was on another antidepressant I felt even more depressed because I didn't feel as intensely as i used to and started to feel hopeless, like giving up on everything (took a HUGE toll on my grades and relationships). Maybe he is feeling that way and he really needs to talk about this with a therapist. It helped for me, but it took me a while to want help to get better which is to me, necessary to getting these problems solved.

I kind of am upset at my p-doc for not telling me the side effects since I am so sensitive to these things! grr.

Probably why she's going to keep it at 150 mg. ;)

I haven't had too many issues with Effexor XR. I sweat when I sleep and have some crazy dreams. That's about it. I felt a little foggy-headed when I first started taking it. I've actually had less side effects with Effexor XR than when I took Lexapro, which has a reputation for a cleaner side effect profile. *shrugs* YMWV

This is my 3rd time back on Effexor. I'm BP1, so pdoc would prefer an alternate med to control my anxiety if we could find one. We've tried soooo many alternatives. Unfortunately I have a bad case of GAD and nothing works as well as Effexor for me. So here I am back on it again with an increase in mood stabilizers to prevent an upswing. I LOVE Effexor, not for depression, but for anxiety. I think I have developed special neurotransmitters for it by now. ;)

Pdoc plans for me to try Cymbalta when it becomes available in Canada, but for now it's my beloved Effexor. It's just hell to discontinue...

I agree on the hell to discontinue...its also hell to continue again after you have discontinued! ;) I had a pretty low dosage but it killed my appetite, numbed me to the core (which in hindsight might've been a good thing), and when I got back on it it gave me terrible shaky hands.

The plus sides to the med for me were the numbing qualities and the fact that it doesn't knock you out like some of these meds tend to do. But the shaky hands freaked me out...thats when I was switched to prozac. As someone mentioned earlier...every med works differently for everyone. Hopefully you have better luck with it than I did.

it's been good so far, anxiety wise, its like ... woosh gone. can be a bad thing since im not as worried when prjects are due and what not Haha!

Hi Katerina,

I don't know for sure, but the 150mgs that you mentioned in your first post, I THINK, is relatively "safe". (Again, I'm not positive.)

What I DO KNOW, is that on 450mgs, I believe that my husband has lost ALL anxiety, "healthy" and bad. He doesn't seem to care that he tells a customer that he will be there the next day .. and then he just doesn't show. (It's crazy!)

Anyway .. it sounds like you're paying attention to what is going on with you while still new on the Effexor, that's good.

Take Care,

LL

Archived