CrazyBoards.org

Prices without insurance?

Anyone have any info about how much ADD meds cost before insurance is applied to them?

My insurance has crappy prescription coverage. I went and picked up my Adderall today and without insurance, it was priced at $275. With insurance, it was $230. I can't really afford that anymore. I'm seeing my pdoc in March so that I can try something different, but I wanted to know what was cheap so that I could do some research before the appointment. My pdoc likes my input on what we decide, and I get flustered when I only have his description and haven't been able to read about my options before hand... and this time my options are going to be the lowest costing drugs.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Anyone have any info about how much ADD meds cost before insurance is applied to them?

I usually get the generic for Adderall. According to the pharmacy, 5mg x 60 would be $85. My AD, desipramine, is sometimes prescribed for adults with ADD who cannot or should not have a stimulant or Wellbutrin. 25mg x 60 is $18. The cost is below my copay.

My pdoc likes my input on what we decide, and I get flustered when I only have his description and haven't been able to read about my options before hand... and this time my options are going to be the lowest costing drugs.

I know how that feels- I'm the same way with my pdoc (or any doctor..lol)..gotta do your research!

Anyway-- drugstore.com is a great resource for this kind of price-checking, I do it all the time since I have to do out of pocket for my insurance (supposedly get reimbursed someday..) and it's helpful to figure out what I can afford. I also take generic adderall and have had no problems with it, it's a LOT cheaper iirc.

Another thing you can ask is to see if your pdoc is willing to prescribe a smaller number of bigger pills that you can then split because most of the time it's charged by the number of pills, not by their strength.

ex: if you take 10mg, and he usually gives you 30 days worth, then ask if he can write the script for 20mg pills - but 15 days worth, and you can just get a pill-splitter and only have to pay for 15 pills rather than 30. note though, that this only works with pills that can be cut-- so adderall XR (or any extended/time-released pills) wouldn't work with this method

goodluck, also, let your pdoc know that you have money concerns-- they might have some ideas and be able to prescribe some 'older' meds (ex: generic adderall rather than the newest version from the pharma company), I bet they'd be willing to work with you-- no point in prescribing something that you won't even be able to fill the script for..

luck, check out drugstore.com and *generics!*

m

I usually get the generic for Adderall. According to the pharmacy, 5mg x 60 would be $85. My AD, desipramine, is sometimes prescribed for adults with ADD who cannot or should not have a stimulant or Wellbutrin. 25mg x 60 is $18. The cost is below my copay.

Wow I forgot I even posted this topic.... wellll that's ADD for you, huh?

I forgot to be specific, I take XR, and I guess there isn't generic for it ;)

My pdoc likes my input on what we decide, and I get flustered when I only have his description and haven't been able to read about my options before hand... and this time my options are going to be the lowest costing drugs.

I know how that feels- I'm the same way with my pdoc (or any doctor..lol)..gotta do your research!

Anyway-- drugstore.com is a great resource for this kind of price-checking, I do it all the time since I have to do out of pocket for my insurance (supposedly get reimbursed someday..) and it's helpful to figure out what I can afford. I also take generic adderall and have had no problems with it, it's a LOT cheaper iirc.

Another thing you can ask is to see if your pdoc is willing to prescribe a smaller number of bigger pills that you can then split because most of the time it's charged by the number of pills, not by their strength.

ex: if you take 10mg, and he usually gives you 30 days worth, then ask if he can write the script for 20mg pills - but 15 days worth, and you can just get a pill-splitter and only have to pay for 15 pills rather than 30. note though, that this only works with pills that can be cut-- so adderall XR (or any extended/time-released pills) wouldn't work with this method

goodluck, also, let your pdoc know that you have money concerns-- they might have some ideas and be able to prescribe some 'older' meds (ex: generic adderall rather than the newest version from the pharma company), I bet they'd be willing to work with you-- no point in prescribing something that you won't even be able to fill the script for..

luck, check out drugstore.com and *generics!*

m

Ahh! Again... sorry about not being specific, I take Adderall XR, and have been told by my doctor that there isn't generic for it. He doesn't think I'll like the regular one because it isn't as smooth... but he is willing to prescribe it if it comes to that. Same with Ritalin.. he doesn't think I will like that either (I think he said if you work good with one you usually don't with the other), but he would let me try if I had to. It's just hard since I'm at school 3 1/2 hours away and I don't really want to start with a new doctor here, just because I have been with my other one for so long and I will only be here for a little more than a year. So if we decide to try something new out and I don't like it, I can't just stop on over for another appointment to discuss it because I'll be far away by then.

I'll definitely take a look at drugstore.com, thank you so much for that suggestion! I've discussed with him the money issues before. He gave me a ton of those "free trial" coupons and I just went to different drugstores and used them, and then my brother broke his nose, and we reached our deductible, and I didn't have to use them anymore because I was getting them absolutely 100% free (I miss those days!)... but after the new year when our deductible restarted, I told my pdoc I still had coupons I could use, but then shortly after realized they were expired and just lazily started paying full price!!

Any pharmacist should be glad to tell you the prices on any drug they carry, though waiting in line or on the phone can be a pain.

Check out http://www.drugstore.com They are an online US pharmacy. I've used their website to check prices many times before and found they were within about 10% - 15% of my local pharmacy's full retail price, and they usually have generics listed too. Click on the "Pharmacy" tab at top.

Good luck, a.m.

Archived